Groceries

Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

I was looking at lettuces and deciding between a pack of three Romain or the organic version with a 50% sticker. Then I noticed a load of organic iceberg lettuces also 50% and decided on that.

At home and unpacking, my stepson says "you bought a cabbage." He doesn't like cabbage.
It's a lettuce says I. He passes it to me and instantly I feel the weight. It's obviously cabbage. Odd thing, there's no 50% sticker. I know they had stickers on, not just one or two but all of them. So perhaps this was a rogue cabbage among the lettuces. Or a senior moment.

I looked over my receipt just to check I had all the points added and I saw the price of the cabbage. $11.93.

Who pays almost $12 for a flippin cabbage? (apart from me)

My favourite way to eat cabbage is with baked beans but I can't do that now. There must be some fancy gourmet way of using a cabbage that cost that much. Any ideas?
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I saw the price of the cabbage. $11.93. Any ideas?
If you just bought it, phone the store, explain that you made a mistake and ask if you can bring it back.
That's about 3x what I'd like to pay.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
If you just bought it, phone the store, explain that you made a mistake and ask if you can bring it back.
That's about 3x what I'd like to pay.
It would cost me $5.50 by bus to do that.

I saved on plenty of other deals so I'll swallow it.

The most annoying thing is at the beginning of the week I was having a salad and I had a sudden craving for olives. So today, I splashed out on some nice plump ones from the olive cart but now that the lettuce is a cabbage I can't have a salad with olives yet.

Just as well MIL is going to Walmart tomorrow. She can get one then.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a good white cabbage, make some coleslaw. I know it's not terribly authentic, but I like to make a slaw with white cabbage, red onion, carrot, and a handful of sultanas or raisins. The dressing is mayonnaise, white wine vinegar and dijon mustard in the ratio of about 5:2:1, with a bit of S&P added . Finely slice the cabbage and onion (as thin as your knife skills will permit), grate the carrots on a medium-coarse grater, throw the main ingredients in a bowl in the proportions you like, mix the dressing in a different bowl, combine everything and mix it all up thoroughly. The important thing for me is that the cabbage etc is in reasonably long slices, not in the tiny little chopped up pieces you get in commercial coleslaw. And it's not sickly sweet, either.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a sudden craving for olives. So today, I splashed out on some nice plump ones from the olive cart
The olive cart has gotten so pricey, these days I just buy a tub of the Ziggy's Kalamata olives, likewise their Feta cheese. I am out of olives, and noticed this recipe last night while cruising cordon bleu on the interweb:
Provolone & Olive Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe - EatingWell

Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:56 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I paid (aussie) $20 for a bunch a grapes once in a jetlagged moment.

Prices look scary in the maritimes.....
Old Jun 27th 2019, 4:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If it's a good white cabbage, make some coleslaw....
I'll do a small one and see how it goes.

I will sauté some and roast some wedges of it. One of the recipes I looked at said once they tasted a roasted version they never boiled again.

I have actually fried onions with pav bhaji masala powder and added shredded cabbage - because I didn't have the mixed veg I would normally use - and that was very good.

Originally Posted by caretaker
...noticed this recipe last night while cruising cordon bleu on the interweb:
Provolone & Olive Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe - EatingWell
That's worth a go. No olives for MIL though, she doesn't like them.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Prices look scary in the maritimes.....
Not particularly - Atlantic Xpat's Rock experience aside. I think it was because it was organic and a particularly heavy one. 1.81kg according to the receipt (all the more surprising I didn't notice).
I came back with cherries at $2.99 lb; seedless grapes $1.99; chicken legs $1.29 lb; T-Bone steak @ $6.99 lb among other things.

And for $20 a bucket of 36 wings and wedges. Four of us just had a nice lunch of that leaving most of the wings to be frozen to feast on another day.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Wholesale club has replaced the Ziggy's olives with Sardo, more money but a larger tub and I suspect a lower unit price. I bought the Kalamata.

Here are the 2 types of hard parmesan they have, $18 for Gran Padano and $23 for Reggiano.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If it's a good white cabbage, make some coleslaw. I know it's not terribly authentic, but I like to make a slaw with white cabbage, red onion, carrot, and a handful of sultanas or raisins. The dressing is mayonnaise, white wine vinegar and dijon mustard in the ratio of about 5:2:1, with a bit of S&P added . Finely slice the cabbage and onion (as thin as your knife skills will permit), grate the carrots on a medium-coarse grater, throw the main ingredients in a bowl in the proportions you like, mix the dressing in a different bowl, combine everything and mix it all up thoroughly. The important thing for me is that the cabbage etc is in reasonably long slices, not in the tiny little chopped up pieces you get in commercial coleslaw. And it's not sickly sweet, either.
Made a slight variation. Used spring onions instead of red onion - we didn't have any when it was made. We had red wine vinegar so used cider vinegar instead.
It was a little too vinegary on the first experimental mix so it was bulked up with more mayo and mustard. After the other ingredients were added I still thought it might need a bit more mayo but it was left in the fridge and then plans changed and it was delayed another day.

Tonight, 2 days after it was made it was perfect. I guess the sultanas defeated the vinegar. It went very nicely with Ham steak and baked spud.

At least I got my money's worth from the cabbage...roasted, sautéed and coleslaw for three meals for four and a part of a couple of lunches.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 7:20 pm
Oscar nominated

After last week's Bison steak which was almost as good as rib eye, Sobeys had Elk steak this week. $10.99 for a pack of two. I don't suppose it will be much different and that will be a good thing. Not an eye watering price.

No cabbage this time, I bought a real lettuce.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After last week's Bison steak which was almost as good as rib eye, Sobeys had Elk steak this week. $10.99 for a pack of two. I don't suppose it will be much different and that will be a good thing. Not an eye watering price.

I’m sorry but I couldn’t eat that if you paid me. The only meat I eat is chicken/turkey/beef/pork/lamb. I cannot eat minced up meat...that could come from any part of the animal, or offal. That is the meat I grew up eating, so I don’t think of its source...but anything else all I can think if is the poor animal. I know it doesn’t make sense.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind bison, but I never liked elk, tried it a few times but I dislike the taste of it. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't great.

Old Jul 5th 2019, 9:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Someone could drop a quarter of an elk on my doorstep and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I think it's excellent. Before we moved to the city, a very popular supper dish at our place was open-faced hot beef sandwich with gravy, but it was probably only beef 1 time out of 4.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 6:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

This was on sale for $5 (reg $8 or so) and at half off cost $2.50. Now I'm going to go get some wine.

Last edited by caretaker; Jul 10th 2019 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 1:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

You can't beat a bit of camembert, especially when the supermarket has been so good to keep it for you until it's nice and ripe... and then gives a discount just when it's approaching it's best!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.