Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Local newspaper stories

Local newspaper stories

Old Sep 22nd 2019, 6:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local newspaper stories

Canada is nasty:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada...erta-1.4604831
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 6:50 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
When I first saw the post, I naturally assumed that this was another report of Canada Bashing.
But, unless I'm wrong, this is an example of the something completely different. Of course the veiled threat from the Officer's extended family does support the contention hat Canada is run by the family mafia.

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminder about email transfers and some of the risk involved, and always use secure, difficult to guess passwords.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/etr...mers-1.5286926

Old Sep 28th 2019, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

RCMP released more details today about the killings over the summer by the 2 BC teens.

RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation
Old Sep 28th 2019, 1:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
RCMP released more details today about the killings over the summer by the 2 BC teens.

RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation
An absolutely chilling read JS. How lucky was that man on the Alaska Highway to escape?

I think one of the statements the killers made in one of their videos is very telling re their state of mind - they were planning to steal a boat and go to Europe or Asia. Totally disconnected from reality. Those poor people they killed.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Not a local story, but not everyone realized how dangerous the ramp is at an airport. It might not be a high skill job but experience does matter, and with all the outsourcing, and high turn over, there is less and less experience on a ramp these days.

https://www.ajc.com/business/hartsfi...rYd2OhD6KD3jN/

Old Sep 30th 2019, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

https://business.financialpost.com/p...que-poll-finds

Poll conducted found Third of Canadian's have no retirement savings, half live check to check, Third can't afford to pay off their credit card debt.

No credit card debt for us, but no retirement savings, no savings at all.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The secret to saving is to watch what you buy. Don't buy anything you don't NEED.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The secret to saving is to watch what you buy. Don't buy anything you don't NEED.
For most yes, not everyone lacks savings due to buying things. For some its too low income, and too high cost of living for essentials like housing eating so much income there isn't enough left to save.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think JSmith needs your 'secret to saving'. If your income only covers your rent and food, which one of those don't you NEED?
Old Oct 1st 2019, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

For most yes, not everyone lacks savings due to buying things. For some its too low income, and too high cost of living for essentials like housing eating so much income there isn't enough left to save.
Oh, fair enough, Jsmth. But it's a general rule and a good one, and I know a great number of people who break it! I'm glad you're not one of them.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think JSmith needs your 'secret to saving'. If your income only covers your rent and food, which one of those don't you NEED?
I have no idea whether Jsmth needs "my" secret or not; I hope not, and I presume not. And you presume not, too. But many people do need to observe the rule. As an accountant I've often been asked "how can I save more?", and when I say "stop eating out and drinking out", the response has all too often been, "but I NEED to do those things!" To which the only sensible judgment is, "No you don't."

(Js's income has to cover more than rent and food. You forgot medical, clothing and basic transport - and maybe Income Tax, if he earns enough. He needs all those, too.)
Old Oct 1st 2019, 1:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

(Js's income has to cover more than rent and food. You forgot medical, clothing and basic transport - and maybe Income Tax, if he earns enough. He needs all those, too.)
J and wife live hand to mouth on the breadline. If they could save at all it would be towards helpful mental health therapy. I very much doubt they buy frivolously at all - not that you suggested they did - as they simply do not have the money for that.
My family was poor when I was young. That was also hand to mouth . Savings just wasn't a part of it from memory. It was all about being able to get from one wage day to another . I rather feel it will be the same for Mr and Mrs J.
I can add that when one is poor with nothing left over in the pot each week that clothes do not come into it really. You get by with what you have year in year out. The minimum.

Old Oct 1st 2019, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
J and wife live hand to mouth on the breadline. If they could save at all it would be towards helpful mental health therapy. I very much doubt they buy frivolously at all - not that you suggested they did - as they simply do not have the money for that.
My family was poor when I was young. That was also hand to mouth . Savings just wasn't a part of it from memory. It was all about being able to get from one wage day to another . I rather feel it will be the same for Mr and Mrs J.
I can add that when one is poor with nothing left over in the pot each week that clothes do not come into it really. You get by with what you have year in year out. The minimum.
Yes, I know, BEVS. But I would very much prefer to make this topic a general one, not one about a specific individual. That would make no sense. When I was in my first job (1957) I got off the evening tram and walked the last mile to my boarding-house in order to save a penny off the fare. I'm sure many of us on this thread have poverty in their past, real or relative. I'm sad for anybody and everybody who has poverty in their present.

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; Oct 1st 2019 at 2:09 am. Reason: "off the fare", not "of..."
Old Oct 1st 2019, 2:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

https://business.financialpost.com/p...que-poll-finds

Poll conducted found Third of Canadian's have no retirement savings, half live check to check, Third can't afford to pay off their credit card debt.

Yes, I know, BEVS. But I would very much prefer to make this topic a general one, not one about a specific individual. That would make no sense. When I was in my first job (1957) I got off the evening tram and walked the last mile to my boarding-house in order to save a penny off the fare. I'm sure many of us on this thread have poverty in their past, real or relative. I'm sad for anybody and everybody who has poverty in their present.
Perhaps start a new topic about savings and how to. As far as I can see it was JSmth321 that linked to a newspaper article about savings but this is within the Local Newspaper Stories thread where the topics in question will meander according to who is looking in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.