Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 11th 2020, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Getting up at 6am is apparently too early for the dog. She promptly went back to bed.

I really miss working for an airline and having flight benefits, all those I know who still do are always going on such fun trips. (even though I worked at the airport providing ground service to airlines in recent years, I was not employed by an airline and thus no flight benefits, only option in Vancouver really is Air Canada, and they don't like me, so no travel for me....)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 11th 2020 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like snow in Vancouver.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...uck_eastbound/
Old Jan 13th 2020, 4:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Nothing like a snowplow either. That's just a truck with a blade. Mind you, for Vancouver one these will probably do.
Spoiler:

Old Jan 13th 2020, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Well it’s Monday again, it’s nasty out, but fortunately I’m retired and don’t need to go to work anymore. So I’m planked in my big chair, TV is on a sports channel (DAZN) with sound off and ALEXA is playing me some nice music by one of my favourite singers, Matt Munro, IMO one of the great male voices of the 20th.Century. Such an easy voice to listen to. And my wife is making me lunch as I write.
LIFE IS GOOD FOR ME TODAY, AS IT IS MOST DAYS.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Well it’s Monday again, it’s nasty out, but fortunately I’m retired and don’t need to go to work anymore. So I’m planked in my big chair, TV is on a sports channel (DAZN) with sound off and ALEXA is playing me some nice music by one of my favourite singers, Matt Munro, IMO one of the great male voices of the 20th.Century. Such an easy voice to listen to. And my wife is making me lunch as I write.
LIFE IS GOOD FOR ME TODAY, AS IT IS MOST DAYS.
You watching the Masters snooker?
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nothing like a snowplow either. That's just a truck with a blade. Mind you, for Vancouver one these will probably do.
Spoiler:

What kind of snow plows do you have over your way?
Old Jan 13th 2020, 10:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of snow plows do you have over your way?
I suppose they're technically Tractors and generally have two blades on like this one.

I can't swear to it but I'm sure they are used exclusively for snow clearing.

I can't find any pics of the bigger ones.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 3:39 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 14th 2020, 7:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I suppose they're technically Tractors and generally have two blades on like this one.

I can't swear to it but I'm sure they are used exclusively for snow clearing.

I can't find any pics of the bigger ones.
Local authorities in the UK used to pay local farmers to plough the smaller roads they couldn't get to, but it's a good few years since they decided they couldn't afford to pay them, so the local roads away from the main roads just get left, causing a lot of problems.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
I wonder...did they catch the killer that was shown decapitating his victim in the background about half way through?
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Local authorities in the UK used to pay local farmers to plough the smaller roads they couldn't get to, but it's a good few years since they decided they couldn't afford to pay them, so the local roads away from the main roads just get left, causing a lot of problems.
I think that probably happens here, a bit, too. The City website makes reference to its own crews but also says that contractors "assist" so I guess they do the more minor roads. Maybe the sidewalks in town too.

Probably with the important difference that it's paid for come what may because it would be impossible otherwise rather than problematic.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
That's pretty cool. I was looking at photos on FB I took of myself 10 years ago when visiting San Diego, man 30 to 40 is a huge amount of aging compared to 20 to 30. Gained a solid 20-25 pounds in the same time period.

I was thinking today about something, wonder if I had been born in 1989 if I would have been more tech savvy being able to grow up in a more tech advanced world, I wasn't exposed to windows or computers until I was pushing 20 years old and never really got it, but maybe if I had been exposed to tech/computers etc from a younger age, maybe I could have been more tech type.

My high school didn't even get windows PC's until 1997 a month before I graduated and only like 6 of them...lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 14th 2020 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmith...size doesn’t matter! But surely Bristol and I DO have bigger ones than you

We have great bit snow ploughs coming up and down all day. In Labrador an NS possibly bigger than us.? But...I am advised that our snowfall here in NB is rather awe inspiring when it gets going...I hadn’t fully realized the implications before arriving here

Our snow isn’t pretty, it’s horrible, messy and affects life daily. My husband has gone for winter, but I have to get outside every morning and the dog walked and weeed and me out at a certain time...it just becomes a pain. Copable with...yes, but an added pain in the neck to basic daily life, most certainly.

My husband is from Victoria and often complains (when he is here) “I don’t remember shoveling rain in Victoria”! I promise, he has gone away to work...and is not lying in the frozen ground under the patio ...yet!
Old Jan 15th 2020, 12:45 am
Oscar nominated

...I wasn't exposed to windows or computers until I was pushing 20 years old and never really got it, but maybe if I had been exposed to tech/computers etc from a younger age, maybe I could have been more tech type.
You've got me thinking now.

Not including calculators, my first experience with computers wasn't until I was 30 and then it was only data input. It was another 8 years before I had anything to do with my department's intranet and I was 40 before I had anything to do with anything 'Office' and that was Word.

About the same time I bought myself an old computer that had W3.1 and practised what I'd learnt on a short beginner's session on excel I took advantage of at work
My own computer (hard drive - 3gb and dial-up) and the fabulous world of the internet was when I was 42.

How things have changed since then!!
Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Proud to be living in Kamloops.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...arty-1.5426868

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.