Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Wikiposts

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by Oink
But that's artificial in the LM. That's due dto emand and supply in the economics in the local real estate sector rather than inflation and demand and supply in the labour market. The way the US deals with this, is to have enough slum areas where rents are affordable relative to wages.
No, it's true everywhere these days and I'm not just talking about Canada.

I'll assume the bolded bit is part of your usual "I don't give a f***" attitude, slightly disguised as sarcasm.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
Well, Vancouver has the east side....
It does but only a small area is "affordable" and that is not very suitable to raise a family. You need a patchwork of poor and expensive towns within a larger area to make it really feasible. Plus, you'd need to alter the funding model of public services (education, healthcare etc) so it's more localised, otherwise it becomes financially untenable.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 7th 2016 at 8:30 am.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:26 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
DON'T DO IT.
Can it possibly be as bad as Vancouver (except the weather and lack of mountains).

Originally Posted by Rete
My daughter is the same but the Bank of Mom has been declared closed and business license suspended.

Agree about not blowing a wad to go to Nova Scotia. Have a stepson there and not a place I would spend money on going to unless it was to see the grandson.

Go to Lake Louise instead.
Already been twice and I love it there but want to see more of the country.

The bank of mum (I love that phrase ) closed a very, very, very long time ago for me. I have never asked my mother for money.

I'm just a bit concerned that since Beckiwoo has indicated a desire to leave Vancouver, she might be on a recce trip to Halifax.

Vancouver is shit, but Halifax is distinctly shittier.
A bit of both...reece trip and vacation.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Well, there is that...
hey hey...let me find out for myself
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's true everywhere these days and I'm not just talking about Canada.

I'll assume the bolded bit is part of your usual "I don't give a f***" attitude, slightly disguised as sarcasm.
I don't have an opinion either way but I have researched public policy management in the US and for better or worse, its a model that exists there. Equity issues are for those concerned with the ethics of public policy.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an opinion either way but I have researched public policy management in the US and for better or worse, its a model that exists there. Equity issues are for those concerned with the ethics of public policy.
Jolly good. What we all need is more slums then? And you concluded this based on your research into US public policy management?

The Donald, I suppose, has you on speed dial.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In BC anyhow the govt has apparently also made it more difficult to unionize.

I have only been in a couple union's. None of which provided good wages. But my airline was lowest paying of all, so would have been difficult for the union to come in and demand 10/hr when starting pay was 6.04/hr.

And the management made it clear they would outsource if they needed to, so was best not to rock the boat too much and have no job at all.

The only union's with any real power these days are those who have very skilled hard to replace workers or the govt.

In other jobs like retail, easy to replace or outsource to a machine so union's have no real power anymore.

As for having a car, well since the govt doesn't want to provide decent transit and we don't want to be stuck in Chilliwack and we do leave Chilliwack every weekend almost, no other alternative but a car.

Only way to take day trips to the US is by car for example.

I need to be in Vancouver tomorrow for a doctor, and only viable and reliable way there is by car.

There is transit but it requires like 2 buses and a sky train and 3 hours if your time almost and the times are very limited.

That's the nut of the thing. We used to have trade unions with sufficient negotiating power to make sure that wages kept up with inflation for the defenceless minimum wage earners. Now we don't.

That's progress for you.

No doubt certain people will suggest that you get on your bike.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 7th 2016 at 8:47 am.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:41 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In BC anyhow the govt has apparently also made it more difficult to unionize.

I have only been in a couple union's. None of which provided good wages. But my airline was lowest paying of all, so would have been difficult for the union to come in and demand 10/hr when starting pay was 6.04/hr.

And the management made it clear they would outsource if they needed to, so was best not to rock the boat too much and have no job at all.

The only union's with any real power these days are those who have very skilled hard to replace workers or the govt.

In other jobs like retail, easy to replace or outsource to a machine so union's have no real power anymore.
You're describing the process, not the issue.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not wise nor smart enough to know the issue, can just say what I experience and interpret it as. The whole thing is far too complicated for me to understand in full. I just see the end result of it.

You're describing the process, not the issue.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:48 am

Jolly good. What we all need is more slums then? And you concluded this based on your research into US public policy management?

The Donald, I suppose, has you on speed dial.
Its probably regrettable but how do you afford labour, especially in the service/retail sector, when as JSmith has stated, that property prices and rents are far higher than wages can support? Its the same principle with our consumer goods. The reason we can buy cheap clothes, electronic goods etc is because labour and rents are low somewhere else.

One a side note, I choose to buy fishing reels that are made locally by a small company but that's why they're three times the price of Chinese made ones.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:52 am
Born again atheist

Its probably regrettable but how do you afford labour, especially in the service/retail sector, when as JSmith has stated, that property prices and rents are far higher than wages can support? Its the same principle with our consumer goods. The reason we can buy cheap clothes, electronic goods etc is because labour and rents are low somewhere else.
<shakes head>
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:56 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Bingo.

IMHO public sector unions should be banned. Those who work on the public dime in monopolistic and privileged positions should not have the power to hold society for ransom.

Roosevelt and Truman both understood the importance of private sector unions on the one hand, and the danger of public sector unions on the other.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:02 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo.

IMHO public sector unions should be banned. Those who work on the public dime in monopolistic and privileged positions should not have the power to hold society for ransom.

Roosevelt and Truman both understood the importance of private sector unions on the one hand, and the danger of public sector unions on the other.
Eh?

So the governments as a public sector workers only employer should be allowed to dictate whatever terms and conditions they want? How old are you? Shall we have a return to workhouses too?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to say it but many (not all, but many and possibly most) live paycheque to paycheque due to the acquisition of bad habits.

It has been said that personal financial management should be a mandatory subject in every Canadian highschool. It would sure as hell be more useful and possibly life-altering (in a good way) than calculus (although I actually enjoyed calculus).

How many people living in precarious financial circumstances spend $6 every single day on a mochafrappacrappacino? I know what it's like to be low-income. In my mid-20s I was earning a pittance. I lived within my means. It can be done.
Not many of those commenting on this particular thread.

Mock me all you like but what seems to obvious to me - live within one's means - is lost on a great number of people.

Possibly, even probably, but it might be useful to you to "know your audience".

I think ... ETA: never mind, not going there

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 7th 2016 at 9:06 am. Reason: Changed my mind & decided not to respond to "bait".
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Just find common ground, allow union's, just ban striking which is what the US has done.

They still get good pay, benefits, working conditions they just cannot disrupt the govt and services.

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Eh?

So the governments as a public sector workers only employer should be allowed to dictate whatever terms and conditions they want? How old are you? Shall we have a return to workhouses too?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:20 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Just find common ground, allow union's, just ban striking which is what the US has done.

They still get good pay, benefits, working conditions they just cannot disrupt the govt and services.
Well as a nurse who really can't strike or only in a limited fashion (work to rule) losing the ability to strike really takes away any power to make change because after all what can you do. Year after year of no pay increase, poor working conditions is very demoralizing especially when you see the same government awarding itself a big pay rise.

Striking at the public sector and the union that seeks to protect doesn't make the private sector better off it hurt brings everyone down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.