Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Well we were one of the first off the plane so we legged it down to passport control. No lines up on the Canadian/PR side but all other passports there was a small line up.

Basically there is about 20 of these scanning machines and they look like the things at airports that BA have to print off your boarding pass.

You scan passport/PR card and then you scan your customs form. If everything goes ok then you get a print out of your form and you give it to customs guys when you exit....
Okay, ta. I've seen the check in machines before but not used them.

Does that print a luggage label as well as the boarding card? Or is it only if no luggage? The idea of labeling your own luggage and then having it sent to Australia or somewhere by mistake is a little disconcerting.

"legged it"....that's been a long time no hear
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Does that print a luggage label as well as the boarding card? Or is it only if no luggage? The idea of labeling your own luggage and then having it sent to Australia or somewhere by mistake is a little disconcerting.

I think becki is talking about the scanners when (re-)entering Canada, not check-in machines (on departure), although they are somewhat similar.

For whatever reason, neither version has ever liked or accepted my passport/documents so I tend to ignore them & head to the human beans.

"Legged it" made me grin too
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of airports around the world that have the check-in kiosks (including Pearson in Toronto). A few airlines have now moved to exclusively using the kiosks for check-in (with a staff member or two hovering around the kiosks to assist). The kiosks will print luggage labels as your boarding card, and you attach the labels yourself, and then carry your luggage to a luggage drop-off location, where airline staff place your luggage on the conveyor.

I actually don't mind having the luggage label printed, as it gives you a chance to confirm the destination of your luggage (the luggage label looks exactly like the label you would get from the airline desk) - I had a flight from point A to point D, through points B and C. My luggage tag only went as far as point C. After inquiry, I found out that I had to pick up my luggage at point C, and then recheck it (new tag) for the last leg of the trip. Had I used the desk, I may have assumed that it would go all the way through, and ended up at point D with no luggage. (Ironically, I arrived at point D with no luggage, but that was because it didn't make the plane between points B and C)

Biggest stress is putting the luggage tag on, since it stresses me out a bit to not 'screw it up'
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Biggest stress is putting the luggage tag on, since it stresses me out a bit to not 'screw it up'
Self check in, no meals, extra for a bag...I wonder how long before we have to fly the plane ourselves.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Self check in, no meals, extra for a bag...I wonder how long before we have to fly the plane ourselves.
With increasing connectivity of the world to the Internet, the development of VR technology - may come a time where one never needs to actually 'go' anywhere to experience it (which would be kind of sad)
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

With increasing connectivity of the world to the Internet, the development of VR technology - may come a time where one never needs to actually 'go' anywhere to experience it (which would be kind of sad)
I think the opposite. In spite of the technology, people will want to experience things in person (or face to face) even more. Fuel costs permitting.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Just as he starts toward the taxi-way get all the other passengers on the junket to shout in unison "Take this plane to Cuba!"
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well we were one of the first off the plane so we legged it down to passport control. No lines up on the Canadian/PR side but all other passports there was a small line up.

Basically there is about 20 of these scanning machines and they look like the things at airports that BA have to print off your boarding pass.

You scan passport/PR card and then you scan your customs form. If everything goes ok then you get a print out of your form and you give it to customs guys when you exit.

Funnily no one was interested in my passport, only my PR card lol
There are about 20 of those machines at Pearson and I've always been in a line up for them tho it does move fairly quickly. Then there is a line up of grim faced CBSA people who grunt at you and point you in the right direction, eith out or to the people in booths for more questions. If you mark that you have food they ask you what you have then give you a "why are you bothering me" look when you say that it's chips, or Christmas pudding, or candy.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
If you mark that you have food they ask you what you have then give you a "why are you bothering me" look when you say that it's chips, or Christmas pudding, or candy.
or PG Tips lol
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:46 pm
Oscar nominated

PG Tips
My invention.

For the person who likes to dunk their biscuits but doesn't like crumbs at the bottom of their cup:

It's a sort of elongated tea-strainer and you dip your biscuit in and any crumbs or floppy bits are saved from drowning when you lift the strainer to drink your tea/coffee.

Just $39.99, two for $70. Paypal accepted.

(perhaps this should go in the retirement planning thread )
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie the Eagle returns to Calgary; 'Eddie the Eagle' soars again for young fans in Calgary | CTV News
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to fly four, or more, legs a week until WebEx was invented. That technology allowed people to experience me without my having to go anywhere.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's my brothers funeral on Friday and I won't be there.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:50 am
Oscar nominated

Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I used to fly four, or more, legs a week until WebEx was invented. That technology allowed people to experience me without my having to go anywhere.
By sad, I meant that there may come a time when people take 'virtual travel tours' - where they can 'walk around' say Angkor Wat, without having set foot in Cambodia - without understanding the local perspectives and challenges etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.