Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Yesterday I had occasion to drive in the country. Never in my 34 years of driving in this part of the GTA (Durham Region, just east of Toronto) have I seen fields so devoid of snow, just bare and brown and rather ugly. It has been a few weeks of unusual weather here with quite mild temperatures and minimal snowfall. I’m sure some segments of our society are not pleased but it pleases me no end. Substantial snowfall cause great disruptions to people’s lives, helps cause serious road accidents and helps cause people to fall, often injuring themselves. Long may it continue, but I doubt it will. One morning, probably soon, we’ll wake up to find we’ve been slam-dunked with a mother of a dump, big enough to call in the army.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The kindness of strangers

Our Mr Plow came around to do his work early yesterday afternoon and cleared the driveway ridge left by the city plow, as well as pushing the snow up the driveway and out of the way. Lovely clear drive.

Of course the city plow came back later. Stepson made a gap for access but when I got up this morning I saw the city plow had done one of its needless passes in the night and filled in most of the gap.

Not a big ridge but if it freezes it could be problematic so I had to tackle it later, even if it was only to reduce the size.

Later comes and I make ready to don my jacket but hear a strange noise and see an orange thing through the glass panel of the door. It's a snow blower/tractor thing and it scoops/pushes/lifts the ridge off to the side and he's quickly on his way before I can react.

A good samaritan?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The kindness of strangers

Our Mr Plow came around to do his work early yesterday afternoon and cleared the driveway ridge left by the city plow, as well as pushing the snow up the driveway and out of the way. Lovely clear drive.

Of course the city plow came back later. Stepson made a gap for access but when I got up this morning I saw the city plow had done one of its needless passes in the night and filled in most of the gap.

Not a big ridge but if it freezes it could be problematic so I had to tackle it later, even if it was only to reduce the size.

Later comes and I make ready to don my jacket but hear a strange noise and see an orange thing through the glass panel of the door. It's a snow blower/tractor thing and it scoops/pushes/lifts the ridge off to the side and he's quickly on his way before I can react.

A good samaritan?
The wall of ice the city plows leave at the bottom of the drive is an absolute pig to dig out. That is one of the reasons I used to have a huge SUV which I could drive right over it.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Kids had their first indoor recess of the year yesterday- so windy it decapitated my snowman (one made of metal not actual snow) nothing a few cable ties couldn’t fix though!
Now we start wishing we had a nice warm holiday booked somewhere.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite slippery here. One should drive with caution.

Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

TWN not only has the snow line missing from the bottom of its chart, it's showing hours of sunshine instead.

Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
TWN not only has the snow line missing from the bottom of its chart, it's showing hours of sunshine instead.

Snow line???? You're not in the Alps.

Isn't moncton basically at sea level
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Quite slippery here. One should drive with caution.

Is that your car in the ditch?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is that your car in the ditch?
It is!
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Snow line???? You're not in the Alps.

Isn't moncton basically at sea level
The last line is expected snowfall. The line has sometimes disappeared during the winter - probably a mistake - but I've never seen hours of sunshine replacing it.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is!
Yikes...anything left of the car or is it a right off

The road conditions look like snow tyres wouldn't help you much
Old Jan 10th 2019, 10:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

What's the puddle of brown liquid under the drivers side door? Is that from the car or the ditch?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
What's the puddle of brown liquid under the drivers side door? Is that from the car or the ditch?
Maybe dbd's 24 split open upon impact.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 11:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Snow tyres really don't help after freezing rain, once the surface is too slick to be able to stand up anything will slide. The two truck slid all over the place but eventually the car was extricated. Not a write off, no, I've carried on commuting in it. There was a slightly wobble but pressure washing the front wheels and balancing them fixed that.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 11:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Danny B
Ditch. Now, if that got into the interior that would be a problem for the car; much stinkage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.