Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Apr 27th 2021, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Government employees need to be less mean.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 5:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Government employees need to be less mean.
I could not agree with you more. Government agencies need to hire people with empathy and kindness.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly thought the interview I had last week went well. I guess it didn't in the end.

Old Apr 29th 2021, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I could not agree with you more. Government agencies need to hire people with empathy and kindness.
Bollocks they need to hire people who want to do their jobs and feel good about doing it and providing a service to the public who pay our wages. Now in saying that some Agencies need to have clear mandates about what they do and how they do it without masses of grey. Why should I have empathy or kindness to someone who cheats on their taxes or smuggles narcotics/weapons into Canada?
Old Apr 29th 2021, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Moving into the BC Housing unit today. We got the keys Tuesday and it was 30c inside as the heaters are stuck on and wont shut off. We told them this when we viewed it a month ago, but it never got fixed.

They dont know when they can fix it. They only had a month to deal with it.

But that level of heat is simply too hot for me. May need to sleep in the car. Lol

Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Anyone know how to get rid of ants? That wont also kill a dog.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've found a liquid ant killer like Terro or Raid is the best thing for killing ants, as the workers take it back to the nest and so it kills the workers and the queen. The liquid contains borax and a sweetener attractant.

I've never had to worry about a pet, but I understand that you can buy Terro either as the bottle that I use, or as a packet containing 7 "stations", which are sealed and not accessible by pets.

You put either drops of the liquid or one of the "stations" (that's what the company calls them!) along regular pathways used by the ants ....... so you need to work that out first.

I understand that you can also buy ant killer that contains diatomaceous earth, which is considered safe for pets.

Check out Canadian Tire or Home Hardware.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I've found a liquid ant killer like Terro or Raid is the best thing for killing ants, as the workers take it back to the nest...

Check out Canadian Tire or Home Hardware.
Yep, these things have worked for us.

Anything bigger than an ant can't get in to access it.
I note the label says not to let pets play with them but our curious cat didn't play. This might be because they have a peel off thing (the bait, not the cat) so you can stick them and as they don't move they're no fun.

But you should be able to fix them where they can't be got at, like between something and a wall.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the bait traps worked or not so wanted opinions.

Went with the Terro brand simply because it was an 8 pack for same price the Raid 4 pack cost

But I imagine they all work on the same concept.

Haven't had ants before really so wasn't sure what works.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Note that you will see an increase in ants along the trail(s) where you put the bait traps ........ the first workers take the information back to the nest that there is this yummy food, and so more and more go to get it.

Don't worry, they all take it back to the nest where they gradually all die .... you won't get lots of dead ants to clean up!!
Old Apr 30th 2021, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yep, these things have worked for us.

Anything bigger than an ant can't get in to access it.
I note the label says not to let pets play with them but our curious cat didn't play. This might be because they have a peel off thing (the bait, not the cat) so you can stick them and as they don't move they're no fun.

But you should be able to fix them where they can't be got at, like between something and a wall.
I would be worried about a dog chewing it.

Salt is supposed to stop them…ants that is, not dogs. Ants will not walk across a line of salt.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would be worried about a dog chewing it.

Salt is supposed to stop them…ants that is, not dogs. Ants will not walk across a line of salt.

They came with sticky pads and I put it under the little overhang for the patio door, and put a box in front so Charlee wont get to it, she probably wouldn't have, but not hard to take a couple extra steps to keep the dog extra safe.

Hopefully they will get the heat fixed, its a wee bit hot inside, windows are open, but 28-32 inside is too warm for me.

First floor so can't keep all the windows open when we have to go out, so that is when it is the worst, a few hours with the windows closed.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ants will not walk across a line of salt.
Does it have to be pentacle shaped?

Old Apr 30th 2021, 6:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does it have to be pentacle shaped?
Yes, because you want them to be trapped and unable to get out. If it has 5 sides and confines them, it's a pentaprison.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 7:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yes, because you want them to be trapped and unable to get out. If it has 5 sides and confines them, it's a pentaprison.
And it's there the repentants endure their penants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.