Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Local newspaper stories

Local newspaper stories

Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local newspaper stories

Originally Posted by caretaker
Looks like it goes north/south between Winnipeg and Churchill.
So could hop a train south, then get anywhere in Canada.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So could hop a train south, then get anywhere in Canada.
It wouldn't be easy to get on the passenger train, but the first grain shipment to Churchill since the washed-out section up north has been repaired just made the news. I don't know what the turn-around time is or if it's already gone back south, or what other freights go through there. I'm sure the railroad cops have been on the alert since the car was found on the reserve and the train crews know where to look for hitch hikers. You're right about getting anywhere; if it slows down they can jump wherever they want. The kid's father said he thinks they'll try to go out in a "blaze of glory". They're just assholes, tbh.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking freight, I have no idea what kind of trains pass through that region, but yeah near impossible to sneak onto a passenger train and not get noticed.

It wouldn't be easy to get on the passenger train, but the first grain shipment to Churchill since the washed-out section up north has been repaired just made the news. I don't know what the turn-around time is or if it's already gone back south, or what other freights go through there. I'm sure the railroad cops have been on the alert since the car was found on the reserve and the train crews know where to look for hitch hikers. You're right about getting anywhere; if it slows down they can jump wherever they want. The kid's father said he thinks they'll try to go out in a "blaze of glory". They're just assholes, tbh.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking freight, I have no idea what kind of trains pass through that region, but yeah near impossible to sneak onto a passenger train and not get noticed.
Jumping on and off isn't as easy as it is on tv either, but the Global article says they've been searching them, which isn't surprising.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5684912/2...medium=Twitter
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A public safety warning has been issued in Ontario as police believe two men accused of killing a young couple and an unknown man in northern British Columbia are heading in an “easterly direction.”

On Wednesday, Ontario Provincial Police issued the warning stating that Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, were last seen in Meadow Lake, Sask.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 12:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A public safety warning has been issued in Ontario as police believe two men accused of killing a young couple and an unknown man in northern British Columbia are heading in an “easterly direction.”

On Wednesday, Ontario Provincial Police issued the warning stating that Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, were last seen in Meadow Lake, Sask.
They were in Meadow Lake on Sunday morning, bought gas in Split Lake, Manitoba, and set fire to the car they took from their first victim when they got to the Bird reserve north of Gillam, Manitoba on Monday morning. If they managed to get out of that area, they could well be in Ontario.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The Montreal police received a call that 2 young men had been seen in a car, and fitted the identification photos.

Car surrounded, men ordered to get out ............ 20 minutes later the police had enough proof to let them go ............. 2 Americans in their 20s.

I've wondered about the train.

The line has just been repaired, and is owned and run by a consortium of First Nations.

There is a regular VIA passenger service (twice a week in each direction at the moment) between Winnipeg and Churchill.

Presumably the freights will run as frequently as they can as they try to get the goods to the port of Churchill before freeze-up.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 4:20 am
Account Closed

That is a trip to Canada those guys won't forget.

My dad and uncle when I was like 10 got pulled over, cops with guns out, handcuffed and detained for several hours, turned out 2 men had robbed a bank earlier in the day and left in a red Ford truck, the same kind my dad and uncle were driving.

Originally Posted by scilly
The Montreal police received a call that 2 young men had been seen in a car, and fitted the identification photos.

Car surrounded, men ordered to get out ............ 20 minutes later the police had enough proof to let them go ............. 2 Americans in their 20s.

I've wondered about the train.

The line has just been repaired, and is owned and run by a consortium of First Nations.

There is a regular VIA passenger service (twice a week in each direction at the moment) between Winnipeg and Churchill.

Presumably the freights will run as frequently as they can as they try to get the goods to the port of Churchill before freeze-up.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 4:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Several hours! Meanwhile the bad guys are long gone. About 45 years ago I was hitch hiking west in Wawa Ontario and an OPP car pulled up, the officer asked me the usual round of questions, wished me luck, then left. 15 minutes later he returned at great speed , veered across the highway and screeched to a stop in front of me. The drivers door flew open and he leveled his revolver at me, then approached slowly while glancing back and forth between me and a photograph in his off hand. When he got close he holstered his gun then asked if I had an identical twin that was a bank robber.

My dad and uncle when I was like 10 got pulled over, cops with guns out, handcuffed and detained for several hours, turned out 2 men had robbed a bank earlier in the day and left in a red Ford truck, the same kind my dad and uncle were driving.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 5:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wonder they didn't arrest you as well on suspicion of being the look-out!
Old Jul 26th 2019, 5:39 am
Account Closed

I wasn't with them, I was waiting at my grandma's house for them to come pick me up and take me home. No cell phones back then, so my grandma couldn't do much but wait.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's a wonder they didn't arrest you as well on suspicion of being the look-out!
Old Jul 26th 2019, 2:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

This guy looked a lot like one of them. Mind you, he doesn't look that much like his security cam picture from Sunday in Meadow Lake. They can dye their hair, shave it off, even get contacts to change their eye colour, but it's pretty tough to hide being 6' 4" tall.
"A man bearing an uncanny resemblance to B.C. fugitive Kam McLeod, shown in a photo posing with a copy of Thursday's Winnipeg Sun, is not the alleged killer, police confirmed."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hoto-1.5226126

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 26th 2019 at 2:42 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This guy looked a lot like one of them. Mind you, he doesn't look that much like his security cam picture from Sunday in Meadow Lake. They can dye their hair, shave it off, even get contacts to change their eye colour, but it's pretty tough to hide being 6' 4" tall.
"A man bearing an uncanny resemblance to B.C. fugitive Kam McLeod, shown in a photo posing with a copy of Thursday's Winnipeg Sun, is not the alleged killer, police confirmed."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hoto-1.5226126
I know someone who is a dead ringer for him - except for the height.. the person I know is only about 5'9 luckily!
Old Jul 26th 2019, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

California judge significantly reduces punitive damages awarded in a round up case in California.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bayer-...fiZ8TEkfnigjkI

Punitive damages reduced from $2 billion to $69 million.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

On the news at noon ............... police have stopped the VIA passenger train at Gillam and are checking everyone to make sure that the 2 guys don't get on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.