Groceries

Old Dec 8th 2019, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Is their delivery service any good? I've been thinking about doing it... Metro also offer home delivery now, I have yet to use that one either. I have used Grocery Gateway and have found them to be excellent.

Hi ho hi ho - it's off to get groceries I go...

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a Turkey crown (i.e. the double breast only) - I've had the 'cook-from- frozen rolled roast' but it's really not the same.
We bought 2 of these at Costco today. This is what we get most years. They are not frozen but fresh and we freeze them. They are usually gone from Costco long before Christmas.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 10:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We bought 2 of these at Costco today. This is what we get most years. They are not frozen but fresh and we freeze them. They are usually gone from Costco long before Christmas.
Good to know - thanks - not members of Costco unfortunately.

Are they taken from previously frozen birds and defrosted then sold as fresh (as is so much of the 'fresh' fish and meat when you buy them) .. or are they truly fresh?

Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a Turkey crown (i.e. the double breast only) - I've had the 'cook-from- frozen rolled roast' but it's really not the same.
Never seen it here. Often see the single breast for about $8-$12.

I remember seeing an 'easy-carve' one in a box in Loblaws in Quebec but never Superstore here. It wasn't the rolled thing** but I remember it was the crown and legs. No wings. It was a ridiculous $40 (and 2004 prices!) and not that big.

** Funny thing...the last "rolled" one I had wasn't rolled after all. When I removed the hairnet after cooking, it fell into two breast halves. Butterball 1.5kg size.

Is it the size you're thinking of or you just want breast?

I'm considering a Turducken this year

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 9th 2019 at 12:29 am.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I remember seeing an 'easy-carve' one in a box in Loblaws in Quebec but never Superstore here. It wasn't the rolled thing** but I remember it was the crown and legs. No wings. It was a ridiculous $40 (and 2004 prices!) and not that big.

** Funny thing...the last "rolled" one I had wasn't rolled after all. When I removed the hairnet after cooking, it fell into two breast halves. Butterball 1.5kg size.

Longo’s do a turkey breast kit (ie with some side dishes) for around $55, that is fresh. But you have to order in advance, and the picture looks like a single breast, rather than a crown I think?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought rolled ones twice, the texture is strange on them, not that impressed (yes, butterball) and I really don't want to buy one again this year.

I don't need a big/whole turkey for 2 people - it never gets eaten. Last year I had friends over which made it more feasible, this year I won't have. I used to buy the crown when I lived in the UK, it was the perfect size for me.

I'm limited to how much I can eat and can't have an 'injected with butter' one nor one that has been previously stuffed (my son is highly allergic to certain stuffing ingredients - especially chestnuts). The best turkey I have purchased and cooked in Canada was the PC Free From - Air chilled turkey http://m.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/p...le-turkey.html - absolutely delicious, juicy and tender (hard to track down though).

Oh well, I'm sure something will turn up

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2019 at 3:37 am.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need a big/whole turkey for 2 people - it never gets eaten.
Yes, it was just me and my mum before I deserted her and left for Canada. We'd been having crowns for a while.

My first xmas in Canada was at the in-laws and the entire family was convinced turkey was always dry. They know different now but we compromised with chicken. I "had" to have turkey on my plate too so I bought a single breast to go with the chicken. It worked well enough but wouldn't have made much of a gravy without the chicken present.

Oh well, I'm sure something will turn up
I'd be looking for one of Walmart's small ones, cut off the legs for a slow cooker soup another day, stick the wings in the bottom of the roasting pan to help with the gravy and treat the rest like a crown.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:16 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Question for the Quebeccers- do you get Bissap syrup over there, like they have in France? (its a cordial made from Hibiscus, much like Sorel in the Caribbean).

I've developed a bit of a taste for it...
Old Dec 10th 2019, 5:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Question for the Quebeccers- do you get Bissap syrup over there, like they have in France? (its a cordial made from Hibiscus, much like Sorel in the Caribbean).

I've developed a bit of a taste for it...
https://buycoffeecanada.com/torani-s...3a09552aa64c13
Torani Hibiscus Syrup 750 mL

If you want cordial - there's a few places you can buy online:
https://innovationmtl.com/tag/drink/
http://www.marchedumonde.ca/fr/breuv...scus-zena.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 10th 2019 at 5:33 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Beef Tenderloin $10.88/lb. Expensive but less than the usual $18+. Also came with $15 worth of points so cuts the 'log' price $73 back to $58.
Cut into three pieces. One for a roast dinner, one for steaks and one for making stroganoff, curry, whatever.

Not advertised as an offer was whole chickens @ $1.77/lb. I bought three for about $20. They'd normally be at least $33, so that $13 'saved' makes the tenderloin seem even less costly.

Champagne Cheddar was advertised again. $5.49 for 100g Last time it was advertised on offer it was $80 for half a not particularly big wheel. I left it there. Today, I found two wedges with 50% stickers on so now it's only double the cost of (reduced) cracker barrel and others.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 7:26 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!

https://buycoffeecanada.com/torani-s...3a09552aa64c13
Torani Hibiscus Syrup 750 mL

If you want cordial - there's a few places you can buy online:
https://innovationmtl.com/tag/drink/
Sirop Bissap (Hibiscus) - Zena - Marché du monde
Old Dec 13th 2019, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Not advertised as an offer was whole chickens @ $1.77/lb. I bought three for about $20. They'd normally be at least $33, so that $13 'saved' makes the tenderloin seem even less costly..
whenever I attempt to explain a theory of this sort I am rewarded with a’look’ that is simultaneously patronizing and dubious
Old Dec 14th 2019, 12:49 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

whenever I attempt to explain a theory of this sort I am rewarded with a’look’ that is simultaneously patronizing and dubious

Do they understand that if you find $20 and then lose $10 that you are still $10 up?
Old Dec 14th 2019, 2:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at whole chickens on the super store website, they have 2.

One is PC Free From Air Chilled 1.98 per pound
The other is PC Grain Fed and is 2.78 per pound

The label on the cheaper one also says grain fed. Wonder what makes the other more expensive....

No Frills has duck on sale for $2/lb here currently.

Beef Tenderloin $10.88/lb. Expensive but less than the usual $18+. Also came with $15 worth of points so cuts the 'log' price $73 back to $58.
Cut into three pieces. One for a roast dinner, one for steaks and one for making stroganoff, curry, whatever.

Not advertised as an offer was whole chickens @ $1.77/lb. I bought three for about $20. They'd normally be at least $33, so that $13 'saved' makes the tenderloin seem even less costly.

Champagne Cheddar was advertised again. $5.49 for 100g Last time it was advertised on offer it was $80 for half a not particularly big wheel. I left it there. Today, I found two wedges with 50% stickers on so now it's only double the cost of (reduced) cracker barrel and others.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 7:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Independent has whole chickens for $2/lb so I got a nice plump one for $7, but my neighbour just came over and gave me a nice pair of walleye fillets from this morning's catch so that bird will have to wait for tomorrow!
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 8:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Independent has whole chickens for $2/lb so I got a nice plump one for $7, but my neighbour just came over and gave me a nice pair of walleye fillets from this morning's catch so that bird will have to wait for tomorrow!
Are there fishing possibilities near to you?

Ah! I think there are. It is a freshwater fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.