Groceries

Old Aug 5th 2019, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I buy when it's $2.99 or less.
It was $6.99 in Sobeys the other day. That's where it stayed.

Of course, if you want to impress your date by cooking a meal then the cost of it doesn't matter.
I was just trying to eat healthier, I really like asparagus but dang is it ever expensive. Even the independent store we go to was 4.99/lb, so I didn't buy any.

Ended up buying frozen broccoli and zucchini which rounds up the vegetables I like cooked, along with some carrots which I will eat raw but not cooked.

Old Aug 5th 2019, 9:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...which I will eat raw but not cooked.
Have you tried roast carrots? Completely different to raw and boiled.

Old Aug 5th 2019, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried roast carrots? Completely different to raw and boiled.
I have and still don't care for them, carrots for me have to be raw.

Old Aug 9th 2019, 6:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

This week I took my duck out of the freezing compartment, let it thaw for a few days in the fridge, then marinated and roasted it. I wanted to make some room, rotate stock, etc. I thought since No Frills had only had pedigrees ducks for $24 for months, they must be nearly ready for another shipment of utility ducks. Intuition was right on; $2/lb utility ducks in the No Frills flyer delivered this morning. Doesn't do anything for the space problem, but I'll pick one up anyway while still eating the first one.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

UK report (by Which?) finds supermarkets misleading consumers again.

The consumer group Which? analysed 459 “offers” to find multi-buy deals that cost shoppers more than buying the items separately just one week before, as well as “dubious” discounts and so-called special prices that were in place for most of the year...Among the misleading deals:
  • Iceland’s offer of Kellogg’s Crunchy Nut cereal at two packs for £4, when customers could have bought them individually for £1.49 a week earlier
  • Asda labelled Wall’s one-litre Carte D’Or strawberry ice cream as “was £3.50 now £2”, despite selling the product at the lower price for more of the year than the higher price
  • Morrisons promoted Cathedral City mature cheddar cheese (350g) as “was £3.50 now £2” for the week of 17 September last year, when the product had been available at the lower price of £2 the week before
Of course we have the same thing here: Regular price $4.50, buy 2 for $7 for something that's routinely $3.50; Buy one get one free for something priced at $2.60 when it's normally $1.70...although that is, of course, still a deal just not as much as suggested...

But I don't know that I have seen such consumer reports along those lines here.

But look at that cheese. Whether it's £3.50 or £2 for 350g that's why we complain so much of the price of cheese here. This is not your common or garden PC or Cracker Barrel (as much as I think the extra old is unfairly maligned) but one that's priced around $5/100g, so that would be $17.50 or £10.70 if you're lucky and they can get it for £2
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:15 pm
Oscar nominated

Here ye, here ye. Unadvertised special in Superstore.
Agropur Grand Cheddar.
Normally comes in a box, 200g size

And has long been my favourite stronger cheese. For the 200g size it's usually $10-$14 depending on age.

Today they had loads of smaller packs without the box @ $3.49/100g. Astonishingly it was the 5 years stuff.

They also had some packs of the 1 year one @$2.99/100g. But if you're willing to pay that, then pay the extra 50c for the much better one.

I bought three packs and already I regret not getting more.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 9:20 pm
Oscar nominated

...already I regret not getting more.
Stepdaughter popped in after work and got some more.

Old Oct 15th 2019, 6:47 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Stepdaughter popped in after work and got some more.
On the cheese front, the PC Isle of Man cheddar i just opened is extremely disappointing, barely a notch better than melting block cheese. I really must look out for that Castello Tingler again, even if it is archetypal British Cheddar, made in Denmark....
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

HID has banned all cheese from our place. I have to go out to have a pizza. I'm feeling a lot of empathy with North Koreans.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
HID has banned all cheese from our place. I have to go out to have a pizza. I'm feeling a lot of empathy with North Koreans.
You're getting a free tapas buffet tonight, fill your boots when you can and then negotiate.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 11:30 am
Account Closed

I have this book called $5 meals something or other, its printed with the US market in mind and Canada just gets the US version, tried one of the recipes today.

Can of beans @ 2.28
4 eggs @ 1.32 (for all 4)
corn tortillas 1.56
topping of cheese, we already had the cheese.

So provided the cheese is available and don't need to buy it specifically for this recipe, it came in pretty close to $5.

If cheese needs to be bought impossible to stay around $5
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have this book called $5 meals something or other, its printed with the US market in mind and Canada just gets the US version, tried one of the recipes today.

Can of beans @ 2.28
corn tortillas 1.56

So provided the cheese is available and don't need to buy it specifically for this recipe, it came in pretty close to $5.

Do you like Indian dahls made with lentils or chick peas? Tasty with rice and very low cost.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 12:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I buy beans (either Clark's or Heinz) when they're $1.00/can and try to keep 4 - 6 stocked. The 18 egg cartons (Harmon's) are $5 at No Frills. I don't like hard tortillas, and the soft ones are more than $1.56 unless I find them reduced. Making tortillas is fun but too smokey for apartments. Cheese is expensive; I paid $6 for 400g of Ziggy's feta yesterday, and that was the cheaper brand (though I like it). I like to have grated cheddar in tacos or burritos, or on refried beans, but if I buy a 700g or 900g block I don't use it fast enough and end up cutting mold off for about the last 1/3. The feta is a better match for Mexican goat cheese anyway. I try to keep cans of black beans and kidney beans handy, as well as diced tomatoes, stocking up when they're on for $1. Then if I want to make chili or even just refried beans I know I have it. If you paid $2.88 because you bought Old El Paso refried beans, you should learn how to make them with a $1 can of kidney beans (or black or pinto beans) and a little onion or green onion and a little sea salt and margarine, mashing it up in the frying pan. Jose (Pepe) Morales showed me how to do it so I claim it as authentic. I like to make clam chowder, and recently found that the dollar stores don't have canned clams anymore. I had to pay $2.89 for a can of clams, and that was on sale! The regular price was a dollar more in most stores. That's the sort of thing I'll keep an eye out for, and if I see them somewhere for $1 or $1.50 I'll buy a bunch.

Can of beans @ 2.28
corn tortillas 1.56

Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Had no idea cheese was expensive.

Anything like this in Vancouver JS?

https://olioex.com/
Old Oct 16th 2019, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
Had no idea cheese was expensive.
Good cheese is, okay cheese isn't.
Just looking at Tesco. Cathedral City Extra Mature is £1/100g = $1.70
Tesco extra mature 49p/100g = 83c

A 400g slab here, of the tastiest 'extra old' which is not as tasty as the Tesco one but okay will set you back $5 on offer, so $1.25/100g

Something as good as Tesco extra mature will be like that Agropur I mentioned above you might get for $3.49/100g if you are really - and I mean really - lucky.

Of course you take the good with the bad and you can make up for the cost of good cheese with, for example, corn cobs for between 25c ('wrapped') and 50c each and I see Tesco has twin packs - not the cheapest way to buy, granted - for £1.50 or $1.27 each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.