Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 1st 2021, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Golly must be emotional for those who have spent decades at one company in one job to retire....watching last flight videos.

Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Golly must be emotional for those who have spent decades at one company in one job to retire....watching last flight videos.

https://youtu.be/Ow4mOAf_R68
I think it depends on how much people have enjoyed working
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Too true. I think neither I or MrBEVS enjoyed the work we did for the most part. I know MrBEVS felt a huge sense of release when he knew he would not need to be a plumber anymore.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no doubt.

I've met more pilots over the years who loved their job than hated it, but then with the time, effort, money, and dedication needed to become a pilot, I could see it a little more skewed towards people doing it because they enjoy it.

Other than my job at the zoo from 1996 to 1998 and the airline from 1998 to 2003, every other job I hated, but I doubt I would ever grown to hate the airline job, working for an airline is just fun.

Note there is a difference between working for an airline and working at a contract company, when I worked at Vancouver I wasn't working for an airline, and while I enjoyed working near aircraft, ground handling companies largely suck to work at, not comparable to being directly employed by an airline.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Golly must be emotional for those who have spent decades at one company in one job to retire....
Or TV/Radio people who won't be addressing their audience anymore.

I mostly enjoyed my 30+ years for the same employer - a few name changes for the employer and different buildings along the way.

But on my last day I felt good and didn't even have a 'do' after work. To be honest I didn't much like working in that office and they were not my favourite colleagues either. But on that Friday I had too much to do before that small matter of moving to Canada on the Sunday.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

............. or how many outside interests ("hobbies") they have.

I worked for over 30 years for one employer, the Botanical Garden at UBC (not as a gardener though!), but I seemed to have what I did change roughly every 10 years during that time. Sometimes I no longer continued with what I had been doing for the previous 10 years, sometimes I carried on doing much of it in addition to the new responsibility.

But I loved working there ....... it was MY decision to take early retirement, I suddenly felt it was time to change, and to pick up some of my outside interests.

It actually felt good, although I was a little sad at leaving. I certainly didn't cry!

OH worked until his mandatory retirement age, felt he could have gone on for longer ....... but he was offered the chance to continue parts of his previous responsibilities if he wanted. That worked for him, although he usually wasn't paid for most of that! He actually had an office out at the university for another 15 years!

It's important to plan ahead for post-retirement activities, whether that is building a cottage, making wooden toys for children, tracing family history, volunteering somewhere.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Being a pilot would certainly have been high on my list of careers, had I been blessed with the correct aptitude. I did try, so I can say I tried even if I failed, I did try and trying is something at least.

My dad spent 35 some years with the same employer although in different jobs, a government entity of sorts, and he couldn't leave fast enough, he hated it by the end, and saved up all his vacation and sick days for a few years so was able to retire about a year early with all the banked time, of course having a pension allowed him to retire early, if he had to rely on social security he would have to work an extra few years and probably would still be working as he needs 3 more years before he is old enough to collect full social security.

Oh the benefits of being from a generation that got pensions,

Old Mar 1st 2021, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Almost like being back in 1972 youtube is a time machine in some ways. Also interesting seeing prices from back then.

Paul the showcase winner in 1972, reappeared 40 some years later on the show, although a little aged.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 1st 2021 at 9:33 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

I wish everyday I could go back home and be near family, and things that bring me enjoyment.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

I like this house. Crazy how cheap they are back east.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ve-truro-truro
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I like this house. Crazy how cheap they are back east.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ve-truro-truro
A bit more for your money with this one. $20k less too.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...rt-ave-moncton
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A bit more for your money with this one. $20k less too.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...rt-ave-moncton
It's a nice one too.

I only look primarily in Nova Scotia as supposedly the mental health area is better when compared to neighboring provinces, but don't know for sure as I have not lived in either place and going strictly by what people have said.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Default Random stuff - the anything else thread

Looks like Sky Regional will close its doors as Air Canada shifts all express flying to Jazz leaving Sky Regional without any aircraft to fly.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strateg...142678.article

Old Mar 3rd 2021, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

I have decided to do a tweet a day this year to try and bring attention to the issues facing lower income Canadian's. I don't expect it will do anything but best I can think of since letter writing doesn't work either.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 3rd 2021 at 4:52 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2021, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Got an email from healthcare access program today, they finally explained the whole thing a bit more, it wasn't as it first appeared, its basically a job bank for employers in need to search through resumes and contact people. The way they originally introduced it last fall it appeared it was a way to receive training and get a job, so but quite as it appeared at first.

My resume is apparently still active, and has been since September will take a wild guess and say there isn't any interested employer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.