Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 17th 2021, 12:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Spouse of Scouse - mild mannered, flip flop wearing concierge

And by night?
Old Jun 17th 2021, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The old 'no one will lose their job' thing. A local store said the same thing, even had the employees saying it. A year later and their staff numbers have halved. I don't shop there anymore.

If they had to keep the same number of staff they wouldn't go to the expense of installing self check-outs.
Short term it may not lead to lay offs since they haven't gotten around to automating stocking, and online order picking yet, but I am sure that is in the works.

Old Jun 17th 2021, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They already have 20+ item lanes at some Wal-Marts, go right for 20 items or less, and left for 20 items or more, the 20 items or more side has more space such as the photo above, and 20 items and less side, more machines but less space in bagging, the store probably has 40-50 self check outs in total now, but still typically has 1 cash lane open most of the day for now.

Long term, what Amazon is doing on a small scale in the US is likely what will happen, wont even need self check out machines in the future. But this tech is still being perfected by Amazon.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy but I look at that photo and think, yes, there's plenty of room there compared to the self checkout areas I'm used to seeing.

And then I think about how I normally unload my items onto the conveyor belt without thinking of what should go first because the cashier will do that and by the time I've finished half my stuff is already scanned and bagged. As I lift the bagged stuff back into my cart a few more things have been scanned and then what's left is bagged by me and cashier, job done.

Now I imagine me and my full cart at that self checkout. What should I scan and bag first. I'd like to do that thing first but it's at the bottom of the cart as one of the first things I bought. Regardless it's me now scanning and packing and having to bend down to put 6 bags on the floor to make room on the stand for the other bags, oh bugger it, that bag just fell over as I lifted the one next to it, picks up items and put back in bag, puts that one on floor, carefully this time, and then I'm done.

Now to bend and pick up half a dozen bags...ooops...there goes my back from bending down (or maybe my blood pressure drops from down and up multiple times).

Aside from all that, I look at the space needed in that picture, consider how the cart needs to be backed out and all the rest...and I'm thinking that in the usual line and cash desk set-up where one goes through and is replaced by someone from behind, you could probably fit one cashier and two or three customers with carts, with the items scanned and bagged in a fraction of the time.

From the store's angle, how much do they lose by not having the tempting stock at the cash desks?
Unless the store is reducing employee number - as JG mentions - I can't see anything in it for them unless people buy less, perhaps visiting more often to make up for it.

Perhaps in future they'll have a 20 items or more lane.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 17th 2021 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting on the deck listening to the light rainfall sound of millions of defaecating caterpillars. Not even kidding.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 3:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be a long day.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 2:27 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's going to be a long day.
I see what you did there.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 10:29 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you're the only one.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 2:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't me.

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 6:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Moncton's version of Stonehenge

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

WTF has happened "over here" in the Canada bit?

I haven't seen so many active threads and so many unread posts in years.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 3:30 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Moncton's version of Stonehenge

why did I instantly think of this

Old Jun 24th 2021, 4:19 am
Account Closed

I was thinking today, if I make it to 75, I will smoke pipes and drink vodka like it's water.

Old Jun 24th 2021, 4:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was thinking today, if I make it to 75, I will smoke pipes and drink vodka like it's water.
A bit like my mum then, she's 88 and scoffs vanilla slices and chocolate every chance she gets (which is often!)
Old Jun 24th 2021, 5:39 am
Account Closed

A bit like my mum then, she's 88 and scoffs vanilla slices and chocolate every chance she gets (which is often!)
At a certain age, it just don't matter anymore, have fun to the end.

Old Jun 24th 2021, 5:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Should we capitalize the word nazi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.