Masks

Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by caretaker
That's what they were doing, but the point they were trying to make was just people have stupid excuses why they don't want a mask, and they got the footage they needed. They could have tried handing them out in a store line-up, but the beach makes for better video.
Yes I know that's what they did. It was the post I responded to that appeared to miss the point of the video
Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am massively surprised about the level of discussion here. I always wear a mask in any public building or publicly enclosed space, and would do so without hesitation even if the government would relax the rule. Wearing masks is not very pleasant, but the easiest thing to do, besides washing hands. ...
Agreed - I started wearing a mask as soon as TSHTF back in March, even though at that time both the WHO and the US government said that mask wearing was unnecessary, unhelpful, or may even be harmful/ risky. ..... A very quick dig into the reasons for this advice was that (some) people wearing masks are forever touching their face to adjust and/or put on and take off their mask - which is an easy problem to solve. So I make a concious effort to not touch my mask after I first put it on, and it stays on, and AFAP untouched, from when I put it on until I am back in the car and ready to go home - in other words, if I am going to two or three places my mask stays on while I drive between them.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer to stay in and not go anywhere, but life doesn't stop unfortunately and its pretty much impossible to stay in since the only way to make income is to go out, so we go out about everyday into the mess that is the grocery store, where nobody distances, and few wear masks, but its the only way to make some money at the moment, so no real choice, but I'd prefer to work from home...ha ha

I noticed on our drive very few overall seem to wear masks, especially once outside of Vancouver.

Hardest part for me and masks is I find I do touch my face more, but I am working on making an effort, I also need to not feel weird when I am the only one with a mask on, I always feel weird when nobody else has one on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 16th 2020 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd prefer to stay in and not go anywhere, but life doesn't stop unfortunately and its pretty much impossible to stay in since the only way to make income is to go out, so we go out about everyday into the mess that is the grocery store...but I'd prefer to work from home..
Here's an idea...when you have the order someone made on Instacart, instead of going to the supermarket, make your own order of those things with instacart and when the stuff gets delivered to you, you can then deliver it to the original customer.
That would save going to the supermarket at least. For some reason I'm feeling silly today.

Hardest part for me and masks is I find I do touch my face more, but I am working on making an effort, I also need to not feel weird when I am the only one with a mask on, I always feel weird when nobody else has one on.
I touch my face too much - mostly the nose. It's not a habit I can break like flipping a switch. The advice not to touch your face clearly means that out and about you might transfer something to it. I figure a barrier there will help when I inevitably go to touch my face.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Here's an idea...when you have the order someone made on Instacart, instead of going to the supermarket, make your own order of those things with instacart and when the stuff gets delivered to you, you can then deliver it to the original customer.
That would save going to the supermarket at least. For some reason I'm feeling silly today.

I touch my face too much - mostly the nose. It's not a habit I can break like flipping a switch. The advice not to touch your face clearly means that out and about you might transfer something to it. I figure a barrier there will help when I inevitably go to touch my face.
Doesn't help that when wearing a mask, the moisture starts to make the skin covered by the mask itch, I carry a little box of tooth picks now, figure its slightly safer to use a tooth pick to deal with an itch but sometimes itch and before I can stop myself, my hand is on my face...lol

Your just a silly fella
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed - I started wearing a mask as soon as TSHTF back in March, even though at that time both the WHO and the US government said that mask wearing was unnecessary, unhelpful, or may even be harmful/ risky. ..... A very quick dig into the reasons for this advice was that (some) people wearing masks are forever touching their face to adjust and/or put on and take off their mask - which is an easy problem to solve. So I make a concious effort to not touch my mask after I first put it on, and it stays on, and AFAP untouched, from when I put it on until I am back in the car and ready to go home - in other words, if I am going to two or three places my mask stays on while I drive between them.
I often doubted Canada's approach to handling the Corona crisis. They always keep saying "based on scientific evidence" however that's often a lie. It's often a farce to brush responsibility off...

And regarding wearing masks, theoretically you should disinfect your hands prior to putting masks on and before removing the mask. This will insure, that you're not touching anything near your face with possible viruses on your hands.

However few people are doing this. It's probably a bit too much to ask, but the sensitive thing to do.

I think that compulsory masks anywhere indoors in public places, would bring the problem in the US better under control, probably within weeks. However they have Trump........who has an election to win, or rather to lose....

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 16th 2020 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of masks.. what type do you think is better or more comfortable to wear? Disposable? Cotton washable? Neoprene? Poly/Cotton? Other? Ones with a filter / without a filter? With ear loops or around the head straps or an all in one ( a bit like a balaclava ) ?

I have been struggling to find one that will work for me (hence why I haven't been in a store since February) - I wear hearing aids, and glasses.. and my ears do not lay flat (so elastic straps tend to 'ping' off them!) ...... any advice or thoughts?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2020 at 4:22 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
On the subject of masks.. what type do you think is better or more comfortable to wear? Disposable? Cotton washable? Neoprene? Poly/Cotton? Other? Ones with a filter / without a filter? With ear loops or around the head straps or an all in one ( a bit like a balaclava ) ?

I have been struggling to find one that will work for me (hence why I haven't been in a store since February) - I wear hearing aids, and glasses.. and my ears do not lay flat (so elastic straps tend to 'ping' off them!) ...... any advice or thoughts?
If you ask me, the one I've posted before: ( And, unfortunately it's not a matter of "comfort" )

https://i3biomedical.com/wp-content/...020pouchML.pdf

And not only because it's Canadian, it's the best on the market

Pls look for the "advantages" besides the "key features" on the PDF.

Also, look here:

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/07/15/...2-coronavirus/

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 16th 2020 at 4:29 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Mine is a hybrid, home-brew mask - a disposable paper filter "https://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clark-Professional-Scott-Shop-Towel/dp/B00S0LBOQA (because that is what I had a supply of back in March) lined with a "https://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clark-Professional-Scott-Shop-Towel/dp/B00S0LBOQA" folded twice (four layers), because shop towels are reported to be particularly good filters, and then after hooking the elastic behind my head I use a neck gaiter to clamp the maks to my face and hold it tightly and firmly in place, leaving, I believe, no room for air to get into the mask without going through at least two layers of filtering material, and mostly four layers.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I often doubted Canada's approach to handling the Corona crisis. They always keep saying "based on scientific evidence" however that's often a lie. It's often a farce to brush responsibility off...

And regarding wearing masks, theoretically you should disinfect your hands prior to putting masks on and before removing the mask. This will insure, that you're not touching anything near your face with possible viruses on your hands.

However few people are doing this. It's probably a bit too much to ask, but the sensitive thing to do.

I think that compulsory masks anywhere indoors in public places, would bring the problem in the US better under control, probably within weeks. However they have Trump........who has an election to win, or rather to lose....
Yes this is the most interesting info on mask wearing that 90% don't get or practice and for the most part its totally impractical. Can you imagine putting one on before going into the airport terminal and not touching it or your face until you land and are outside arrivals? Of course not you have to remove it at the very least for screening and passport control and then everytime you snack or drink you would have to remove it. Now if you have hand sanitizer and you literally sanitize every time you touch it fair play but i bet my life savings that the vast majority do not. Short trips to grocery stores and the like aren't an issue but for long periods it's a problem.
I am also sceptical that compulsory mask use would indeed bring it under control but who knows.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:33 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask me, the one I've posted before: ( And, unfortunately it's not a matter of "comfort" )

https://i3biomedical.com/wp-content/...020pouchML.pdf

And not only because it's Canadian, it's the best on the market

Pls look for the "advantages" besides the "key features" on the PDF.

Also, look here:

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/07/15/...2-coronavirus/
Thanks - yes, I posted links to purchasing the ones you mentioned before.. but I don't really want to use disposable masks. but more importantly my ears do not lay flat so elastic 'pings' off them - and I wear hearing aids and glasses which makes wearing anything that requires elastic that goes around the ears impossible to wear... but I could use a 'strap extender' if necessary

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2020 at 1:57 am.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:52 am
Account Closed

I have tried disposable, cotton, and polyester masks, and I find the cotton most comfortable, its a mask someone made for me, ties around the back of the head and not over the ears which drives me crazy.

If you ever watched a MASH episode that style mask. The cotton doesn't trap as much heat and moisture compared to the polyester material so more comfortable overall. Disposables add up in price too quickly, they average around $1 per mask in the packages I have seen in local stores.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 17th 2020 at 1:55 am.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have tried disposable, cotton, and polyester masks, and I find the cotton most comfortable, its a mask someone made for me, ties around the back of the head and not over the ears which drives me crazy.

If you ever watched a MASH episode that style mask. The cotton doesn't trap as much heat and moisture compared to the polyester material so more comfortable overall. Disposables add up in price too quickly, they average around $1 per mask in the packages I have seen in local stores.
Got a pack of kn95 from Dollarstore and some surgical type ones as you say around $1 each and neither are particularly comfortable they both make me sweat when wearing them. Having haircut was ok but working in someones house last week and they had a immuno compromised son so we thought it appropriate and even though they had A/C on it was uncomfortable working with that and ear defenders because of our work. I put my glasses on so i could see some screw heads clearly and fogged up within seconds!!
Old Jul 17th 2020, 12:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i have discovered that if the fate of humanity depends on my not touching my face , we are all screwed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.