Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Local newspaper stories

Local newspaper stories

Old Jul 26th 2019, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local newspaper stories

No confirmed sightings since Monday.
Military has been approved to provide necessary aircraft support.
RCMP open to the possibility the 2 may no longer be in the area.
RCMP will go door to door over the weekend to all houses in the area.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5687160/b...-rcmp-manhunt/
Old Jul 27th 2019, 12:31 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't burn their truck until they had another vehicle, but that might not mean anything. There are so many possibilities; they might have car-jacked somebody before they got to Gillam then left in their vehicle, could have jumped a train, could be in the bush, could be anywhere. The armed forces can run aircraft all over looking for a heat signature but that's a longshot. At least they can write it all off as training, I suppose. They must have trailers or a tent city or something to put all the police in.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No confirmed sightings since Monday.
Military has been approved to provide necessary aircraft support.
RCMP open to the possibility the 2 may no longer be in the area.
RCMP will go door to door over the weekend to all houses in the area.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5687160/b...-rcmp-manhunt/
Old Jul 27th 2019, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not local but worth a mention.

Journalist in a junior position was asked to type the contents of an email and save it. Her only instruction - "don't make any mistakes."
Fastidiously typing in the memo, and not knowing what the document was or its origins, I’d changed all the American spelling “mistakes” to British English. “Recognize” became recognise, and “emphasize” emphasise. “Favorable” was amended to favourable. I thought I was being helpful. Instead, it was a disaster.
Turned out it was a big story about a leaked memo of an American source and its authenticity was doubted due to the British English spelling.

You've caused an international incident
Old Jul 28th 2019, 1:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not local but worth a mention.

Journalist in a junior position was asked to type the contents of an email and save it. Her only instruction - "don't make any mistakes."

Turned out it was a big story about a leaked memo of an American source and its authenticity was doubted due to the British English spelling.

You've caused an international incident
Ooops!
Old Jul 29th 2019, 6:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 murder suspects being sought in northern Manitoba may have been spotted at the dump in York Landing 280km west of Gillam. A member of the Bear Clan Patrol (which has sent some members up there to offer services to the residents) saw 2 tall, slender men apparently scavenging in the landfill. When the men realised they were not alone they bolted and ran into the tree line. This could be the best chance yet for the dogs to get on a fresh trail. I suspect they may have arrived in Gillam with 2 vehicles then used one to double back.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ives-1.5228418
Old Jul 29th 2019, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The little town is in lockdown now, pretty much.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...nhunt-drags-on

The boys' whole venture seems to have been superbly planned - unless they have just gotten incredibly lucky. If they're following the news at all, I think it's likely that they will allow themselves to be captured alive. They will be too strongly tempted to bask in the notoriety. Any thoughts on that?
Old Jul 29th 2019, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The boys' whole venture seems to have been superbly planned - unless they have just gotten incredibly lucky. If they're following the news at all, I think it's likely that they will allow themselves to be captured alive. They will be too strongly tempted to bask in the notoriety. Any thoughts on that?
I don't like to speculate but I just haven't been able to get this out of my head.

Old Aug 1st 2019, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if the 2 fugitives on the run are still alive.....RCMP scaling back search in Manitoba.

https://nationalpost.com/news/rcmp-a...rthern-ontario
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:07 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Wonder if the 2 fugitives on the run are still alive...
What baffles me is why the search in York Landing was stopped after just 1 day. If anyone knows who the 2 tall, skinny men seen foraging in the dump were, that information wasn't shared with the public. The police spent a week In the area around Gillam without picking up a trail so why wouldn't' they get straight into the bush around that dump at York Landing and the nearby water treatment plant with every tracking dog they could muster while there might a fresh trail? I'll bet everyone living around York Landing will be keeping a gun close until the suspects are caught, wherever they are. Now, with no search and no roadblock it's unclear what the police strategy is.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 3:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Ok, now everyone find Kapuskasing (I've been there!) on your maps and add a yellow pin (for possible sighting), dated yesterday, July 31.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5712583/o...pects-manhunt/
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

RCMP dive team will begin searching a section of the Nelson River tomorrow.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...6798JNg7nf7kpo
Old Aug 4th 2019, 9:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

RCMP dive team will begin searching a section of the Nelson River tomorrow
I wonder why. There was no information released to the public during whole time they were searching around Gillam that indicated they'd found any sign of the 2 suspects. If they found evidence that the suspects had approached the river in a particular spot, it might make sense to do a bottom search for firearms, but otherwise it looks like just an opportunity to give the dive team a training exercise.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 10:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wonder why. There was no information released to the public during whole time they were searching around Gillam that indicated they'd found any sign of the 2 suspects. If they found evidence that the suspects had approached the river in a particular spot, it might make sense to do a bottom search for firearms, but otherwise it looks like just an opportunity to give the dive team a training exercise.
I don't know how accurate this is, but https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ead-in-manhunt
Old Aug 4th 2019, 1:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know how accurate this is, but https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ead-in-manhunt
Thanks for that, sos, I hadn't seen the linked Globe and Mail article and the national news doesn't seem to have picked it up yet. This is a quote from CBC just now - "The press release does not say what the divers are looking for, or what has prompted them to search the river." I suppose the big question around Gillam now is who owns that little green boat and where are they, and when did they last see their boat. If it was them and they only went in on Friday, it could be another 2 or 3 days before they float up (provided they aren't snagged on anything) and that might be miles downstream. The RCMP no doubt have their drone and helicopters watching for that while the dive team checks the area of the boat. On our local lake here, it seems the average drowning victim pops up within a few days, but it took a hockey player with a densely muscled athletic build 5 or 6 days one summer. Here's a clip of Limestone Rapids:

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 4th 2019 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker
Thanks for that, sos, I hadn't seen the linked Globe and Mail article and the national news doesn't seem to have picked it up yet. This is a quote from CBC just now - "The press release does not say what the divers are looking for, or what has prompted them to search the river." I suppose the big question around Gillam now is who owns that little green boat and where are they, and when did they last see their boat. If it was them and they only went in on Friday, it could be another 2 or 3 days before they float up (provided they aren't snagged on anything) and that might be miles downstream. The RCMP no doubt have their drone and helicopters watching for that while the dive team checks the area of the boat. On our local lake here, it seems the average drowning victim pops up within a few days, but it took a hockey player with a densely muscled athletic build 5 or 6 days one summer. Here's a clip of Limestone Rapids:
I can see why they're called rapids, my stomach was doing somersaults watching that. I know the two people being searched for are supposed to be skilled at land survival, but those rapids are another thing entirely. Hopefully they'll 'surface' one way or the other, whether on land or in water, it must be a very anxious time for people who live in the vicinity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.