Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Wikiposts

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 10th 2016, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
its all a PR exercise to some degree as companies want to be known as responsible caring corporations as opposed to being hated.
Do they? Costco is generally considered to be "a good employer". Walmart the bottom of the barrel. People, not me, but some people, still buy things at Walmart. Maybe the public doesn't care how nasty the corporation is.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do they? Costco is generally considered to be "a good employer". Walmart the bottom of the barrel. People, not me, but some people, still buy things at Walmart. Maybe the public doesn't care how nasty the corporation is.
No they don't as they are after cheap goods as they have a limited budget so places like Walmart cater to these people. Are Air Canada good employer say compared to Air Transat? People will fly with them as they offer cheap fairs and not necessarily a good company.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 1:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't as they are after cheap goods as they have a limited budget so places like Walmart cater to these people..
They offer comparable goods at comparable prices. It's a political act to shop at one or the other; people who chose to shop at Walmart, when they could as well go to Costco, are explicitly showing that the quality of employers doesn't matter to them. And, fair enough, people are shit, they don't care about others.

Are Air Canada good employer say compared to Air Transat? People will fly with them as they offer cheap fairs and not necessarily a good company.
Surely, given the choice, people chose any airline other than Air Canada. It's a nightmare to be on AC, an airline staffed by grumpy old women, it's like being in some government office for hours on end. The comparison with shopping is weak because what's offered is not the same between airlines but what's offered at Costco and Walmart is the same thing at the same price.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

There are also less Costco stores and they ignore smaller city's so they are not as accessible as Wal-Mart, and they charge an annual fee which for those on a budget that is money wasted just to get into the store.

Most of Costco food and household items are in bulk and higher priced so $75 lets say doesn't get you as much.

Bulk buying just isn't in the cards for those on a very limited budget.

They offer comparable goods at comparable prices. It's a political act to shop at one or the other; people who chose to shop at Walmart, when they could as well go to Costco, are explicitly showing that the quality of employers doesn't matter to them. And, fair enough, people are shit, they don't care about others.

Surely, given the choice, people chose any airline other than Air Canada. It's a nightmare to be on AC, an airline staffed by grumpy old women, it's like being in some government office for hours on end. The comparison with shopping is weak because what's offered is not the same between airlines but what's offered at Costco and Walmart is the same thing at the same price.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by not2old
its all a lie, I don't believe it, for the reason no matter how low a wage folks earn, they will always live beyond their means.

Surely there must be something, no matter how small, that a person can save or do without to create a slush fund over time for 'emergencies'
I'm not sure I agree with either the first or the second sentence.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:46 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Most of Costco food and household items are in bulk and higher priced so $75 lets say doesn't get you as much.

Bulk buying just isn't in the cards for those on a very limited budget.
You will be surprised at how much cheaper things work out in Cost-co with the bulk buying compared to Safeway, Whole Foods etc

I am still on laundry detergent I brought 6 months ago for $15 from there

Superstore isn't too bad but there are still things I prefer in Cost-co and the quality is good. Then again I am prepared to spend a little more on good quality food and forfeit going out for drinks, food etc
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:48 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't as they are after cheap goods as they have a limited budget so places like Walmart cater to these people. Are Air Canada good employer say compared to Air Transat? People will fly with them as they offer cheap fairs and not necessarily a good company.
Yeah that is me, I want the best value I can get although I dont bother with Walmart as it is too far away from me.

I do refuse to shop in Ardene though...their stuff is just too cheap and tacky!
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:08 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Clearly you have never flown on any US-based airline in existence.

Last edited by viajero; Sep 10th 2016 at 11:12 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, given the choice, people chose any airline other than Air Canada. It's a nightmare to be on AC, an airline staffed by grumpy old women, it's like being in some government office for hours on end.
Didn't have any problem with them, they went into my basket of 'perfectly reasonable to fly, check price first'. Unlike Ryanair ('only ever again if they're the only plane leaving the warzone'), BA ('take your own entertainment, try not to warn stewardesses the 1960s happened'), or Allegiant ('don't completely rule out, but update will first').
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by viajero
Clearly you have never flown on any US-based airline in existence.
At least four legs a week for ten years using whichever airline was cheapest on the day. About 70% of destinations being in the US.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Didn't have any problem with them, they went into my basket of 'perfectly reasonable to fly, check price first'. Unlike Ryanair ('only ever again if they're the only plane leaving the warzone'), BA ('take your own entertainment, try not to warn stewardesses the 1960s happened'), or Allegiant ('don't completely rule out, but update will first').

I didn't care for Sabena. Such A Bad Experience, Never Again. I thought it rather clever to have an acronym in a foreign language.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't care for Sabena. Such A Bad Experience, Never Again. I thought it rather clever to have an acronym in a foreign language.
Its better than Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:41 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

At least four legs a week for ten years using whichever airline was cheapest on the day. About 70% of destinations being in the US.
Then you'd know that going from American Airlines, Delta, or any of the mainstream US airlines to Air Canada is like going from No Frills to Pusateri's, and for about the same cost. AC a tad more expensive, as Canadian airlines always are, but there are frequent offers that negate the US companies' price-based competition.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 1:38 am
Bex in the city

Never again would I fly United Airlines. Alligant did what it was supposed to - get me to Vegas!

Air New Zealand is another one to be wary of - entertainment system packed up on a full flight - before the days of ipads and watching movies on laptops
Old Sep 11th 2016, 2:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...what's offered at Costco and Walmart is the same thing at the same price.
Is it?
I rarely shop for groceries at Walmart because I find Sobeys and Superstore are both cheaper in the main. With so many people saying Costco is cheaper again, that would likely make Walmart the most expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.