Masks

Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Saskatchewan Union of Nurses is all for masking:
https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...-693370279b43/
Old Jul 17th 2020, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mine is a hybrid, home-brew mask - a disposable paper filter "cup" mask (because that is what I had a supply of back in March) lined with a "shop towel" folded twice (four layers), because shop towels are reported to be particularly good filters, and then after hooking the elastic behind my head I use a neck gaiter to clamp the maks to my face and hold it tightly and firmly in place, leaving, I believe, no room for air to get into the mask without going through at least two layers of filtering material, and mostly four layers.
we also use shop towel as filters in our masks. I read a few months ago that it was very effective.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Saskatchewan Union of Nurses is all for masking:
https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...-693370279b43/
I find this interesting because of all the places that you would consider wearing a mask essential you would think hospital would be No1 but not so in Kelowna, there is no requirement to wear a mask when entering Kelowna General. Now it may be advisory but i noticed that even staff members do not wear them when effectively not dealing with patients, i.e walking corridors, waiting for coffee, sitting in communal areas. My wife has to have regular IV treatments once a month and checked with the dept when they called with the pre screening and no she didn't have to wear one unless she felt the need!
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:34 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
On the subject of masks.. what type do you think is better or more comfortable to wear? Disposable? Cotton washable? Neoprene? Poly/Cotton? Other? Ones with a filter / without a filter? With ear loops or around the head straps or an all in one ( a bit like a balaclava ) ?

I have been struggling to find one that will work for me (hence why I haven't been in a store since February) - I wear hearing aids, and glasses.. and my ears do not lay flat (so elastic straps tend to 'ping' off them!) ...... any advice or thoughts?
Would a plastic face shield work for you? I saw an older couple heading into a store the other wearing them and they weren't impacting their ears.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Would a plastic face shield work for you? I saw an older couple heading into a store the other wearing them and they weren't impacting their ears.
I have seen hats with vinyl face shields now, no ears required.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
a US Doctor was talking about this on TV a few days ago. He said although they gave some protection, they are not as effective as masks because the virus could get to the face from below and from the sides...but it did protect the eyes. Said they were OK for outdoor use in non busy places, but a face mask was better. She said if she was travelling on a plane she would wear both for extra protection.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
a US Doctor was talking about this on TV a few days ago. He said although they gave some protection, they are not as effective as masks because the virus could get to the face from below and from the sides...but it did protect the eyes. Said they were OK for outdoor use in non busy places, but a face mask was better. She said if she was travelling on a plane she would wear both for extra protection.
I have been wearing both. The shields were $2 and I would rather spend $2 than end up in hospital.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I thought of that too, thanks, but they aren't acceptable where I live, despite servers being given them to wear, apparently! (they have just bought in a requirement for wearing masks / face covering)

Wearing a mask or face covering will be required in enclosed public spaces beginning July 20, 2020. The mask or face covering should cover your nose, mouth and chin, without gapping.

Face shields are meant to be used for barrier protection for the facial area and would not be considered a substitute for wearing a face mask or face covering. Face shields do not provide any filtering against respiratory droplets. A face shield may protect the wearer against droplets expelled from another person, however, some of these droplets may still be inhaled around the shield.

Respiratory droplets expelled by the wearer may escape around the sides of the face shield, which therefore provides sub optimal protection to others.

If you choose to wear a face shield, it is recommended - if possible - to wear it in addition to a properly fitted cloth masks.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 18th 2020 at 4:27 am.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 7:29 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I went for bloodwork at Lifelabs yesterday only 2 of the 15 or so people waiting were unmasked (though some more came in later) and all staff were wearing gowns, masks, and shields. They kept things moving even though uncomfortable and having to speak loudly. The front desk lady who is always in charge was easily identifiable even under all that; volume had only been turned up a couple of notches.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have seen hats with vinyl face shields now, no ears required.
Must be hard to hear

Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The life lab I went to last month wont let anyone wait inside. Same with gowns masks and shields and all 4 of us waiting had a mask on.

Mask use is certainly falling though, people are getting complacent and I have seen more then one person comment how whats happening in the US cant happen here. Odd logic some have.

Originally Posted by caretaker
When I went for bloodwork at Lifelabs yesterday only 2 of the 15 or so people waiting were unmasked (though some more came in later) and all staff were wearing gowns, masks, and shields. They kept things moving even though uncomfortable and having to speak loudly. The front desk lady who is always in charge was easily identifiable even under all that; volume had only been turned up a couple of notches.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The life lab I went to last month wont let anyone wait inside. Same with gowns masks and shields and all 4 of us waiting had a mask on.

Mask use is certainly falling though, people are getting complacent and I have seen more then one person comment how whats happening in the US cant happen here. Odd logic some have.
Very odd indeed. Six months ago there were no cases in BC (or pretty much anyhwere else outside of China) now there are " 'only' 21 new case reported in BC in a single day", and so the risk has passed? I don't think so!
Old Jul 19th 2020, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Very odd indeed. Six months ago there were no cases in BC (or pretty much anyhwere else outside of China) now there are " 'only' 21 new case reported in BC in a single day", and so the risk has passed? I don't think so!
I think it's more a question of the risk has minimised. Of course Kelowna has been centre of media attention recently and people here are up in arms but what did they expect? It's only because we have now had some of the secrecy removed that we are hearing exact locations of the infections and we should not be surprised that a city with over 100,000 people will have some positive infections listed. (Only 21 in 5 million!)
Old Jul 19th 2020, 2:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel rich now. I have a pair of sunglasses and a mask in every car!
Old Jul 19th 2020, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I feel rich now. I have a pair of sunglasses and a mask in every car!
what about gloves? You simply must have pair of rubber type gloves...and hand sanitizer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.