British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Pulaski Jul 16th 2020 4:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12882704)
What do you mean by spreading through the community? AFAIK there were 21 new cases reported throughout the entire province of BC yesterday.

How many were there last February? :sneaky:

It only take one superspreader to create a hot spot, and anyone who takes comfort from a "low" infection rate is failing to recognize how close how quickly a hotpsot could flare up again.

Danny B Jul 16th 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12882709)
How many were there last February? :sneaky:

I'm not sure what you mean?

We are currently in phase 3 , it's the middle of Summer, people are out and about, and we have a population of 5m people. So long as we continue to have less than 30 new cases per day, I'd say we are in a very good place.

Pulaski Jul 16th 2020 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12882718)
I'm not sure what you mean?

We are currently in phase 3 , it's the middle of Summer, people are out and about, and we have a population of 5m people. So long as we continue to have less than 30 new cases per day, I'd say we are in a very good place.

There probably weren't any in BC last February, or very very few, but you now think that "only" 21 in a single day isn't nothing to be concerned about. :confused:

You are not "in a very good place". Now is the time to take easy-to-do stuff, like mask wearing, and social distancing very seriously, so BC doesn't become the next Arizona. ..... "Arizona?" I hear you ask? "Isn't Florida the problem?" .... No, the per capita records are being set by Arizona.

Danny B Jul 16th 2020 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12882722)
There probably weren't any in BC last February, or very very few, but you now think that "only" 21 in a single day isn't nothing to be concerned about. :confused:

You are not "in a very good place". Now is the time to take easy-to-do stuff, like mask wearing, and social distancing very seriously, so BC doesn't become the next Arizona. ..... "Arizona?" I hear you ask? "Isn't Florida the problem?" .... No, the per capita records are being set ny Arizona.

I can't help the way I feel about risk. I'm one of those people who has never had a flu jab. I'm not concerned, life must go on. I social distance every time I leave the house and I will wear a mask when I'm told to or if I'm going to be indoors with lots of other people.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 16th 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12882704)
What do you mean by spreading through the community? AFAIK there were 21 new cases reported throughout the entire province of BC yesterday.

Dr. Henry and Adrian Dix made a comment they are concerned about comminity spread, cases are still low but sounds like the new cases are coming from community spread which is how it can go from low to high pretty quickly.

"We are concerned about the increase in new cases in recent days, as COVID-19 continues to silently circulate in our communities," they said in their statement. "While early on, many of our long-term care and assisted living facilities were impacted, most of the new cases are in the broader community."

That is from their statement yesterday.

Danny B Jul 16th 2020 6:01 pm

Not that anyone is going to read through the entire 26 pages regarding 'before and after first wave measures in BC', but it does recognize that BC is amongst the lowest case and death rates in Canada.

Look at the conclusion on page 2

Shard Jul 16th 2020 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12882688)
Isolation from most of Canada and limited travel does wonders.

At this point I think bars should be closed completely, and restaurants, coffee shops etc drive through or take out only. Seems silly to have people sitting and congregating inside restaurants and as many US states now show, reopening can cause issues very quickly.

I just hope we can maintain what we have in BC, but it seems to be spreading through the community again.

It's not a big ask is it. Even take out can be drastically reduced. Can't people make coffee at home or the office anymore ?

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 16th 2020 10:52 pm

27 cases now linked to community exposure events in Kelowna. 4 cases at Krazy Cherry Fruit Co.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...6-bc-1.5652640

printer Jul 17th 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12882722)

You are not "in a very good place". Now is the time to take easy-to-do stuff, like mask wearing, and social distancing very seriously, so BC doesn't become the next Arizona. ..... "Arizona?" I hear you ask? "Isn't Florida the problem?" .... No, the per capita records are being set by Arizona.

I think though we have all been conditioned by governments and the press into hearing these daily figures now so of course 21 is way better than 200 or more but since when have we ever been privy to daily briefings about death tolls? I mean how many people die every day of preventable diseases? Heart disease, lung cancer are generally preventable diseases if we adjusted our lifestyle but as a rule we accept the fact that "x" number of people die every year from obesity, smoking, suicide, alcoholism and drug overdoses to name the most common.
Maybe we should be listing these numbers in headline news every day to jump start some kind of healthy living for the masses and at the same time save the burden on the worlds health system

caretaker Jul 17th 2020 1:21 am

And apparently more of us old people are dying of covid-19 now because we survived the other things that were trying to kill us (and were saved by wonderful medicine but often left weakened), and so our very existence is skewing the statistics.
"Because people are living longer with chronic disease like heart conditions and stroke, we need to take actions, and we need them to take care of their health in order to avoid the poor outcome from COVID-19."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...roke-1.5652003

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 17th 2020 3:12 am

Vancouver Coastal Health website shows an outbreak at St. Pauls Hospital NICU.

bc2015 Jul 17th 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12882688)
At this point I think bars should be closed completely, and restaurants, coffee shops etc drive through or take out only. Seems silly to have people sitting and congregating inside restaurants and as many US states now show, reopening can cause issues very quickly.

Well the other way to look at it is that restaurants etc.. have been open for dine in since May 18th and there hasn't been a huge jump in cases. The restaurants I've been in (mostly picking up takeout) have been pretty busy but they seem serious about making sure there's no groups larger than 6, groups are physically distanced, ensuring that staff wear masks and taking other precautions too. I think it's right there is concern and people should continue to take precautions but at the same time it would be a kneejerk reaction to go all the way back to phase 1 at this point.

Danny B Jul 17th 2020 3:36 pm

Finally some feel good news re: the virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...herts-53442746

Paul_Shepherd Jul 17th 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12883127)

Fantastic. That certainly is feel good.... :thumbup:

Nand Jul 17th 2020 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12883127)

The Queen looks lovely as usual. What beautiful colour.