Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 17th 2021, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
"The bank says I can’t afford a $950 mortgage so I pay $1400/$2100 a month in rent instead."
Perhaps the bank didn't take account of the mortgage replacing the rent - sort of decided they couldn't afford the mortgage and the rent.

I had something similar many years ago when I was paying off a credit card debt with sizeable monthly interest meaning a chunk of what I paid each month didn't reduce the debt.
I applied for a card that was advertising zero interest on balance transfers for a year but got turned down as I "couldn't take on additional debt".
But it wasn't taking on a new or additional debt, it was transferring an existing debt and it would have involved clearing the debt much more quickly with all of the monthly payment reducing it.

Of course I understand that banks prefer a customer who is paying interest on a debt but why offer interest free balances if they don't want someone taking advantage of it?

Old Feb 17th 2021, 1:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps the bank didn't take account of the mortgage replacing the rent - sort of decided they couldn't afford the mortgage and the rent.
More likely to be the requirement that mortgage repayments can't be more than X% of income.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is it. The photo is a joke meme that goes around.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
More likely to be the requirement that mortgage repayments can't be more than X% of income.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 17th 2021 at 4:52 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 5:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I keep getting letters from my bank saying they were offering me a loan, but I'm too old to get a loan from them, and they must know that. You have to be of working age.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 8:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Merica baby!

Old Feb 17th 2021, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the mentality of some in Texas, and elsewhere, but seems his comments even went a bit too far for conservative small town Texans. He claims he resigned prior to making the comments, but none of the media sources could confirm that, apparently his wife was fired from her job over his comments.

Originally Posted by Danny B
Merica baby!

Old Feb 17th 2021, 8:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's the mentality of some in Texas, and elsewhere, but seems his comments even went a bit too far for conservative small town Texans. He claims he resigned prior to making the comments, but none of the media sources could confirm that, apparently his wife was fired from her job over his comments.
Those Texans are weak.
They should be out hunting caribou and seals, and then get the females of the family to make warm clothing from their hide. Melt the snow for fresh water. What is up with people?
Old Feb 17th 2021, 9:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Merica baby!

That is beyond disgusting. What a sightless uneducated utter fool.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Those Texans are weak.
They should be out hunting caribou and seals, and then get the females of the family to make warm clothing from their hide. Melt the snow for fresh water. What is up with people?
Neither Caribou nor seals in Texas. Rain barrels solves the water problem and an open fire pit can be your stove.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He went bonkers with this posting but not everything he said is wrong.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

3% inflation rate coming our way soon?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...rce=reddit.com

Prices already climb too much too quickly, can only imagine how much worse things are going to get.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

3% inflation rate coming our way soon?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...rce=reddit.com

Prices already climb too much too quickly, can only imagine how much worse things are going to get.
Someone has to pay for governments locking down countries for month after month and that will be us, the consumer.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Upside after like 6 or 7 years we have moved from the BC Housing general registry to actually being on waitlists for specific buildings, downside the wait will still be pretty significant most likely since turn over in the buildings we are on the waitlist for is pretty low, as in some don't see anyone move out for years.

Being a childless couple doesn't help us, we would actually get housing quicker if we were not married or had a kid, either one will speed the process up.

Old Feb 17th 2021, 11:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Neither Caribou nor seals in Texas. Rain barrels solves the water problem and an open fire pit can be your stove.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He went bonkers with this posting but not everything he said is wrong.
I was surprised and a little flabbergasted to be told by a friend affected by the power cuts in Texas that she didn't have candles, a bbq or camp stove, matches, a torch (flashlight) nor anything else to have light or heat water (oh and no bottled emergency water either). She's from Canada, so thankfully had some winter coats / hoodies / touk etc., and huddled under the blankets for 20 hours. In this day and age, shouldn't we have at least some basics to tide us over in the event of an extended power cut (even if we don't have a generator). Thankfully the blackout of 2003 was in summer (with 50 million people affected), but it made me think about ensuring I have some'essentials' that I always keep in stock.. including my old balti warmers that run off tealight candles and provide enough heat to warm some beans or soup using a balti pan or similar.
Does anyone else keep a few basics in place?
(I made sure I learned how to make a 'hobo' stove too, lol)

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 17th 2021 at 11:37 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I was surprised and a little flabbergasted to be told by a friend affected by the power cuts in Texas that she didn't have candles, a bbq or camp stove, matches, a torch (flashlight) nor anything else to have light or heat water (oh and no bottled emergency water either). She's from Canada, so thankfully had some winter coats / hoodies / touk etc., and huddled under the blankets for 20 hours. In this day and age, shouldn't we have at least some basics to tide us over in the event of an extended power cut (even if we don't have a generator). Thankfully the blackout of 2003 was in summer (with 50 million people affected), but it made me think about ensuring I have some'essentials' that I always keep in stock.. including my old balti warmers that run off tealight candles and provide enough heat to warm some beans or soup using a balti pan or similar.

A small earthquake kit, but to be honest if the big one hits and I am not home, chances of accessing it are pretty slim, and if a big one occurs, not sure I will remember to grab it. It's pretty basic, some matches, some candles, flash light, radio and batteries, some canned food and freez dried food, mylar emergency blankets, band aids, some gauze pads, advil, rubbing alcohol, water purification tablets, 4 small water bottles filled with water, 6 cans of dog food, a doggy jacket, and a couple dog toys, Charlee needs emergency rations too. Its all in a bright pink back pack near the door. Oh there is a can opener and spoons and forks as well, probably a few other things, I am going off memory here. The pink backpack was chosen so it is easier to see and spot quickly in the dark especially, it has some glow in the dark tape on it as well, oh I think there are some glow sticks too for emergency basic lighting needs.

Food in it could be stretched to 4 or 5 days, will be hungry, but enough to sustain enough energy until hopefully help arrives, but in a big quake, there is really no way to prepare to a point where you wont need help simply due to the damage that will occur, buildings are designed not to collapse in quakes or provide enough time for escape, but they may not be habitable after a big quake.

Water is heavy, and plentiful in this region, so I chose to just put in 4 small bottles and save weight, I have never lived far from a freshwater source anywhere in BC, may as well save space and weight and use natural water sources with purification tablets.

No ability to store rain water in condos and apartments so rain barrels are out of the question. Probably warmer inside without heat and jackets than outside near a fire but eh I haven't done the test to know for sure, just seems being inside out of the wind would help considerably in staying warm?

None of the food in the kit requires heating, its all safe ready to eat, although would taste better warm, but isn't necessary.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 18th 2021 at 12:26 am.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

We have an earthquake kit, as Jsmith says, we live in an earthquake zone, get many small quakes every year, and we are always being threatened with "the big one is due".

We do forget to keep the kit up-to-date though ....... ie renew the water, make sure tinned food is not out of date, make sure there is a 2 week supply of prescription pills, etc.

But we also still have the generator that we needed when we had the cabin, a camp stove, torches in every room, good supply of candles, matches, and a wood burning fireplace with wood stored. We also still have winter-weight sleeping bags, in addition to spare duvets and blankets. We also have one small Sony radio and loads of batteries.

Of course, we also have to hope that we can access all of these, which might be iffy if it is a quake!

We know from our daughter who has endured days without power in NS after major storms ............ wrap the freezer in sleeping bags/blankets etc to keep it as cold as possible, and don't keep opening fridge or freezer.

I've had 24 hours without power here in Vancouver in early spring ............. OH of course was away! A neighbour got out their camp stove, phoned others and said "bring a thermos and we'll give you hot water to make tea or coffee".

Good neighbours!

Went to bed early, cuddled down over night with a couple of duvets, had candles in every room but found it hard to read in candlelight. I could look out my kitchen window to the east and see the candles in the house across the street ........... but the annoying thing was that the houses across the street to the north still had power! They were on a different system.

The neighbours who supplied the hot water were without power for a further 24 hours after most of us got the power back ........ a minor effect of the outage was at the pole at the back of their property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.