British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

dave_j Apr 19th 2020 1:43 am

Re: Coronavirus

When I accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer, I learn pretty quick to take more care next time and to wear thick gloves in future.. just in case.
Incidentally I learn that hard objects survive where soft objects don't, it's all a learning experience.
This pandemic is a learning experience, or it should be, the question is whether it'll be understod as such.
Very few will remember what life was like in the era before anti-biotics but if you examine the site freebmd.com and search for deaths for any name you'll understand how fragile life was at a time when living conditions were poor and medical defences were less developed than they are today.
Today we think we're fairly secure but this pandemic has demonstrated that we need to watch out and prepare for the future. As a species we've become a little too conceited.
This death toll has taught us that it's been the little things that matter.
It's the provision, not for aircraft carriers, fighters, nuclear weapons or the need to invade countries we don't like, it's the preparation for hospitals, for beds, for gowns, for masks, for the simple things like gloves that can be used to keep the species alive.
This virus isn't dead it's waiting and there are anti-biotic resistant bacteria out there. It's not rocket science, the lessons are here today for those with minds open enough to learn from them.
I really hope that in the future, funds will be found even at the cost of a few fighter jets, to adequately prepare for an attack from the next virus to target the human species.
We'll be bailing out the airlines, banks in fact anyone lobbying hard enough for cash; let's hope we'll not forget the Civil Defence Against Pandemics and Preservation of Human Life as well.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 19th 2020 2:04 am

Looking like large events wont be allowed to take place this summer in BC, festivals, weddings, fairs and such.

Rete Apr 19th 2020 2:28 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12840582)
:) A nice story of misfortune becoming good fortune.

Except for those seniors that had doctor's appointments, needed groceries, medication or daycare workers.

BEVS Apr 19th 2020 5:13 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12840576)
I went to Can Tire this morning to pick up a 20 pack of disposable masks for my co-worker (she's high risk and isn't supposed to go out) and ran into an old friend at the check-out. These days he is maintenance man in an 84 unit senior's complex. I asked how they were doing, and he said great! Two weeks before all this started, the elevator motor burned out in the building, and it took 2 weeks for Otis to come in, replace the motor and upgrade all the cables and test it, etc, during which time hardly anyone left or entered the building, so there was minimal opportunity for infection.

That's lovely to read for those folks. Silver linings and all that. Sounds like they are doing just great & I bet the most of them are greatly relieved all round. .

caretaker Apr 19th 2020 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12840814)
Except for those seniors that had doctor's appointments, needed groceries, medication or daycare workers.

So they all died of their ills, went hungry, and were totally neglected because the only way to get in and out was via stairs. You never hear about these horrible things because the news is focused on nursing homes and hospitals where people are dying in droves because they were out and about before the lockdown.

spouse of scouse Apr 19th 2020 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12840814)

Yes, obviously. I was referring to caretaker's friend.

BEVS Apr 19th 2020 6:10 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12840842)
Yes, obviously. I was referring to caretaker's friend.

I wasn't. :confused:
I am sure these people are all well cared for and their needs looked after. Otherwise Caretaker's pal would have reported otherwise & they would be expiring all over the place as I type.

caretaker Apr 19th 2020 8:45 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12840847)
I am sure these people are all well cared for and their needs looked after. Otherwise Caretaker's pal would have reported otherwise & they would be expiring all over the place as I type.

I'd call it a lucky coincidence. Because residents in these places are healthy enough to have their own apartments they probably wouldn't be karking it like level 3 and 4 patients in a nursing home, but would all still be high risk due to age. Even though there would have been traffic in the form of relatives bringing in groceries and visiting and some people going out anyway, the broken elevator keeping those with mobility issues at home may have saved them. Anyway, that's what he said, they're great, he's great, his wife is great, his idiot brother moved back home to NS, and we spent 10 minutes in the parking lot catching up shouting at each other from 2 meters apart.

spouse of scouse Apr 19th 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12840847)

I no longer know or care who was talking about whom, I just made a comment to Caretaker and it just snowballed :lol:

Danny B Apr 19th 2020 2:44 pm

Another month and we will know if Sweden got it right.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-within-weeks/

MillieF Apr 19th 2020 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12840675)
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she doesn't have a lot to say.
https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN2200EZ

It's not often that I get "British "..
I left a long time ago, and my heart is not there....BUT I I thInk her majesty has done a fantastic job and I take my hat off and put my face mask on to the woman. Well done...where would we be without her...

caretaker Apr 19th 2020 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12841115)
It's not often that I get "British "..
I left a long time ago, and my heart is not there....BUT I I thInk her majesty has done a fantastic job and I take my hat off and put my face mask on to the woman. Well done...where would we be without her...

I'm not British but I love the queen, +1.

dave_j Apr 19th 2020 11:44 pm

I see that there are protests in the US against stay at home policies and well publicised they are.
But it's a little one sided when those who disagree with the protests are staying at home as their state officials request, unable to get their voices heard.
What you don't see referenced in the press are numbers like..
1k protesting, 10M staying at home.

scrubbedexpat134 Apr 19th 2020 11:48 pm

Went to Rexall pharmacy to get a refill on my Ventolin puffers, was told they didnt have any and would be 3-4 weeks. I have 5 weeks supply left. I take one puff Ventolin, 3 puffs of Atrovent four times a day. Luckilly i have a good stock of the atrovent so should be ok. Is anyone else having problems getting their medications.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 12841148)
Went to Rexall pharmacy to get a refill on my Ventolin puffers, was told they didnt have any and would be 3-4 weeks. I have 5 weeks supply left. I take one puff Ventolin, 3 puffs of Atrovent four times a day. Luckilly i have a good stock of the atrovent so should be ok. Is anyone else having problems getting their medications.

Not so far but we were warned about potential shortages and refills were limited to one month instead of three to try to avoid problems.

So maybe there was something in it after all and perhaps not just greed and exploitation eh Dave_J? :whistle: