Groceries

Old Nov 28th 2019, 6:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Bristol, 400g Sainsburys cheddar, £2 seemed to be the regular price.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 7:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Bristol, 400g Sainsburys cheddar, £2 seemed to be the regular price.
Yep, that fits with my recent example of 200g for £1 ($1.70) as opposed to the $8.99 here for the same size. Shocking difference.
But then there are examples of things cheaper here to help make up for it.

Old Nov 28th 2019, 7:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

No Frills has St Hubert Tourtiere, but it isn't on sale.... $9 isn't as good as $5 or $6, but I haven't had one in a long time so I might go back and get one. There was some Saupto cheese on for half price, and I thought it looked like the fresh mozza I see on the food channel and hard to go wrong for $2.25, but when I asked the cashier she said it was more like cheese curds. Having never had poutine I suppose it may be time to take the plunge and try it out. I certainly have the technology to make chips and gravy, and up until now all that's been lacking is the will and the cheese curds. Tourtiere and poutine may be on the menu tonight. If I had a 6 pack of Brador I'd be set.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yep, that fits with my recent example of 200g for £1 ($1.70) as opposed to the $8.99 here for the same size. Shocking difference.
But then there are examples of things cheaper here to help make up for it.
Ah, yes, so it does. What are the good value items in NB?
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:27 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by caretaker
No Frills has St Hubert Tourtiere, but it isn't on sale.... $9 isn't as good as $5 or $6, but I haven't had one in a long time so I might go back and get one. There was some Saupto cheese on for half price, and I thought it looked like the fresh mozza I see on the food channel and hard to go wrong for $2.25, but when I asked the cashier she said it was more like cheese curds. Having never had poutine I suppose it may be time to take the plunge and try it out. I certainly have the technology to make chips and gravy, and up until now all that's been lacking is the will and the cheese curds. Tourtiere and poutine may be on the menu tonight. If I had a 6 pack of Brador I'd be set.
Damn right it is !
Old Nov 28th 2019, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes, so it does. What are the good value items in NB?
Probably Canada rather than NB. Water melon, corn cobs in general. Eggs at one particular store - oddly the pharmacy!
There's a huge variation in the price of beef with some steaks and roasts available for as little as $3 or $4/lb. But at the upper end the equivalent may be cheaper in the UK.

Pork chops can often be had for $1 or $2/lb. Pepsi and coke. We mainly buy 2l size for $1.

I think Canada has some spectacular deals every week. Not just one or two loss leaders, several things half price, sometimes less. Sometimes I leave a store and practically everything in my cart was reduced by between 25% and 55% and that's not including the half price stuff with the BB date approaching.

When I was a regular at Sainsburys I remember double points on bacon and chicken portion packs BOGOF and that was pretty much all that interested me. Just 5p or 10p here and there which isn't enough to influence what I buy. But when premium rib roast is $7/lb and normally $16, or chickens are $5.50 each instead of $13, that's when we stock up.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:32 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Damn right it is !
I have rather surprised myself by becoming oddly fond of a Poutine I tried one in Smokes in Fredericton perhaps a couple of winters ago when it was frigid and it was warmingly pleasant. I’m never going to become a big fan, but on the right day and time it’s a pleasant way to pass a boring lunch.

This struck a chord as evidently my son had been having a good time with his friends last night. He came in very late I suppose, and when I came down very early this morning I discovered a half eaten box of Smokes Poutine and I looked out at the snow, shoved it in the microwave, and downed the lot before breakfast...a good start to a bad day
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:42 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
I have rather surprised myself by becoming oddly fond of a Poutine...I’m never going to become a big fan, but on the right day and time it’s a pleasant way to pass a boring lunch.
That's what would worry me; passing it unexpectedly.

Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Went to No Frills this afternoon and sure enough, the tourtiere was reduced to $6 so I picked a couple of them up. Also a pork half loin @$1.77/lb which I cut into chops, some butterflied for schnitzel, and 1 roast. It pays to shop the sales.

Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much only buy stuff in the flyer, some weeks the food is healthier then other weeks, but its the only consistent way to keep within our budget, I think we spent about $60 this week for food.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 8:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Went to No Frills this afternoon and sure enough, the tourtiere was reduced to $6 so I picked a couple of them up. Also a pork half loin @$1.77/lb which I cut into chops, some butterflied for schnitzel, and 1 roast. It pays to shop the sales.
I had to google tourtiere. It's minced meat pie is it? Is it like a cornish pasty but in a pie?

* longs for a decent scotch egg now*

Old Dec 1st 2019, 9:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BEVS
I had to google tourtiere. It's minced meat pie is it? Is it like a cornish pasty but in a pie?
* longs for a decent scotch egg now*
The Quebecers on here could maybe answer that, I've only had commercial tourtiere, (Schneider's and St Hubert) and the only Cornish pasties I've had are those I made myself. It's about 180 degrees away from health food, just so there's no misunderstanding.
Sensory overload - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tourtiere+...ges&iax=images
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourti%C3%A8re

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 1st 2019 at 10:07 pm. Reason: avoidance of misunderstanding
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BEVS
I had to google tourtiere. It's minced meat pie is it?
The Quebecers on here could maybe answer that,
My MIL makes them occasionally. Different to Cornish pasty.

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:08 pm
Oscar nominated

24 packets of Colman's casserole mixes from Amazon.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:16 pm
Yo

Hagen Dasz @ £2.50 x 11 (not for me, honest!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.