Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Wikiposts

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Seems based on the poll mentioned in the article, 48% pilled live check to check.

We certainly do. One late check and nothing can be paid. We have little debt, just the car but rent kills us eating up half our income roughly.

If we were paid late, rent would not be paid on time.

And no way on the planet we could come up with emergency funds, if there is an emergency we would be up the creek.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2924699/ha.../?sf35308153=1
Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And no way on the planet we could come up with emergency funds...
There was a similar thing done recently for the UK but the emergency sum there was £500 with one in three not being able to do it as opposed to one in four not coping with $2000.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 4:55 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite - I squirrel money away and live on a budget until I need it and I am not on a good salary in Vancouver, I just know how to budget and handle money. My mother calls my 'tight' but I call it being 'careful' - I've got better with age though and I'm about to blow a load of it on a trip to Halifax and NS - woop woop.

It is always good to have an emergency fund though
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I'm the opposite - I squirrel money away and live on a budget until I need it and I am not on a good salary in Vancouver, I just know how to budget and handle money. My mother calls my 'tight' but I call it being 'careful' - I've got better with age though and I'm about to blow a load of it on a trip to Halifax and NS - woop woop.

It is always good to have an emergency fund though
DON'T DO IT.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There was a similar thing done recently for the UK but the emergency sum there was £500 with one in three not being able to do it as opposed to one in four not coping with $2000.
My younger son lives pay-cheque to pay-cheque except when he has to call on the Bank of Dad. Bloody internet banking.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
...I just know how to budget and handle money...
It's a very underrated ability. Not just budgeting but juggling too. Or was that what you meant by handling?

I remember when I was buying my house way back and my mortgage was taking a hefty whack of my wages. If I was a bit short, I'd join my mum on a Tesco trip, use my credit card for her stuff for which she'd give me cash and I'd have an interest free, fee free, cash advance.

Even now there are times when faced with an unexpected bill (like on the duplex ) I'll pay by a credit card and then transfer the balance to another card to get a low interest rate. Zero if I do the same thing with a UK card.

(important to pay off while still a low or nil rate of course, but even if you don't make that, it can still work out well)
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is the same but the Bank of Mom has been declared closed and business license suspended.

Agree about not blowing a wad to go to Nova Scotia. Have a stepson there and not a place I would spend money on going to unless it was to see the grandson.

Go to Lake Louise instead.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived pay-cheque to pay-cheque. Don't recommend it, but needs must sometimes

Just wanted to add that if one's pay-cheque arrives late, & one can provide proof thereof, the consequential delay in paying one's rent shouldn't be held against one (ymmv, depending on province).

Bank-of-Mum is pretty much closed here, & always has been. Dad is still a soft-touch...

Have a great trip to NS, Beckiwoo, why wouldn't you, if you can afford it? .
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:17 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Have a great trip to NS, Beckiwoo, why wouldn't you, if you can afford it? .
I'm just a bit concerned that since Beckiwoo has indicated a desire to leave Vancouver, she might be on a recce trip to Halifax.

Vancouver is shit, but Halifax is distinctly shittier.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm just a bit concerned that since Beckiwoo has indicated a desire to leave Vancouver, she might be on a recce trip to Halifax.

Well, there is that...
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:46 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad to say it but many (not all, but many and possibly most) live paycheque to paycheque due to the acquisition of bad habits.

It has been said that personal financial management should be a mandatory subject in every Canadian highschool. It would sure as hell be more useful and possibly life-altering (in a good way) than calculus (although I actually enjoyed calculus).

How many people living in precarious financial circumstances spend $6 every single day on a mochafrappacrappacino? I know what it's like to be low-income. In my mid-20s I was earning a pittance. I lived within my means. It can be done.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:48 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by viajero
Sad to say it but many (not all, but many and possibly most) live paycheque to paycheque due to the acquisition of bad habits.

It has been said that personal financial management should be a mandatory subject in every Canadian highschool. It would sure as hell be more useful and possibly life-altering (in a good way) than calculus (although I actually enjoyed calculus).

How many people living in precarious financial circumstances spend $6 every single day on a mochafrappacrappacino? I know what it's like to be low-income. In my mid-20s I was earning a pittance. I lived within my means. It can be done.
Well, thank you for your insight Mr. Micawber.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:50 am
Banned

Might I suggest that you preface this with "In my opinion".

Last edited by viajero; Sep 7th 2016 at 6:58 am.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:53 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by viajero
Fixed it.
I'm happy to accept your edit, although it does contravene the site rules.

Have you had time to look at them?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:55 am
Banned

Well, thank you for your insight Mr. Micawber.
Mock me all you like but what seems to obvious to me - live within one's means - is lost on a great number of people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.