British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Mallory Apr 22nd 2020 8:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12842627)
I couldn't believe when I saw that on the news last night! all these people protesting about rights and freedoms.....protesting about what?? Not getting or passing the virus around? have they listened to themselves?? The US is the worst hit country in the world, with no sign of it slowing and they want to re-open half of it! God help that country!!

The US is not the worst hit country in the world. The worst hit are Spain, Italy, France and UK. The population of US is about the same as Europe as a whole. Count up all the deaths in Europe, and then compare to the US. There is no comparison.

Siouxie Apr 22nd 2020 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12842649)
For those absolute idiots who want things re-opened now, I really do hope they get covid and have the full experience of it, just so they can possibly understand why the lockdowns and other things were in place, and why, when there is another lockdown due to the massive resurgence of the virus because of the removal of the lockdown, that it was put in place. I do feel for those, who I hope are in the majority, are ok with the lockdown (if not ok, at least understand the reason why it is happening). This isn't some worldwide collusion of governments to do something controlling to their populations, this is a very, very real pandemic, it's not a hoax. Again, if you believe that, go visit an ICU with corona patients and get infected and enjoy yourself.

It's somewhat the same with the people who are visiting friends and families, are they just that self-absorbed, or are they really that foolish to thing it's all fine and they don't need to obey the stay at home rules?

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but perhaps some Darwinism might come into play and rid us of these foolish people.

:goodpost:

Jerseygirl Apr 22nd 2020 8:27 pm

Ontario continues to be on lockdown until at least Victoria Day, 18th May.

Piff Poff Apr 22nd 2020 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12842744)
very sorry to read about your grandad. My condolences to you and your family.

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12842739)
Oh PP I am so sorry, what a horrible situation this is. I didn’t have a great start in life, and wasn’t close to my parents, but having had a child that has rocked my world has made me cherish every single day, my family is everything. I am thinking of you.

Thank you both.

Siouxie Apr 22nd 2020 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12842602)
My Grandad lost his battle against Covid 19 night before last. My Uncle was able to be with him for the last hours. My Uncle has now gone home to his spare room to isolate from his wife and daughter as he is now considered to be a risk. I Can't imagine not having the support of your nearest and dearest when you lose a parent.

Grandad had been taken in to hospital with suspected pneumonia, tested negative for Corona and then subsequently sent home a couple of days later. He was then re admitted and re tested to show positive. Can't help but think we would still have him had he not gone to hospital the 1st time. He had a good run, 94 years old.

I don't understand how this disease is so rampant in some places but in Red Deer we are down to one active case out of a total of 34 cases all together. From what I see out and about, people are not really social distancing so I would have expected to see numbers in the 100s. I'm back to work on Friday.

So very sorry to hear of the sad news Piff... my sincere condolences to you and your family... {{{{hugs}}}}

I suspect a lot of the tests are giving false Negative results.. (that's being reported online too) so that may be why there are so few active cases.. "Health care experts believe one-third of patients with the novel coronavirus and who are tested for it receive negative test results—meaning some people who are infected could be spreading the virus unknowingly."

magnumpi Apr 22nd 2020 9:19 pm

Oh my That’s so sad Piff

Some strains of this virus differ to other strains. I have had a cough since we came back from England March 3, it’s only just got better this week, still coughing but not as often.

i thought about getting tested, but thought maybe that would be a 100% perfect way to make sure I contracted it for sure !

instead I kept coughing up the liquid that kept settling on my lungs every 15 mins, daily, for weeks now. I thought it was an ACE cough, but... My wife also got the same. We thought no fever, keep positive

we both feel better now, not 100% but definitely better. I called my Cardio guy as he is only doing telephone 📞 appointments now. He said we did right thing, but advised when it’s over get a blood test. That would show if we had it and now have anti bodies

Scary times people

bats Apr 22nd 2020 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12842773)
Oh my That’s so sad Piff

Some strains of this virus differ to other strains. I have had a cough since we came back from England March 3, it’s only just got better this week, still coughing but not as often.

i thought about getting tested, but thought maybe that would be a 100% perfect way to make sure I contracted it for sure !

instead I kept coughing up the liquid that kept settling on my lungs every 15 mins, daily, for weeks now. I thought it was an ACE cough, but... My wife also got the same. We thought no fever, keep positive

we both feel better now, not 100% but definitely better. I called my Cardio guy as he is only doing telephone 📞 appointments now. He said we did right thing, but advised when it’s over get a blood test. That would show if we had it and now have anti bodies

Scary times people

a friend and his family have tested positive not one if the 5 has had a fever.

BristolUK Apr 23rd 2020 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12842602)
I don't understand how this disease is so rampant in some places but in Red Deer we are down to one active case out of a total of 34 cases all together. From what I see out and about, people are not really social distancing so I would have expected to see numbers in the 100s. I'm back to work on Friday.

It is odd isn't it. I've been keeping my eye on NB figures as a whole but aware that although we're the biggest city, Fredericton has twice as many and Saint John has more too.

Greater Moncton is 144,000 but we have 23 cases. In the province, 90% of the 118 positives have recovered and of the 7 admitted to ICU, only one remains. No deaths.

No new cases in the province for the last 4 days, one case before that and 2 zero days before that. State of emergency was declared early, borders to other provinces closed etc. We have a high number of seniors in the province.

I look at the city webcams and Main St is deserted.

Danny B Apr 23rd 2020 12:36 am

Listen to what he says at the 40:00 min mark, the rest of the year looks like a write off in the UK.

magnumpi Apr 23rd 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12842805)
a friend and his family have tested positive not one if the 5 has had a fever.

Hmm maybe my doctor has a point then

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 23rd 2020 7:54 am

Might be an indicator when BC might start moving towards a bit of normalcy.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/zero-new-cases...ions-1.4908122

Danny B Apr 23rd 2020 2:21 pm

Paul_Shepherd Apr 23rd 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12842751)
The US is not the worst hit country in the world. The worst hit are Spain, Italy, France and UK. The population of US is about the same as Europe as a whole. Count up all the deaths in Europe, and then compare to the US. There is no comparison.

Not if you take into account the rate the cases and deaths are rising in the US, the Spain France and Italy and UK are all leveling off now. The US has no remote sign of doing that, and is still shooting through the roof and I think will continue to do so.

Jerseygirl Apr 23rd 2020 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12843129)
Not if you take into account the rate the cases and deaths are rising in the US, the Spain France and Italy and UK are all leveling off now. The US has no remote sign of doing that, and is still shooting through the roof and I think will continue to do so.

all figures should be shown as a percentage of the population. It’s ridiculous to say the US is worse than smaller countries whose population is a fraction of the US. I would also like to see the same figures, less an approx figure of normal deaths for March/April etc.

Pulaski Apr 23rd 2020 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12843129)

I am not sure what you mean by "leveling off", and I don't think you do either. :unsure:

The US has been adding a steady 25,000 /day new infections since the start of April, and the UK and Europe, if you add up all the countries, is still adding about that many every day too - with Spain, Italy. France, and Germany adding 2,000-2,500/day each and the UK adding 4,000, so those five countries alone are adding around 12,000-14,000/day - and then there are another 20+ countries to account for, so the aggregate of new cases per day in the UK and Europe is at least in the same ball-park as the US.

FWIW The US has also had significantly less than half the aggregate deaths reported in the UK and Europe.