British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Paul_Shepherd Apr 15th 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12839013)
According to this the scientists appear to have been slow to sound the alarm. It is probable that Johnson was also reluctant to impose the lock down, initially wishing to to
encourage rather than impose behavior in the first instance. Whether Sweden has taken the right approach for them will no doubt be seen over the next couple of months. I read there were 19 patients at the Nightingale hospital in London over the weekend so for the time being at least the treatment capacity seems to be more than adequate. I didn't vote for Johnson but I doubt the other candidate would have done any better in this situation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21P1VF

That article could well have some truth to it, and as you combined with Johnson prefering to encourage behaviour like we have here in Canada now.....that said its become clear that in situations like this in a culture like in Britain, the government must act for the people.

Paul_Shepherd Apr 15th 2020 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12839062)
SIGH. Keep politics out of this thread please - if you want to discuss politics of Covid-19 take it to a separate one. Thank you... I won't ask again..... I'll just take action.

Sorry if that was me, I was just answering replies, I didn't see your post.

Maybe move these last few replies to another thread?

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 15th 2020 5:53 pm

CERB requirements are being relaxed, part-time, season, and contract workers and others who previously were not eligible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cer...deau-1.5532767

Almost Canadian Apr 15th 2020 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12839022)
Interesting. How would you say the Canadian provincial leaders have done compared to the federal?

I have been watching the figures every day. The percentage of deaths to those confirmed to have it is very comparable to those around the world (including the US) so, while I accept that Canadians love to pat themselves in the back as to how well they have done, I believe that time will tell whether their view has merit.

If the plan was to ensure that the maximum number of people are infected, while ensuring that the healthcare system is not overwhelmed, it appears to me that there is massive capacity in the healthcare system so, perhaps, the restrictions are too severe at this time.

No one has been able to explain to me how we will avoid a spike when people return to their normal routines and how to ensure that the maximum can be exposed on a gradual basis. We are, approximately, one month from any talk of restrictions and, within that very short period of time, the economy has tanked. Within the next month or two, I suspect that co-operation with the electorate will start to wane unless a sensible plan can be put forward. Saying, "we will depend upon the evidence..." is fine for those that are being paid in full but is unlikely to be sufficient for those that have lost most of their income and see no way out. What is the evidence? How well is the healthcare actually coping? How much extra capacity does it have and what is the plan to maximise that capacity?

jimf Apr 15th 2020 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12839136)
I have been watching the figures every day. The percentage of deaths to those confirmed to have it is very comparable to those around the world (including the US) so, while I accept that Canadians love to pat themselves in the back as to how well they have done, I believe that time will tell whether their view has merit.

If the plan was to ensure that the maximum number of people are infected, while ensuring that the healthcare system is not overwhelmed, it appears to me that there is massive capacity in the healthcare system so, perhaps, the restrictions are too severe at this time.

No one has been able to explain to me how we will avoid a spike when people return to their normal routines and how to ensure that the maximum can be exposed on a gradual basis. We are, approximately, one month from any talk of restrictions and, within that very short period of time, the economy has tanked. Within the next month or two, I suspect that co-operation with the electorate will start to wane unless a sensible plan can be put forward. Saying, "we will depend upon the evidence..." is fine for those that are being paid in full but is unlikely to be sufficient for those that have lost most of their income and see no way out. What is the evidence? How well is the healthcare actually coping? How much extra capacity does it have and what is the plan to maximise that capacity?

I would agree with that. The CBC and Canadian government coverage does seem to be loaded with a large dose of perceived Canadian exceptionalism and comparison with problems south of the border. From the article below it does seem that the chief medical health officer has been supporting a government political position. It is interesting that countries that previously suffered due to Chinese practices during SARS1 have been very proactive in dealing with SARS2 (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore), Canada seems to be the exception among this group though.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/wher...t-good-enough/

As you say the issue will be managing the process out of lockdown and keeping the majority on board.

Danny B Apr 16th 2020 3:30 am

And so it begins...Merica baby.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ranny-11973905

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 16th 2020 4:54 am

Well doesn't look like we will be returning normal anytime soon in BC, at least 2 or 3 weeks before they consider relaxing things but wont do it all at once.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...says-1.5533944

Siouxie Apr 16th 2020 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12839103)
CERB requirements are being relaxed, part-time, season, and contract workers and others who previously were not eligible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cer...deau-1.5532767

Good news indeed.. people at work are increasing their availability, resulting in fewer hours for me... it will be interesting to see if I could qualify.
Thanks for posting it!

I was reading on a business blog that CERB claimants have to 'sign on' every 4 weeks to continue to receive it... I wonder if this is correct or urban myth..

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 16th 2020 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12839289)
Good news indeed.. people at work are increasing their availability, resulting in fewer hours for me... it will be interesting to see if I could qualify.
Thanks for posting it!

I was reading on a business blog that CERB claimants have to 'sign on' every 4 weeks to continue to receive it... I wonder if this is correct or urban myth..

I think you do, but not 100% sure but the way its worded on CRA website sounds like you may anyhow.

If only I had actually been able to start working, but I still didn't make 5,000 last year only made 4,753 in 2019, but I never started the job this year anyhow, so still don't qualify.

Paul_Shepherd Apr 16th 2020 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12839267)

Why would you take a gun to a protest, to protest against something that is for the good of the people. Yanks and their guns! :rolleyes:

dbd33 Apr 16th 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12839395)
Why would you take a gun to a protest, to protest against something that is for the good of the people. Yanks and their guns! :rolleyes:

Isn't that protest a political event, verboten here?

BristolUK Apr 16th 2020 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12839289)

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12839298)
I think you do, but not 100% sure but the way its worded on CRA website sounds like you may anyhow.

SD did hers yesterday and says she has to do it again in four weeks. Sounds a little bit like the old 'postal signing' procedure on the UK dole. :unsure:

Siouxie Apr 16th 2020 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12839298)

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12839504)
SD did hers yesterday and says she has to do it again in four weeks. Sounds a little bit like the old 'postal signing' procedure on the UK dole. :unsure:

Thanks for the info, both - appreciated! My son got laid off from his job - he signed up for EI but got awarded CERB and wasn't sure .. I'll pass that one. :D

Danny B Apr 16th 2020 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12839395)

I hope this is a parody account :lol:

caretaker Apr 16th 2020 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12839615)
I hope this is a parody account :lol:

He's a comedian; I'm listening to one of his podcasts now. He may have just recognised an opportune market.