Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Wikiposts

Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay check to pay check living, about half of Canadians do.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I apply for seasonal jobs just cannot manage to ever get even an interview.

You need to work out why you're not getting interviews, & circumvent (or something) that.

Temp agencies never call either and not sure the govt around here uses them much, the agencies don't advertise such anyhow.
You need to work out whether temp agencies (I didn't go through one for the gov job I mentioned) are actually involved in recruiting. If they are, & you're registered with them, work out *why* they aren't calling you.

I don't want one for job satisfaction, fact is any job I get I will not enjoy but better to get a higher rate vs a job that is low wage and you hate.

There are jobs out there I wpuld enjoy, they just require education I do not have and will nevr have, so govt jobs seem to be the next best thing.

I think we've had a conversation about this before .

But seems everyone wants some sort of college these days, so I seem largely unemployable in Canada since I posses no skills of any sort and lack the college education.
See above, JS. You *do* have skills. You might have to sell yourself harder without a college education. I've said it over & over again: I don't have a college/uni education either.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:43 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My parents lived hand to mouth. Mum walked several miles carrying heavy shopping bags in order to save a few pennies in bus fare. At the beginning of the week her purse was empty...dad was paid Thursday. We were brought up to never buy anything we couldn't afford to pay cash for.

When we were first married I suppose we lived from hand to mouth for a while. We paid for our own wedding...7 guests and no honeymoon. I remember returning a £12.99 bikini to M&S towards the end of the month because I needed the money. I can honestly say I have never paid a penny interest on credit cards.

Now we live comfortably...but old habits die hard. I never buy a coffee when I'm out shopping or walking...because I can have one at home costing much less. Same goes for buying a bottle of water...why pay $1+ when I can buy 36 for $3.99 at Costco.
Could have written this myself.. except for the bikini of course.

Like many who were brought up in a post war UK still being rationed, where parents saved all year to pay for the two week break at some B&B or in a a caravan somewhere, where many days were spend on wet days tramping the streets and dinner was taken in a cafe somewhere with queues at the door.

These values of thrift become stamped into the brain to the extent that when I went to university, a group of 6 lads could feed themselves for an entire week for one pound each, and we ate a limited diet but lots of it. Food consisted of potatoes, beans, peas, mince and sausages. The latter two being bought cheap at a local market as the butchers were closing late on a friday or saturday night. Beer at the time was about 3/- a pint, so a week's meals might equate to about 15 bucks at today's prices, depending where you drink.

Like you we have never paid interest on a credit card, only buy on cash or 0% credit making sure to pay off before the interest rate changed, never buy takeout coffee, and we still visit thrift stores.

Like you we had no honeymoon, married on Saturday in a register office, back at work on Monday, living at the time in two rooms and sharing everything else with another family.

Like you, we now live comfortably, bacause of those values drummed into us as youngsters.

I doubt that teaching in schools will have much impact, you have to live the life to appreciate the lessons. Those canadian families feeling the pinch will already know what I'm talking about. I suppose it might have been easier when I was small as everyone was in the same boat, I didn't have much but then noone else did either.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what skills I have then...lol

I get interviews at hotels, but nowhere else.

The only reasons I can think of from lack of interviews is the employment gaps, lack of formal education, and no experience outside of hotels and airlines except some retail long ago.

Still trying to figure out what exactly keeps me from getting interviews. Would help if companies could freely tell you why, but they don't so it's mostly mystery to me. But if I had to guess, I would say employment gaps are the biggest reason, but not much can be done there until I find the right job that works well with my personality and issues that will lead to long term emollient again.

Employers are not very understanding of mental health issues in my experience.

What I meant by jobs I would enjoy, I meant working with fish in a public aquarium or zoo, I would love doing that but it requires a college degree, the jobs I really have strong interest in all require degrees, cannot think of any job aside from loading planes again, I would actually enjoy doing that requires no formal training.

I have mostly run out of ideas, which doesn't help.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
See above, JS. You *do* have skills. You might have to sell yourself harder without a college education. I've said it over & over again: I don't have a college/uni education either.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 8th 2016 at 5:30 am.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember returning a £12.99 bikini to M&S towards the end of the month because I needed the money
Originally Posted by dave_j
Could have written this myself.. except for the bikini of course...
So you kept yours then?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 5:00 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you kept yours then?
Could do with it now...
Old Sep 8th 2016, 5:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
Mock me all you like but what seems to obvious to me - live within one's means - is lost on a great number of people.
Living within one's means can mean living paycheck to paycheck. As a single mom raising two children that was my situation for nearly 15 years. Didn't buy Starbucks coffees or had high credit card debt. It was nearly impossible to save money regardless. I have family who have to live this way today and they are not extravagant. So get off the high horse before you fall. It is a long way down.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:04 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't know what skills I have then...lol

I get interviews at hotels, but nowhere else.

The only reasons I can think of from lack of interviews is the employment gaps, lack of formal education, and no experience outside of hotels and airlines except some retail long ago.

Still trying to figure out what exactly keeps me from getting interviews. Would help if companies could freely tell you why, but they don't so it's mostly mystery to me. But if I had to guess, I would say employment gaps are the biggest reason, but not much can be done there until I find the right job that works well with my personality and issues that will lead to long term emollient again.

Employers are not very understanding of mental health issues in my experience.

What I meant by jobs I would enjoy, I meant working with fish in a public aquarium or zoo, I would love doing that but it requires a college degree, the jobs I really have strong interest in all require degrees, cannot think of any job aside from loading planes again, I would actually enjoy doing that requires no formal training.

I have mostly run out of ideas, which doesn't help.
Have you had someone look at your resume? I'm wondering if maybe your resume needs some work... no idea, just a suggestion!
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:05 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The skills like darning socks and turning frayed shirt collars around and sewing them back on won't mean anything to today's kids. Our tea towels all said Alberta Sugar on them. :-)
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
They teach this at high school in Calgary. You have to complete the module to get you school diploma, It's called career and life management and is worth 3 credits.
It's the easiest of classes to pass, you only have to show up for the lesson!
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:25 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Now we live comfortably...but old habits die hard. I never buy a coffee when I'm out shopping or walking...because I can have one at home costing much less. Same goes for buying a bottle of water...why pay $1+ when I can buy 36 for $3.99 at Costco.
Why buy bottled water at all? It's very wasteful and tap water is perfectly fine (and I find it usually tastes better than bottled water). I've drank (drunk?) tap water in dozens of countries and I haven't grown a second nose yet.

A compromise would be a water cooler or at least buy large, 4L bottles of water and keep refilling a reusable thermos as opposed to small, single-use servings.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why buy bottled water at all? It's very wasteful and tap water is perfectly fine (and I find it usually tastes better than bottled water). I've drank (drunk?) tap water in dozens of countries and I haven't grown a second nose yet.

A compromise would be a water cooler or at least buy large, 4L bottles of water and keep refilling a reusable thermos as opposed to small, single-use servings.
Tap water where we lived in NJ was horrid...very heavily chlorinated. When the bath was full the water was blue. I use filtered water to refil the bottles...not only am I from Yorkshire...I also have Scottish blood running through my veins.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Since this is the first of your posts since you joined the forum with which I agree I thought it only fair to record the event.

Water in plastic bottles is a major blight on the ecosystem. A pointless waste of energy and of non renewable resources. (Not the water itself, but the oil based plastic and the energy costs of distribution).

Just say no.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:58 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Our water is undrinkable, it is so full of sulphur. We have an expensive system to filter our water and a reverse osmosis thingy, I personally cannot stand to drink reverse osmosis water, all the taste is gone. Hoped that the water would be good enough for boiling and cooking with but it's awful. We buy jugs of spring water for drinking. OH brings home a milk jug full of tap water from work for cooking with, I drink tap water from work and refill my bottle before I come home. That's why we buy bottled water.

I will never buy a house with a well, unless I know the water is drinkable again.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:04 am
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Tap water where we lived in NJ was horrid...very heavily chlorinated. When the bath was full the water was blue. I use filtered water to refil the bottles...not only am I from Yorkshire...I also have Scottish blood running through my veins.
Blue water sounds pretty extreme. I'm sure it was still perfectly safe to drink but I can understand the reservations.

I don't quite get the Scotland/filtered water reference...?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Same goes for buying a bottle of water...why pay $1+ when I can buy 36 for $3.99 at Costco.
I use filtered water to refil the bottles...not only am I from Yorkshire...I also have Scottish blood running through my veins.
Then why buy 36 bottles from Costco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.