Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Sucks for the people who got pretty much no warning their jobs were gone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/huf...sing-1.5942533

HuffPost Canada is no more, Buzzfeed shut them down today.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If all goes to schedule, in 6 years Vancouver should have a new hospital, construction apparently started today on the new St. Paul's, when completed the current St. Paul's will close.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0018-000412
Nice to have a brand new hospital, but the old St Paul's will then be no more ........... parts of it demolished, other "heritage buildings or frontages kept, and redeveloped in to more high rise condos and apartment buildings.

Thus leaving what is already home to thousands and thousands of people without medical care close-by. It is not long ago that the West End was described as more populous than Manhattan in New York, not sure what the comparison is like now.

The West End is also home to lots of senior citizens and HIV patients, though I believe the Dr Peter Clinic will remain.

It remains to be seen how public transit will be increased to make easy access to the site ...... at present it is not good. As well as once again destroying low income housing, and gentrifying the local area.

The site is right next to the Pacific Central Train Station, terminus for The Canadian to Toronto which currently runs twice a week, Amtrak trains/coaches to the US with several departures a day, and coaches serving the US, BC and Canada, on the old Greyhound routes. Not to mention the homeless who populate the area around there, sleeping in the park outside the station.

Parts of the new hospital could be quite noisy!

Some things good, but often leave difficult things behind.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The density for Manhattan is 71,341 people per sq mile vs West End at 61,741/sq m.

I just wish they would have made the new hospital bigger so it would more easily meet population growth, while its an increase in overall beds, I fear by the time it opens it will already be too small, similiar thing happened in Abbotsford, while the new hospital was bigger, by the time it opened it was already too small really.

City whole vs city whole for NYC and Vancouver, NYC is way more dense, but west end and Manhattan are not as far off. I quite like the West End, there is some BC Housing there, but nobody leaves unless they die...

Originally Posted by scilly
Nice to have a brand new hospital, but the old St Paul's will then be no more ........... parts of it demolished, other "heritage buildings or frontages kept, and redeveloped in to more high rise condos and apartment buildings.

Thus leaving what is already home to thousands and thousands of people without medical care close-by. It is not long ago that the West End was described as more populous than Manhattan in New York, not sure what the comparison is like now.

The West End is also home to lots of senior citizens and HIV patients, though I believe the Dr Peter Clinic will remain.

It remains to be seen how public transit will be increased to make easy access to the site ...... at present it is not good. As well as once again destroying low income housing, and gentrifying the local area.

The site is right next to the Pacific Central Train Station, terminus for The Canadian to Toronto which currently runs twice a week, Amtrak trains/coaches to the US with several departures a day, and coaches serving the US, BC and Canada, on the old Greyhound routes. Not to mention the homeless who populate the area around there, sleeping in the park outside the station.

Parts of the new hospital could be quite noisy!

Some things good, but often leave difficult things behind.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 3:38 am
Account Closed

Bad news from home. My sisters husband has cancer, stage 3 the doctor thinks, waiting on a body scan to see if it has spread and get confirmation of the stage.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 2:21 am
Account Closed

This is what I call a cool job.

Old Mar 12th 2021, 12:51 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

DHL are taking their sweet time delivery my passport from HM passport - not even in Canada yet!

I don’t know understand why the tracking is telling me it went to Ohio (it’s been back and forth between NYC and Ohio over the last day or so) - shouldn’t have needed to have gone to the USA.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
DHL are taking their sweet time delivery my passport from HM passport - not even in Canada yet!

I don’t know understand why the tracking is telling me it went to Ohio (it’s been back and forth between NYC and Ohio over the last day or so) - shouldn’t have needed to have gone to the USA.
Chances are that DHL use their US hubs much like UPS & Fedex for freight to North America. Ever noticed that the vaccines coming from Europe destined for Canada come via the USA.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Chances are that DHL use their US hubs much like UPS & Fedex for freight to North America. Ever noticed that the vaccines coming from Europe destined for Canada come via the USA.
This. DHL North American hub is in Ohio, not surprising it went to Ohio first.

Then depending on service level it may go straight to the destination by flight, or travel around on a truck through other sorting facilities on it's way.

The most direct route is not always the most efficient for these companies.

Have they missed the delivery deadline given? That is all that matters at the end.

Impressive they will ship via private courier. I still need to renew my now expired US passport and private couriers are not allowed either direction, has to go by mail and returned no tracking of course.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 12th 2021 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 5:11 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not been keeping on track with the news about vaccines so no. When I sent the passport via FedEx, it went via Nashville but moved within the day on to the UK. DHL seemed to sit on it for almost 2 days. It’s finally at a sorting facility in BC (I’m guessing Vancouver) so I feel happier.

Have they missed the delivery deadline given? That is all that matters at the end.

Impressive they will ship via private courier. I still need to renew my now expired US passport and private couriers are not allowed either direction, has to go by mail and returned no tracking of course.
No it’s due delivery by end of the day. One thing I did like was that I could forward the delivery to a DHL pick up point before the package has even arrived. I can collect from there.

It’s an effort trying to deliver it to the apartment building and even as a Amazon Prime member, I get everything delivered to a local CP office that I order.

Even a Canadian Passport is delivered via track and trace with Canada Post.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Mine went from Durham to somewhere near Heathrow to Cincinati to Montreal and then by truck/van etc to Ottawa.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 6:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While the drive to Ottawa from Montreal isn't that bad. We did it on weekends when going to visit the in-laws who lived in Kanawake outside of Montreal and Jim lived in Gloucester just outside of Ottawa.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

If your living in the US, you can get quicker delivery and tracking of passport if you pay extra. But when living in Canada the only option for return is regular mail which doesn't include tracking, but I suppose I am lucky they those of us in Canada apply by mail, if living in most other countries a trip to the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate is required, the hardest part is paying the fee, have to make sure the payment is in US$ drawn on a US account.

Would be nice if they accepted credit card payment online though, would be so much easier.

Not been keeping on track with the news about vaccines so no. When I sent the passport via FedEx, it went via Nashville but moved within the day on to the UK. DHL seemed to sit on it for almost 2 days. It’s finally at a sorting facility in BC (I’m guessing Vancouver) so I feel happier.

No it’s due delivery by end of the day. One thing I did like was that I could forward the delivery to a DHL pick up point before the package has even arrived. I can collect from there.

It’s an effort trying to deliver it to the apartment building and even as a Amazon Prime member, I get everything delivered to a local CP office that I order.

Even a Canadian Passport is delivered via track and trace with Canada Post.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

A reddit post mentioned the store being closed, not like Wal-Mart to close a store for a week without warning.

Maybe COVID related?

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...almart_closed/

Old Mar 13th 2021, 1:14 am
Bex in the city

A reddit post mentioned the store being closed, not like Wal-Mart to close a store for a week without warning.

Maybe COVID related?
Thanks for that

So glad I checked this thread. I was going to go there tomorrow.

Hope it’s not closing for good and it’s just temporary

Old Mar 13th 2021, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Skip to the end to see the finished project. It's pretty cool, and unique, not everyday you see a home saltwater aquarium with a view from the outside. Oh the things money can do...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.