British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

dave_j Apr 20th 2020 4:53 am

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12841154)
So maybe there was something in it after all and perhaps not just greed and exploitation eh Dave_J? :whistle:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

OrangeMango Apr 20th 2020 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12840809)
Looking like large events wont be allowed to take place this summer in BC, festivals, weddings, fairs and such.

Expect September or October at the earliest, most likely November.

The next large gathering will most likely be the remembrance day ceremonies.

Paul_Shepherd Apr 20th 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12841115)
It's not often that I get "British "..
I left a long time ago, and my heart is not there....BUT I I thInk her majesty has done a fantastic job and I take my hat off and put my face mask on to the woman. Well done...where would we be without her...

Whole heartedly agree!! 100% Im glad there are others who still think that. I thought the speech she gave was apolitical, but very sincere and encouraging at the same time. Not polluted by politics, but driven by duty, she does it like no other. Very British indeed.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12841234)
One swallow doesn't make a summer.

How about the ten over just the last three days?

Or
Supply-line disruptions could cause Canadian drug shortage

Canadians should brace for drug shortages as COVID-19 disrupts global supply lines, the federal health ministry’s top public servant says.

A lack of medications to fill ordinary prescriptions is an ongoing issue in Canada, but deputy health minister Stephen Lucas says COVID-19 is worsening the problem.

caretaker Apr 20th 2020 12:57 pm

I'll find out if my meds are in short supply in a few hours. Just 2 BP pills and 1 for cholesterol, very common. A month ago it was delivery only from my neighbourhood pharmacy, likely still the case.

Siouxie Apr 20th 2020 3:36 pm

I wish I had trusted my instincts 4 weeks ago and got my usual 3 months supply of meds, but I didn't. They have difficulty getting one of mine at the best of times.. this doesn't bode well. Thankfully it's not life threatening if I can't get them. I'll find out in the next few days I suppose.

dave_j Apr 20th 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12841367)

One problem with announcing that there may be shortages of anything, or changing restricting movement is that you'll almost guarantee that there will be because you're inciting the weak minded to rush out and buy more than they need... just in case. It's that well known bog roll syndrome.
I quote from the link above.
"There was a huge rush in March as people tried to secure their medications as physical distancing measures were put in place, with some people requesting six-month supplies, he said.
Over-the-counter drugs like acetaminophen, or Tylenol, have been in short supply for the same season.
Wholesalers began to warn the demand was not sustainable, especially considering the pressure on the supply chains.
Certain medical devices, like thermometers, are also in short supply due to global demand.
Pharmacists decided to take measures after watching the toilet-paper fiasco unroll, Power said, and the pharmacists’ group has recommended limiting patients to a one-month supply of their medications to try to prevent shortages.
"
My original gripe was with the pharmacists who, anticipating shortages, had decided to impose restrictions on supply BUT retained the full dispensing cost per transaction. This has the effect of boosting their income and impoverishing those who may be least able to afford it. Had they decided to reduce the costs proportionately, their income would have remained the same.
One argument put forward in their defense was that they had done the work and should get paid for it. I'm all in favour of the principle that the workman is worthy of his hire but in this instance it's simply wrong.
Imagine that you need a plumber whose callout charge is $x. He turns up, states he's forgotten his tools and needs to go get them. He then finds he needs a part and goes get that. On the bill you see he's charged you $3x for callout. You pay up because you have to, but it's wrong.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2020 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12841589)
One problem with announcing that there may be shortages of anything, or changing restricting movement is that you'll almost guarantee that there will be because you're inciting the weak minded to rush out and buy more than they need... just in case. It's that well known bog roll syndrome..

Hmmm...do you think that just maybe that was why they restricted the refills to 30 days instead of 90? You know, so that people couldn't go out and get more?

Possibly knowing something about drugs supplies maybe?

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 20th 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12841642)
Hmmm...do you think that just maybe that was why they restricted the refills to 30 days instead of 90? You know, so that people couldn't go out and get more?

The run in medications in March is what led to the 30 day supply thing being done, the supply line couldn't handle the demand.

dave_j Apr 20th 2020 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12841642)

So, examine what apparently took place.
In March, it seems, there was a run on pharmaceuticals by a proportion of the population, and it appears that pharmacists dispensed more than normal on request.
Pharmacists appear to have woken up later when they realised their stocks had shrunk. Now those who'd stocked and overstocked wouldn't be coming back for a while so any remaining and replacement stocks would then supply those of us who didn't panic.
So to recover from their overdispensing, pharmacists decided to protect their remaining stocks by restricting the dispensing period to 30 days and to fully charge dispensing fees for each additional transaction, something that didn't need to be done.
What this means in practice is that a mistake by pharmacists in overdispensing reduced normal inventory and the rest of us have to pay for it, and they've cooked up this dispensing charge scam on the back of their original mistake to put the icing on the cake.
Nice work if you can get it.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 21st 2020 5:39 pm

Air Canada is suspending all US service for at least 4 weeks, they had previously kept service to 11 destinations but with the extension of the non-essential border restrictions they have decided to suspend the remaining service.

BristolUK Apr 21st 2020 6:52 pm

The Fabriani Bros. = Steve Porcaro & David Kamp + friends, in homage to Messrs. Fagen and Becker. Don’t be like the Covid Kid: Stay home, stay safe

dave_j Apr 21st 2020 9:46 pm

I've no doubt that this is old news to most but it came as new news to me.
For those of us who follow the daily C19 deaths on Worldometers https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ I'd become increasingly concerned that the old country was rapidly going down the virus plughole with stubbornly high death rates in hospitals not getting lower.
But... apparently not so... https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52361519 informs me that daily data reported on the Worldometer website for the UK concerning C19 deaths contains data, not for the previous 24 hours, but for deaths spread over a substantial period and only announced during the previous 24 hours.
Things not so bad as I thought.

Danny B Apr 21st 2020 10:19 pm

Reading this article reminds me to shut the hell up and not complain when I have to wait 30 minutes in line outside Costco to buy food. We are so lucky.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52373888

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 22nd 2020 12:16 am

Chicken processing plant in Vancouver has an outbreak. 27 cases confirmed there but could be more as some employees were out sick.

The unacceptable thing though was the employee was going to work while showing symptoms and when health officials went to visit the plant, there were even more employees working while showing symptoms, 71 employees with 27 confirmed ill.

"Upon interviewing the infected person, Daly said her team found out the staff member had worked in the processing plant while symptomatic, prompting a public health team to be sent to the plant Monday. "

"On arrival, Daly said the team noted that several other workers had symptoms, so they decided to test all 71 staff members present. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lant-1.5540373

This folks is why we cannot trust people to do the right thing, why these workers were even at work while ill should result in fines for both employees and employer.