Groceries

Old Dec 6th 2019, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Looks like food prices are expected to rise a nice chunk in 2020.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6258632/b...1gx9OuULLFw6wM
Old Dec 6th 2019, 4:54 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Beetroot is red and delicious. Beets (sugar beets) are pale and not edible as food.
Yeah, sugar beets are for when you can't afford/ get enough sugar cane, right?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Abbreviating beetroot to 'beets' is perhaps just N.American laziness when it comes to language...
So not just the brits then... especially as the aussies took the pickled beetroot, ran with it and ended up with these beauties:

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's not a proper Aussie burger unless it has beetroot

Old Dec 6th 2019, 4:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Healthy options to go up the most- so we should be safe then, lol

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like food prices are expected to rise a nice chunk in 2020.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6258632/b...1gx9OuULLFw6wM
Old Dec 6th 2019, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Does seem to happen, healthy stuff is always more expensive, veggies and fruits are getting so pricey they are becoming relative treats and not staples.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Healthy options to go up the most- so we should be safe then, lol
Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Does seem to happen, healthy stuff is always more expensive, veggies and fruits are getting so pricey they are becoming relative treats and not staples.
That's especially true when they're out of season. Tomatoes for example, often $1/lb in summer go to $2.47 in winter, and the quality often goes down. Not paying extra for woody tomatoes. When this happens I would rather use canned diced tomatoes I've stocked up on for $1/can for making chili, spaghetti sauce, etc, even saganaki. When the fresh ones are nice and on sale I'll get some because you can't make a bacon and tomato sandwich with canned tomatoes. The cucumbers that were $1 or .88 are also $2.47 now and they look terrible. I did just buy a lovely cabbage for .77/lb, or about $2.50 and that's as healthy as it comes.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Winter is certainly more difficult in finding produce and fruit at affordable prices. Food seems to be increasing at a greater rate than our income at least so we are getting less and less each year.

Those who rely on food banks may not even have healthy options, food banks don't always have the healthiest of foods depending on location, some food banks are better than others of course, but in some places healthiest item might be bread, when I was in Abbotsford the food bag was very heavy on day old pastries from various fast food places, very little if any vegetables and fruits, only meat was usually tuna or spam and always powdered milk but I had no use for that.

Originally Posted by caretaker
That's especially true when they're out of season. Tomatoes for example, often $1/lb in summer go to $2.47 in winter, and the quality often goes down. Not paying extra for woody tomatoes. When this happens I would rather use canned diced tomatoes I've stocked up on for $1/can for making chili, spaghetti sauce, etc, even saganaki. When the fresh ones are nice and on sale I'll get some because you can't make a bacon and tomato sandwich with canned tomatoes. The cucumbers that were $1 or .88 are also $2.47 now and they look terrible. I did just buy a lovely cabbage for .77/lb, or about $2.50 and that's as healthy as it comes.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 11:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Winter is certainly more difficult in finding produce and fruit at affordable prices. Food seems to be increasing at a greater rate than our income at least so we are getting less and less each year.

Those who rely on food banks may not even have healthy options, food banks don't always have the healthiest of foods depending on location, some food banks are better than others of course, but in some places healthiest item might be bread, when I was in Abbotsford the food bag was very heavy on day old pastries from various fast food places, very little if any vegetables and fruits, only meat was usually tuna or spam and always powdered milk but I had no use for that.
I've been volunteering at Foodbanks for years. The thing about fresh food is lack of refrigerated storage at collection/donation points. That's why people are asked to only donate non-perishable food. We do ask people to donate canned vegetables and fruit though.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 6:54 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I've been buying frozen veg recently, for things like soups and veggie curries. It's fantastic value and really good quality. Peas, green beans, squash... easily as good as fresh produce, and the prep work is done for you too.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I've been buying frozen veg recently, for things like soups and veggie curries. It's fantastic value and really good quality. Peas, green beans, squash... easily as good as fresh produce, and the prep work is done for you too.
That is how I buy broccoli cheaper, a big bag runs around $8 for a 1.75kg bag, used to be 2kg but the bag has been reduced in size but that is norm these days, everything is shrinking in size it seems, but lasts about a week for 2 of us, sometimes less. Corn is better value frozen, Frozen asparagus is usually cheaper vs fresh but not all stores carry it.

I've seen some articles that say frozen has more nutrients since they are frozen as their peak.

Frozen peaches is a cheaper way to get peaches as well as berries, far cheaper vs fresh.

Old Dec 7th 2019, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That is how I buy broccoli cheaper, a big bag runs around $8 for a 1.75kg bag, used to be 2kg but the bag has been reduced in size but that is norm these days, everything is shrinking in size it seems, but lasts about a week for 2 of us, sometimes less. Corn is better value frozen, Frozen asparagus is usually cheaper vs fresh but not all stores carry it.

I've seen some articles that say frozen has more nutrients since they are frozen as their peak.

Frozen peaches is a cheaper way to get peaches as well as berries, far cheaper vs fresh.
Frozen and tinned veg and fruit are supposed to be much better than fresh, as they are frozen/tinned within hours of picking.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 11:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Frozen and tinned veg and fruit are supposed to be much better than fresh, as they are frozen/tinned within hours of picking.

Tinned peas and tinned corn are my favourites. And bottled peaches
Old Dec 7th 2019, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Tinned peas and tinned corn are my favourites. And bottled peaches
Hubby loves Bachelors Mushy Peas, had a couple of dozen delivered last week. Tinned marrowfat processed peas and mandarin oranges are my favourite.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 6:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby loves Bachelors Mushy Peas, had a couple of dozen delivered last week. Tinned marrowfat processed peas and mandarin oranges are my favourite.
Walmart sell them (sometimes only available in store though)
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/batchel.../6000188767273
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/mandarin-oranges

and Metro (Walmart are cheaper) https://www.metro.ca/en/online-groce.../5000232901422

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 7th 2019 at 6:24 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I got them from Walmart.ca.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 7:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I got them from Walmart.ca.

Is their delivery service any good? I've been thinking about doing it... Metro also offer home delivery now, I have yet to use that one either. I have used Grocery Gateway and have found them to be excellent.

Hi ho hi ho - it's off to get groceries I go...

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a Turkey crown (i.e. the double breast only) - I've had the 'cook-from- frozen rolled roast' but it's really not the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.