Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Jan 20th 2019, 9:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Our storm is just starting. The weather man just said ” Fredericton is at the eye of the storm with 40 to 60 cms expected”. I’d say it sounds like a hide under the duvet day...but then I’ll never get it cleared
Old Jan 20th 2019, 11:20 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

A fresh mantle of snow covers everything in the pre-dawn stillness; beautiful. -20, but going back up to -7 tomorrow.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

-16 feels like -28. I hate bloody winter. I hate snow. I hate ice. I hate sub zero temps.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
We'd had that by 8pm.. and the bulk of the storm hasn't hit yet.
You can keep it

I am still hopeful that this winter came early and will finish early rather than just be longer. I read yesterday that November's snow was 4 times what we normally get. As well as early significant snow, the cold weather came earlier and we also had the sort of thaw a month ago that we normally get in January.

So we're really approaching the end of February.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just blown the driveway. The wind is from the north. The driveway faces north. Accordingly, the snow content of the driveway is now frozen into my eyebrows.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:57 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

So we're really approaching the end of February.
I like the way you think Bristol By your reckoning this rubbish only has another six or eight weeks to go

It's well up and over my boots and much deeper than the top of my dog...who could easily leg it over the back fence if he put his mind to it...luckily he seems to prefer gazing into the woodstove...like his mistress
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Frightening drive this morning. The snow was intense but I could see a tree so I thought “just keep the tree to the right and you’re good”. I set off slowly and felt on wheel sliding off the driveway. I realised that I was looking at a different tree than I had thought, it should be on my left. Fortunately I was only a little off the drive and was able to get back on and out to the street.

It was equally snowy on the main road. Usually in heavy winter I look out the side of the car and place it according to the verge or poles or whatever. Today I couldn’t see far enough sideways to do that. Twice I had to stop and get out to figure out which side of the road I was on and if I was still facing forward; none of this by seeing, all by ground texture. The idea that there are Canadians on this road, in greige shit boxes with no rear lights, is terrifying; sooner or later I’ll hit the back of one.

Now, of course, I’m in the office in wet clothes. Only another six months of it.

(No idea why the font changed, this site has been shit since the last format downgrade)
Six months from date you wrote will be July 16th. I very much doubt there will be any snow around at that time, even where you live/travel. Another of your exaggerations. I think you’re on a mission to deter any more Brits from immigrating here.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 10:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The roads last night in Downtown Toronto where abysmal and many aren’t much better this afternoon.

The council need to get the people who are responsible down to NJ...they know how to clear roads and fast. They should also take lessons from NJ on road works. On busy roads the construction is halted for rush hour traffic...morning and afternoon. Construction crews work through the night if need be to get the road back to normal ASAP. One Thursday afternoon a fuel tanker overturned on the interstate. The fire was so intense it badly damaged the overpass. The overpass was taken down and rebuilt...the interstate was open for Monday morning rush hour. From what seen...it would take months to get that done here.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 10:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

Six months from date you wrote will be July 16th. I very much doubt there will be any snow around at that time, even where you live/travel. Another of your exaggerations. I think you’re on a mission to deter any more Brits from immigrating here.

I was actually looking to establish a bit of joke by making continuing references to the number of months left and steadily increasing it. Still, if it does someone a favour I'm glad of that.

Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The roads last night in Downtown Toronto where abysmal and many aren’t much better this afternoon.

The council need to get the people who are responsible down to NJ...they know how to clear roads and fast. They should also take lessons from NJ on road works. On busy roads the construction is halted for rush hour traffic...morning and afternoon. Construction crews work through the night if need be to get the road back to normal ASAP. One Thursday afternoon a fuel tanker overturned on the interstate. The fire was so intense it badly damaged the overpass. The overpass was taken down and rebuilt...the interstate was open for Monday morning rush hour. From what seen...it would take months to get that done here.
Where I lived in California unless necessary to do during the day, roadwork was done overnight and then stopped before morning rush hour. Always find it odd to this day when Vancouver will created congestion to do roadwork that could easily be done at night when there is less cars on the road.

So they would do the work something like 9pm to 5am as an example.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 21st 2019 at 12:05 am.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://instantweather.ca/2019/01/21...oy/image.1.png

Wind chill near -40c forecast for tomorrow morning! Yikes!
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely freezing rain icicles on the deck rails this morning. No fancy hairdos on the post knobs though.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

-25 on the car thermometer this morning, school buses cancelled, dog too cold to crap. The usual chaos.

Only another eleven months of it.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 1:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday, an unforecast 12cm so snowclearing required but the authorities were caught on the hop & roads weren't plowed at all making for an interesting drive to take #2 daughter to her dance class. Sunday, bright, sunny, -8C with a stiff breeze so windchill -15C. Today, rain, currently +5 going to a high of +12C, I'm wearing a spring waterproof jacket and it all feels rather balmy. 48hrs out I dare say it'll all be freezing again & ice ice baby. Gotta love living on an island on the fringes of the North Atlantic.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's a brisk -31 in Regina, -44 with the windchill, and the remote-start keyfob for my van has fallen off the keychain somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.