Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
By sad, I meant that there may come a time when people take 'virtual travel tours' - where they can 'walk around' say Angkor Wat, without having set foot in Cambodia - without understanding the local perspectives and challenges etc.
That's an interesting mixed blessing, people may not fully experience the place but then they're not wearing it out either.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So the other TWP at work as been in a strop all day today because the CIC want more evidence of her marriage before they grant her PR. This is for the husband that was on her original application, who she then took off as he decided he wanted a divorce, they didn't get divorced and he wants to try again so is back on the application. He lives in India still. She needs to supply photo's of the wedding which she hasn't got, hmmmm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
...She needs to supply photo's of the wedding which she hasn't got, hmmmm.
Stinky might be available for wedding photos.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:15 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's my brothers funeral on Friday and I won't be there.
That's sad
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:54 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Stinky might be available for wedding photos.
This one aspect of photography that I have never done and one of the few that can earn you a reasonable amount of money

Canada named 2nd best country in the world…again, report finds - National | Globalnews.ca

Oinky- you are wrong
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:10 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's my brothers funeral on Friday and I won't be there.
I'm sorry Siouxie, sending you a lovely hug
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
This one aspect of photography that I have never done and one of the few that can earn you a reasonable amount of money

Canada named 2nd best country in the world…again, report finds - National | Globalnews.ca

Oinky- you are wrong
To quote the article, "Canada didn’t do so well in the “Heritage” category, scoring 2.5 overall and placing 41 in the rankings . . . As a country known for poutine, beaver tails and ketchup chips, Canada scored 0.9 in the “has great food” sub-category. They also only scored 0.2 for having “a rich history” and two points for having “many cultural attractions.”

When asked for comment on the overall ranking, the President for the Society to Help the Lobotomized, drooled, "It meets our communities' needs, that's for sure."

Last edited by Oink; Mar 8th 2017 at 2:52 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
To quote the article, "Canada didn’t do so well in the “Heritage” category, scoring 2.5 overall and placing 41 in the rankings . . . As a country known for poutine, beaver tails and ketchup chips, Canada scored 0.9 in the “has great food” sub-category. They also only scored 0.2 for having “a rich history” and two points for having “many cultural attractions.”

When asked for comment on the overall ranking, the President for the Society to Help the Lobotomized, drooled, "It meets our communities' needs, that's for sure."
That was just one category that they didn't excel in! They didn't do particularly well under the movers category-I would have thought that Pickford's would have won that one... I am actually amazed that cultural influence scores at number 11 considering our musical heroes here are the Biebs, Nickelback , Avril Lavigne and our own local heroes, Cod Gone Wild... I suppose playing lacrosse and clubbing seals also possibly dropped us down the rankings a little bit

Obviously I moved here "because of the kids" and therefore feel vindicated in view of their fifth ranking there, and number one in education… How the effing hell did they judge that one?????

The quality-of-life category is a little bit subjective to say the least which partly depends on for example whether you have a job, how much holiday you get per year , whether you have to pay for expensive medications out-of-pocket and presumably also whether you have spotted a moose in open country... It was probably that last one that swung it for the Canucks.

Nice to see that North Korea didn't come bottom of the corruption perceptions Index-it was beaten into place by Somalia and South Sudan. The United States came 41st last year in the World Press Freedom Index-apparently this year they are rumored to be down from those lofty heights to number 181-below Eritrea
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
The quality-of-life category is a little bit subjective to say the least which partly depends on for example whether you have a job
or want one

how much holiday you get per year
52 weeks
whether you have to pay for expensive medications out-of-pocket
Oh yes...(taking away the fitness and money to enjoy the holiday time) Should be able to make up for that now but not in the way I originally hoped.
and presumably also whether you have spotted a moose
A raccoon was my best...although I think I saw a groundhog in the back yard. Thought it was a beaver at first.
Oh...and fireflies too. That was something.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh...and fireflies too. That was something.
When I was carp fishing here with a man from Bristol back 12 or so years ago we were night fishing and he said "Look, there's someone over there, with lights." He'd never seen them so I guess you don't have them in the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
He'd never seen them so I guess you don't have them in the UK.
According to BBC they can be in the UK but another search result suggests Belgium would be the nearest to see them.

Over here was my first time - and I've not seen any since - but it was like something out of this world as far as I was concerned.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

One by one 'the others' have come down with colds. Mother in Law first, then stepson and, today, stepdaughter.

The speed with which they each succumbed suggests it's my turn tomorrow.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some really interesting characters ride the # 14 bus in Vancouver.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:49 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Spoiler:

The Number 14 is a hilarious ride
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:35 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yep, it's an interesting route. So is the # 20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.