Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Feb 28th 2019, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

Originally Posted by dbd33
-33 this morning. And this is the driveway.
I know what it's like to be sat on a tractor in those temperatures. Is the snowblower able to cope with that with one pass?
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I know what it's like to be sat on a tractor in those temperatures. Is the snowblower able to cope with that with one pass?
No, and I broke a shear bolt trying. The bolt is, of course, in a spot one cannot reach while wearing gloves.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 3:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch (albeit pretty!)
The sky is finally blue here and the sun shining but the snow seems to have crystallised.. it's weird stuff, granular snow sparkling in the sunshine... it's warmed up to -9c - woohoo!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Considering we have similar properties and not that far apart - you have a lot more snow than we do. Most of the stuff from Sunday and Monday blew somewhere but didn't really impact the drive and yesterday's contribution could be dealt with with some carefully applied acceleration. I like your garage doors!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:57 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HGerchikov;12645853. I like your garage doors![/QUOTE]

Me too, very nice garage doors Seeing the photo of your drive makes me feel better...we have worse snow, more of it, but I think we always do, but I hadn’t realized that yours gets as deep as that. It’s 1st March...we are edging that bit nearer to the finish line not long now...I wish the bloody wind would stop though...it ‘felt like’ -26 yesterday...and it felt every bit of it!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the compliments on the doors, they were pretty easy to make.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

The snowdrifts are due to the ferocious winds more than the volume of snow. The gap below the doors is only enough to allow easy sliding but, still, this much snow got in:
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:56 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

After seeing this, I'm never complaining about my driveway again. How many hours a week do you think you spend on clearing snow?

Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Danny B
After seeing this, I'm never complaining about my driveway again. How many hours a week do you think you spend on clearing snow?
It's inconsistent. Clearing it properly takes an hour, clearing it enough to get out and go to work takes 20 minutes (both without dressing and undressing time and assuming the tractor starts easily). In a bad week there will be three snow days, a snow day means a 20 minute clearance in the morning and a 1 hour one at night. The at night clearance entails a lot of clothing changes; arrive, park on street, wade to door, dress for tractor, blow, trudge to house, dress for car, trudge, bring it in and park. The time involved is very little compared to mowing the lawn but it's not time with any fun in it.

This is nothing, btw, compared to where I used to live. That was a snowy spot with a long steep driveway so chains were required. Installing tractor chains is a bugger of a job.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Is that an MGA or a Healey ?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tangram
Is that an MGA or a Healey ?
Healey. 1958 100-6. A summer car, obviously. This time of year I take the Mustang.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The snowdrifts are due to the ferocious winds more than the volume of snow. The gap below the doors is only enough to allow easy sliding but, still, this much snow got in:
We had the same problem in the duck shed

Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We had the same problem in the duck shed

Ah yes, the chicken coop (the metal building to the left of the driveway) suffered a similar fate. I don't have a picture but will ask later if the chickens are open to me taking one.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:29 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Oh poor ducks...are they Indian Runners? Love the little red car too...very lovely. Did you build the garage? I think I have it’s twin...many horrible nights spent putting it together after the concrete pad was laid. I lost count of quite how many nuts and bolts one could drop.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh poor ducks...are they Indian Runners? Love the little red car too...very lovely. Did you build the garage? I think I have it’s twin...many horrible nights spent putting it together after the concrete pad was laid. I lost count of quite how many nuts and bolts one could drop.
We did build it, though we call it "the barn" as there's another structure for the ordinary cars. As you say, a lot of nuts and bolts were involved. I say "we" but we had a contractor lay the foundation and the driveway and, towards the end of the metal part we had some child labourers help with the bolts. How did you lift the first hoop into place?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.