Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Co-incidentally I heard a related story in the pub at lunch time.
Appears there was a barman who kept a log of every cocktail he mixed including date and time....over his many years working behind the bar.
When he applied for a new job and was asked about his experience he just opened his numerous logbooks...got hired immediately.
Now there's ingenuity!

Last edited by Davita; Sep 17th 2016 at 1:39 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not good. Better then what I have ever created alone, but still not what I would call good or effective.

I honestly don't think I have any achievements, none that I can think of in the workplace anyhow.

Skill wise, not sure what I have. At least in the form that employers would want or be looking for.

I'll see what I can come up with today and post it.

I can't guarantee it will be better or good though.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Negative Nellie here again - with apologies I realize that preferences/styles vary widely from province to province. However:

Your resume lost me (my interest) within the first few lines. Job/position/duties/skills/achievements should be up front & "jump out" at me.

Your "relevant experience" section is very vague & actually tells me nothing concrete, & doesn't inspire me to read down & find out what *actual* experience you have . To be brutally honest, it reads like a template.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 17th 2016 at 5:28 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A few cosmetics here and there, perhaps? Like thick lines, bullet points maybe?

Here's the one they did for my stepson. (surprised I still have it) There's not much 'history' since it was done soon after graduating. Work in 2013 was added later.

I think it needs a complete do over. I may need to find a short term loan and just pay a professional resume writer, I think the fact I have never been able to create an effective one means it's time to just pay a professional.

Is 30-35 minutes commute so bad? Were you closer when applying in the past?

There's another thread (Toronto) where someone is used to an hour each way and would be happy for the same in Toronto - although that might only be a few hundred yards there from memory.
If we had 2 cars it would be fine.

When I applied in the past, one was in the 2006/2007 time frame when living in Edmonton and the other was around 2013 when I was living in Vancouver.

Both places have at least one store.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 17th 2016 at 5:16 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If we had 2 cars it would be fine...
Ah yes...half an hour isn't as simple as it sounds if in the wrong direction and the one car is going the opposite way....or in use at the 'wrong' time.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

A few cosmetics here and there, perhaps? Like thick lines, bullet points maybe?

Here's the one they did for my stepson. (surprised I still have it) There's not much 'history' since it was done soon after graduating. Work in 2013 was added later.
The one they did for me this past week (co-op) is quite similar. Some notes
The "goal/objective" has been replaced with a cover letter.
"References available on request" - because if you provide references willy nilly the employer won't look at the resume and instead just immediately phone all your references.

Agree with the cosmetics, thats one of the things they did with mine.

A sample of my resume and cover letter attached.

Note all of the BS corporate "buzz words" "Motivated" "Responsible" etc.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Resume redactewd .doc (40.0 KB, 55 views)
Cover Letter redacted.doc (24.0 KB, 36 views)
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think it needs a complete do over. I may need to find a short term loan and just pay a professional resume writer, I think the fact I have never been able to create an effective one means it's time to just pay a professional.

If we had 2 cars it would be fine.

When I applied in the past, one was in the 2006/2007 time frame when living in Edmonton and the other was around 2013 when I was living in Vancouver.

Both places have at least one store.
I just internet searched "how to write a good résumé " and came up with loads of good links, why on earth would you need to waste money that you don't have?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
On Tattoo's, maybe its a big business in the UK compared to Canada or the US?

At least getting a free paid for course while getting benefits + unemployment money can't be all that bad a thing, then when the 'Tattoo' course is finished, do a 'cosmetic' course. Lifetime student on benefits.

Bristol did you know that in the UK HE including university is no longer free, quite expensive, meaning that most students have to get a grant/student loan, which has to be paid back when the get a job & earn over a certain amount.

So, for someone over 60 they can go to University with a grant & never have to pay it back, reason being 'they will never work or earn the payback level income

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/overview
Tattoo courses will further someone's life in Prison, full time work, well paid with cigs and dope, someone is thinking ahead.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
things are still good Bristol, maybe better than folks are aware of

I used me & the missus, both pensioners getting joint pension

I filled in the student calculator with the following result, I would get £17,200 on top of our old age pensions. £9000 would go to tuition fees, with the £8200 maintence loan, which wI would never ever pay back because I would never work.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-c...me/social-work

Wonder if we we could both go HE & double bang on the tuition subsidy?

I can imagine, if I try really hard, you both as freshers at Manchester Met?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:44 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The one they did for me this past week (co-op) is quite similar...Agree with the cosmetics, thats one of the things they did with mine.
I like the double underlining
"References available on request" - because if you provide references willy nilly the employer won't look at the resume and instead just immediately phone all your references.
Or they just toss it thinking "well, if he can't be arsed to provide contacts..."
I always hated that stuff from job descriptions.
"Accurately assess...." yes, because otherwise I'm going to do it so it's full of errors
"gather and collate all relevant information to enable..." No, I'm going to leave out all the important bits
"Liaise effectively with..." No, I'm going to do my best to make it awkward for colleagues and/or partner agencies (look, I used buzz words ) so we mess things up.

BTW Gozit, when can you start?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:13 am
Account Closed

I've used websites as guides in the past and still don't seem to create something of interest that works. So just thought a professional writing company might be able to create one that does work.

I am working on one now using the ones here and online as a guide, so we will see how well I do.

Most if not all the sites I find on resumes as well, are geared towards people with education, lots of skills and accomplishments, and I am not sure how to turn one of those into one for someone like me with limited skills, no education, and no accomplishments.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I just internet searched "how to write a good résumé " and came up with loads of good links, why on earth would you need to waste money that you don't have?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 17th 2016 at 8:37 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the one you worked up with all of us before looked pretty good, remember I told you to put the gift shop at San Diego Zoo in?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The one they did for me this past week (co-op) is quite similar. Some notes
The "goal/objective" has been replaced with a cover letter.

Agree with the cosmetics, thats one of the things they did with mine.

A sample of my resume and cover letter attached.

Robotics. Impressive. Our son did that quite a bit from about age 10-14 with the Lego NXT series.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:53 am
Account Closed

First of the one I am working on. Dates are approx, I don't have exact start and end dates, but the years are correct, its just the months might be off a bit.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I thought the one you worked up with all of us before looked pretty good, remember I told you to put the gift shop at San Diego Zoo in?
I remember the gift shop part you mentioned, I cannot recall if the resume from above is the same one though.
Attached Files
sample resume.doc (37.0 KB, 62 views)
with zoo.doc (38.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 17th 2016 at 10:05 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 10:47 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Robotics. Impressive. Our son did that quite a bit from about age 10-14 with the Lego NXT series.
Daniel Sturridge or Peter Crouch?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

2nd one.

I used a free website for this one, and they only allowed it to be saved pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
smaple resume 2.pdf (31.8 KB, 60 views)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.