Masks

Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:35 pm
  #346  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
Wearing a mask in enclosed / indoor spaces is now mandatory in London (with a by-law).

And yet, today on a visit to my local Chiropractor, lo and behold, a few people in the waiting room NOT wearing a mask - so we walked out and told them on the desk to come and get us in our car when we can go straight to a room.

Our chiropractor seems more concerned with 'not upsetting' anyone than enforcing a city-wide rule. Not happy, but from now on we will wait in the car and go directly yo a room.
They probably believe they don't come under the requirement for mask wearing under 5(b)

http://www.london.ca/city-hall/by-la.../FacePH-20.pdf
Notwithstanding the generality of section 3 and the specificity of section 4, Establishments shall not include the following:;(b) hospitals and portions of buildings used by regulated health professionals;
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:38 pm
  #347  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
They probably believe they don't come under the requirement for mask wearing under 5(b)
Aaaahhh!!! Very interesting. Extremely good spot, thank you.
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:15 pm
  #348  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,105
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
Scotrail.

The last time I saw that one it was in the Western region, somewhere between Paddington and Cardiff most likely, or possibly up near Gloucester. Of course back then it was in its pre-mask livery.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2020 at 6:16 pm.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 27th 2020, 6:12 pm
  #349  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,330
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks


Danny B is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:22 am
  #350  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,474
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I am totally confused by this.

You start out asserting that masks aren't helpful (when all the informed sources say they are, but that's a seprarate matter), but end up concluding that the spikes are driven by places where masks aren't mandatory, which unless I am more confused than you appear to be, proves that masks do help.
Why are you confused? I simply stated that the main source or these spikes we are seeing (The one here in Kelowna for example) started from gatherings at private functions, pubs and restaurants. None of these places would have a mask mandate. So yes IF they all wore masks at these events MAYBE we wouldn't have seen the spike. BUT clearly we don't have that mandate but we do have lots of people assuming that wearing a mask in a store will reduce transmissions. To date i am not aware of any spikes originating from stores or libraries or government buildings or art galleries to name a few. So to clarify are we likely to see masks being mandatory in ALL pubs, restaurants and private spaces where people MAY gather? If that is not a possibility then i still say we are not going to see much of a difference. BC has done very well up to this point except for the recent Kelowna outbreak and none of this is because we all wore masks.
printer is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:37 am
  #351  
BE Forum Addict
 
Teaandtoday5's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,309
Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer View Post
Why are you confused? I simply stated that the main source or these spikes we are seeing (The one here in Kelowna for example) started from gatherings at private functions, pubs and restaurants. None of these places would have a mask mandate. So yes IF they all wore masks at these events MAYBE we wouldn't have seen the spike. BUT clearly we don't have that mandate but we do have lots of people assuming that wearing a mask in a store will reduce transmissions. To date i am not aware of any spikes originating from stores or libraries or government buildings or art galleries to name a few. So to clarify are we likely to see masks being mandatory in ALL pubs, restaurants and private spaces where people MAY gather? If that is not a possibility then i still say we are not going to see much of a difference. BC has done very well up to this point except for the recent Kelowna outbreak and none of this is because we all wore masks.
frankly I am as confused as Pulaski. You seem to be saying that because the spikes aren’t from places where people wear masks, then no-one should wear masks anywhere? This is the sort of tortured logic that leaves me completely bemused.
Teaandtoday5 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:48 am
  #352  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,784
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1..._960/image.jpg


the Big Apple
bats is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:03 am
  #353  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,105
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
frankly I am as confused as Pulaski. You seem to be saying that because the spikes aren’t from places where people wear masks, then no-one should wear masks anywhere? This is the sort of tortured logic that leaves me completely bemused.
Yeah, pretty much this - but Printer is still denying that masks are helpful, while simultaneously pointing out that places where masks are required are not apparently the source of hotspots.

I'm curious, how much evidence he needs to accept that masks are helpful, because at the moment he has stated that places without a mask mandate are generating hotspots, and places with a mask mandate are not generating hotspots. So at the moment all the empirical evidence, that he himself has cited, points to masks being an effective way to limit the spread of the virus. What more does he need?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 28th 2020 at 2:22 am.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:24 am
  #354  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,474
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Yeah, pretty much this - but you are still deny that masks are helpful, while simultaneously pointing out that places where masks are required are not apparently the source of hotspots.

I'm curious, how much evidence do you need to accept that masks are helpful, because at the moment you have stated that places without a mask mandate are generating hotspots, and places with a mask mandate are not generating hotspots. So at the moment all the empirical evidence, that you yourself have cited, points to masks being an effective way to limit the spread of the virus. What more do you need?
This yes. Masks have not been in general use since we started to flatten the curve and were not in general use when we opened things up and yet figures were ok, the powers that be did not mandate mask wearing even though some were calling for it. Yet we were moving along with numbers dropping but an occasional blip here and there. Masks did not do this so why do you believe they will now? Shut all bars, clubs, restaurants and stop private gatherings and functions and you will see a drop i have no doubt. Keep them open and wear as many masks as you like in Costco and the mall and we will not see a significant drop in spikes.
I don't know how i can be clearer on my thoughts. I am not saying masks don't work i am saying they are not stopping the spikes in cases which surely is the whole point
printer is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:31 am
  #355  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,474
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
frankly I am as confused as Pulaski. You seem to be saying that because the spikes aren’t from places where people wear masks, then no-one should wear masks anywhere? This is the sort of tortured logic that leaves me completely bemused.
You can wear masks everywhere if you like but will it stop the spikes we are seeing? Not unless you wear one in the places i listed. So how do you suggest that these spikes that have been troubling us are managed? Remember we weren't wearing them last month in stores, nothing much has changed, in fact grocery stores have been open this entire pandemic with few wearing masks and i don't remember any stats that show we had spikes in any grocery stores to be concerned about. To put it another way how do you get masks to be worn where there is obviously a risk, as in a pub for example?
printer is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 7:47 am
  #356  
Part Time Poster
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 4,219
MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Mask have been put into place and pushed for as we are now confident that the virus can be distributed via fine aerosols (breathing) and from asymptomatic carriers, the earlier assumption was it travelled in large drops (coughs) or physical contact with a symptomatic carrier, so just staying 2M apart and washing hands would have been enough
This is a new virus and its transmission isn't fully understood


either way not wearing masks is a choice, also avoiding high risk area's is a choice
don't forget to avoid people who don't wear masks and go to high risk areas is another choice
one's that Darwin would have approved of
s

Last edited by MikeUK; Jul 28th 2020 at 7:50 am.
MikeUK is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:29 am
  #357  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 664
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
I'm rather big headed in the literal sense, requiring 8 1/4 hats, 3XL crash helmets etc. A normal mask wont fit without twisting my ears off so I need an extra large one.
I hear ya, plus I need to wear glasses, plus I work in an environment where if my glasses fog up, I am reasonably likely to injure or kill many people.

After several attempts, my employer's workplace safety people found a mask that
- fit me well
- didn't fog my glasses
- was (sort-of) certified for minimizing biological pathogen transmission

My manager took me aside, gave me one of these "special" masks, proudly noting that it had cost $14.00, so couldn't be issued to just everybody. I asked him about washing instructions, but he didn't know.

The mask worked really well, didn't fog me up during the work-day, great solution overall. Got home, looked it up on the internet: not washable, not intended for re-use, per the manufacturer's PDS.

Showed up to work next day, asked for another one, pointed out why, with appropriate reference to the manufacturer's website.

Suddenly *I'm* the cause of a big problem...

abner is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:26 am
  #358  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,057
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer View Post
Why are you confused? I simply stated that the main source or these spikes we are seeing (The one here in Kelowna for example) started from gatherings at private functions, pubs and restaurants. None of these places would have a mask mandate. So yes IF they all wore masks at these events MAYBE we wouldn't have seen the spike. BUT clearly we don't have that mandate but we do have lots of people assuming that wearing a mask in a store will reduce transmissions. To date i am not aware of any spikes originating from stores or libraries or government buildings or art galleries to name a few. So to clarify are we likely to see masks being mandatory in ALL pubs, restaurants and private spaces where people MAY gather? If that is not a possibility then i still say we are not going to see much of a difference. BC has done very well up to this point except for the recent Kelowna outbreak and none of this is because we all wore masks.
There seems to be a basic misunderstanding here.

Grocery stores remained open throughout, as you say, with no (known) spikes. Have you heard that there was thing called social distancing? There was something else too. Limits on numbers in the stores. Also aisles were made one way only. Stuff like that designed to keep people apart making transmission less likely.

Have you perhaps considered that pubs, clubs and restaurants all have something in common? Namely the frequent or ongoing need to access one's mouth? Do you not think that makes transmission a bit more likely than the restrictions that are far more practical in grocery stores?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:26 pm
  #359  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,105
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
There seems to be a basic misunderstanding here.

Grocery stores remained open throughout, as you say, with no (known) spikes. Have you heard that there was thing called social distancing? There was something else too. Limits on numbers in the stores. Also aisles were made one way only. Stuff like that designed to keep people apart making transmission less likely.

Have you perhaps considered that pubs, clubs and restaurants all have something in common? Namely the frequent or ongoing need to access one's mouth? Do you not think that makes transmission a bit more likely than the restrictions that are far more practical in grocery stores?
Then there is the matter of time of exposure. In a grocery store people are moving backwards and forwards, and so in, say, 45 minutes in a grocery you might walk past many people, but only encounter a few of them more than once, and none of them more than briefly. Whereas in a bar or restaurant you remain in one place for an hour or more, near the same people, so if you happen to be "downwind" from someone infected you will be breathing in viral particles with every breath.
Pulaski is online now  
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:05 pm
  #360  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Someone out here is making masks with Newfie messages on them:
https://www.varagesale.com/regina-sk...-message-masks
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.