Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Jan 11th 2019, 2:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Looking to be a sunny weekend, 4 days of sun expected according to Environment Canada. Woo hoo.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Frightening drive this morning. The snow was intense but I could see a tree so I thought “just keep the tree to the right and you’re good”. I set off slowly and felt on wheel sliding off the driveway. I realised that I was looking at a different tree than I had thought, it should be on my left. Fortunately I was only a little off the drive and was able to get back on and out to the street.

It was equally snowy on the main road. Usually in heavy winter I look out the side of the car and place it according to the verge or poles or whatever. Today I couldn’t see far enough sideways to do that. Twice I had to stop and get out to figure out which side of the road I was on and if I was still facing forward; none of this by seeing, all by ground texture. The idea that there are Canadians on this road, in greige shit boxes with no rear lights, is terrifying; sooner or later I’ll hit the back of one.

Now, of course, I’m in the office in wet clothes. Only another six months of it.

(No idea why the font changed, this site has been shit since the last format downgrade)
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Frightening drive this morning. The snow was intense but I could see a tree so I thought “just keep the tree to the right and you’re good”. I set off slowly and felt on wheel sliding off the driveway. I realised that I was looking at a different tree than I had thought, it should be on my left. Fortunately I was only a little off the drive and was able to get back on and out to the street.

It was equally snowy on the main road. Usually in heavy winter I look out the side of the car and place it according to the verge or poles or whatever. Today I couldn’t see far enough sideways to do that. Twice I had to stop and get out to figure out which side of the road I was on and if I was still facing forward; none of this by seeing, all by ground texture. The idea that there are Canadians on this road, in greige shit boxes with no rear lights, is terrifying; sooner or later I’ll hit the back of one.

Now, of course, I’m in the office in wet clothes. Only another six months of it.

(No idea why the font changed, this site has been shit since the last format downgrade)
I read posts like yours and realise that getting branded by a burning hot steering wheel is only a minor problem. Take care (and take a change of clothes with you to the office man!)
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I read posts like yours and realise that getting branded by a burning hot steering wheel is only a minor problem. Take care (and take a change of clothes with you to the office man!)
The sensible thing would be to travel in clothes for being outside; boots, hats, etc. and to change on arrival. Some people do that but I can't be bothered, that's a ridiculous production to go and be a clerk.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The sensible thing would be to travel in clothes for being outside; boots, hats, etc. and to change on arrival. Some people do that but I can't be bothered, that's a ridiculous production to go and be a clerk.
The sensible thing would be to work from home!
Old Jan 16th 2019, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my stay at home mum friends actually do the school run in their pj’s even in winter I couldn’t even bring myself to do that in the summer! The CAA man does not need to see that.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you made it into the office.. though personally I would have taken a snow day ... or just worked from home. No job is worth risking your life for (unles you're a blue line worker I suppose).

They are forecasting some major snow storms and ridiculously low temperatures for later this week/over the weekend... best stock up on the good stuff!
Old Jan 16th 2019, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No job is worth risking your life for (unles you're a blue line worker
Or a contractor.

We work, of course, in a positive reinforcement workspace so I had to rephrase "get out to figure out which side of the road I was on and if I was still facing forward" as "frolicked in the snow so as to embrace the season" and "wet clothes" as "garments suffused by seasonal elements". "It's so lovely to see the snow" a straight faced person said "it can't be cold when there's snow".
Old Jan 19th 2019, 9:02 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's Spring here today.
10c
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It's Spring here today.
10c

Lots of snow so far today but the main part of the storm is due to hit this evening and overnight.

Stay safe out there!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 19th 2019 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Lots of snow so far today but the main part of the storm is due to hit this evening and overnight.

Stay safe out there!
Snowmageddon (with extended freezing rain too) due for us Sunday/Monday. Could be 40cm by the time it's done.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

It's cold here. The car says -20 but there's a strong wind so there's no charm in being outside.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Day 3 of extreme cold warning, current windchill -36. Crispy nasal hair time.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have given up on having a winter this year, been so mild. Was around +9 today.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Snowmageddon (with extended freezing rain too) due for us Sunday/Monday. Could be 40cm by the time it's done.

We'd had that by 8pm.. and the bulk of the storm hasn't hit yet.
Additional snowfall accumulations of 10 to 20 cm are expected.

In addition, strong winds gusting to 60 km/h will generate widespread blowing snow and cold wind chill values in the minus twenties. Near zero visibility is likely at times.

Although the storm system responsible is tracking well to the south of the Great Lakes, northeast winds off Lake Ontario are picking up extra moisture resulting in higher snowfall totals. Total snowfall amounts are likely to vary considerably across the region. As of 8 pm, 41 cm was measured in Ancaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.