Coronavirus

Old Apr 22nd 2021, 10:08 am
  #4306  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

There has been a bit of relaxation for Pt. Roberts, well for those who reside in Pt. Roberts. Pt. Roberts residents can cross for essential reasons to get to the main US border crossing, and have been exempted from land border testing requirements. I don't believe they are allowed to stop anywhere in Canada, just allowed to drive from Pt. Roberts to Peace Arch and only for essential reasons.

An emergency ferry has also been set up, operates on Tue and Fri and is free.6:30 AM Depart Bellingham Cruise Terminal
8:30 AM Arrive Point Roberts Marina

9:00 AM Depart Point Roberts Marina
11:00 AM Arrive Bellingham Cruise Terminal

3:00 PM Depart Bellingham Cruise Terminal
5:00 PM Arrive Point Roberts Marina

5:30 PM Depart Point Roberts Marina
7:30 PM Arrive Bellingham Cruise Terminal

San Juan Airlines also provides air service on Tuesdays.


Biggest issue for Pt. Roberts isn't local residents being able to get out, but Canadian's not being able to go in, town relies almost entirely on Canadian's so no Canadians and no local economy.

Pt. Roberts has an estimated 1,100 year round residents, as of April 15 461 of those were vaccinated with at least 1 dose and they did 57 more last weekend so most likely now over 500 residents are at least 1 vaccine, so if the town gets to a point where 80-90% have the vaccine, what point is there to even keep that border crossing closed?



BC surpassed 500 people in hospital today, and will postpone some 1,700 surgeries.





Originally Posted by caretaker
How can it have gone on this long and nobody's applied a solution? Easy to call it Fire Base Pt Roberts and chopper in the steaks and beer and take out the wounded, but why not have a closed bus allowed to run whoever wants to get back to Washington proper over the border? When I went to Old Mexico they had a nasty green bus with steel mesh over the windows, and that's what you rode from the aduena at Laredo to about 10 miles south of the border, where there was a modern bus waiting. I guess if nobody can get into Point Roberts and nobody can get out, nobody's going to give them covid.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 10:18 am
  #4307  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

The official notice from the government website.

As of April 22, 2021, at 11:30 p.m. (EDT), the Government of Canada will suspend flights from India for a period of 30 days, following the identification of a new variant of the COVID-19.

During that period, passengers who travel to Canada from India via an indirect route will need to obtain a pre-departure negative COVID-19 molecular test result from a third country before continuing their journey to Canada.


scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 10:35 am
  #4308  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There has been a bit of relaxation for Pt. Roberts, well for those who reside in Pt. Roberts. Pt. Roberts residents can cross for essential reasons to get to the main US border crossing, and have been exempted from land border testing requirements. I don't believe they are allowed to stop anywhere in Canada, just allowed to drive from Pt. Roberts to Peace Arch and only for essential reasons..
Point Roberts is an accident of cartographic malfeasance. It should be returned to Canada.
Danny B is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 11:43 am
  #4309  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B
Point Roberts is an accident of cartographic malfeasance. It should be returned to Canada.
I went there with my sister and B-I-L to get something out of their trailer years ago and wasn't impressed. They said it was the only place close enough for them to get away on weekends, but I didn't think it was worth going, and they sold up after a few years. Good to know nobody's stranded after all.
caretaker is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 11:48 am
  #4310  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Best thing about Pt. Roberts is being able to order from the US and closer access to things like cheese, butter and certain other things not found in Canadian grocery stores....But yeah I don't see the appeal to having a vacation home there.

Early in the pandemic people were stranded, but over time they have gotten some ability to leave via car or ferry, but early in the pandemic people were pretty much stuck there for the first few months.

Originally Posted by caretaker
I went there with my sister and B-I-L to get something out of their trailer years ago and wasn't impressed. They said it was the only place close enough for them to get away on weekends, but I didn't think it was worth going, and they sold up after a few years. Good to know nobody's stranded after all.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 12:16 pm
  #4311  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

BC functionally out of Astra Zeneca vaccine, demand soared after being opened to 40-54 age group on Monday.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-out-of-ast...cies-1.5398622
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 12:51 pm
  #4312  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,514
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC functionally out of Astra Zeneca vaccine, demand soared after being opened to 40-54 age group on Monday.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-out-of-ast...cies-1.5398622
The vaccine booking was it seemed pretty straightforward until that is my wife was told that as she is immune compromised she would be able to get it early. We had at that time already registered so next came a game of cat and mouse to attempt to sort it out. We asked at a pharmacy, he said they don't have any BUT she would have to ask her doctor if it was ok for her to have. She sees (or currently has phone call) from a respiratory specialist who keeps tabs on her every 4 months or so. We called their office and reception said you need to call your GP, so we called his office and had to wait for phone appointment 2 days later. He said "oh i think i put you down as urgent case you should get a letter by 15th" We didn't so clearly he didn't do it. This week she gets her call from respiratory guy who says "you are priority i will e mail the form and you can just call to book". So went online with Interior Health and went round in circles as when you select the section for those with compromised immune systems it shows a link to book but clicking that link sends you back to the register page which we had already done!!!
Finally i called and after a short wait was able to speak to someone who said "oh yes you won't get far with the online system for this" Earliest appointment was May 10th
Lets hope they have some left by then
printer is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 1:14 pm
  #4313  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

wow lots of run around there.

next week Canada is due 300,000 J&J which is single shot, a little over 1 million Pfizer and 650,000 Moderna. Pfizer is due to send quite a bit in May, so something should be available on May 10.

Astra Zeneca next delivery isn't known, none scheduled for the near future unless the US sends more up as a loan.

I do worry a bit Canada wont receive enough AZ to provide 2nd doses to everyone who has received a first dose the last couple of months. Seems like an uphill battle in some ways as its the most inconsistent are deliveries and with Serum Institute delaying deliveries to Canada due to the massive outbreak in India, the 1 million expected in April and 500,000 expected in May wont arrive for an unknown period of time.

Best hope is Canada convincing the US to send up at least enough to provide 2nd doses to those who received AZ.


Originally Posted by printer
The vaccine booking was it seemed pretty straightforward until that is my wife was told that as she is immune compromised she would be able to get it early. We had at that time already registered so next came a game of cat and mouse to attempt to sort it out. We asked at a pharmacy, he said they don't have any BUT she would have to ask her doctor if it was ok for her to have. She sees (or currently has phone call) from a respiratory specialist who keeps tabs on her every 4 months or so. We called their office and reception said you need to call your GP, so we called his office and had to wait for phone appointment 2 days later. He said "oh i think i put you down as urgent case you should get a letter by 15th" We didn't so clearly he didn't do it. This week she gets her call from respiratory guy who says "you are priority i will e mail the form and you can just call to book". So went online with Interior Health and went round in circles as when you select the section for those with compromised immune systems it shows a link to book but clicking that link sends you back to the register page which we had already done!!!
Finally i called and after a short wait was able to speak to someone who said "oh yes you won't get far with the online system for this" Earliest appointment was May 10th
Lets hope they have some left by then

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 22nd 2021 at 2:21 pm.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 5:08 pm
  #4314  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,514
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
wow lots of run around there.

next week Canada is due 300,000 J&J which is single shot, a little over 1 million Pfizer and 650,000 Moderna. Pfizer is due to send quite a bit in May, so something should be available on May 10.

Astra Zeneca next delivery isn't known, none scheduled for the near future unless the US sends more up as a loan.

I do worry a bit Canada wont receive enough AZ to provide 2nd doses to everyone who has received a first dose the last couple of months. Seems like an uphill battle in some ways as its the most inconsistent are deliveries and with Serum Institute delaying deliveries to Canada due to the massive outbreak in India, the 1 million expected in April and 500,000 expected in May wont arrive for an unknown period of time.

Best hope is Canada convincing the US to send up at least enough to provide 2nd doses to those who received AZ.
Yeah that phrase seems to sum up Canada's situation at present......"Best Hope"
printer is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 3:34 am
  #4315  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer
Yeah that phrase seems to sum up Canada's situation at present......"Best Hope"

Canada chose the best hope method of pandemic management.

To be fair though the feds did ask the manufacturers if they would produce here, they all said no, that it wasn't viable for them to invest money and facilities in Canada.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 6:09 am
  #4316  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Finally....common sense prevailed. Three travel regions instead of five. This should be easier for everyone to follow.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...travel/current

Danny B is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 6:25 am
  #4317  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Makes more sense for sure, good to see they went the most sensible route with this, although they really should put a check point at the Alberta border rather than just signs.


Originally Posted by Danny B
Finally....common sense prevailed. Three travel regions instead of five. This should be easier for everyone to follow.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...travel/current
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 7:04 am
  #4318  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,160
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Just announced....30+ to be given AZ vaccine.

Daughter had her first vax today...Moderna.

Edit: seems there are not enough supplies in Ontario to offer the AZ vax to 30+

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 23rd 2021 at 9:37 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 8:26 am
  #4319  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just announced....30+ to be given AZ vaccine.

Daughter had her first vax today...Moderna.

Good for those in provinces who still have AZ available.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 8:30 am
  #4320  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Makes more sense for sure, good to see they went the most sensible route with this, although they really should put a check point at the Alberta border rather than just signs.
The provincial borders are so porous I don't know if that would be worth it just from a manpower standpoint. If there's a roadblock on the highway you get on a grid road or range road or whatever and go around it. People either have a good excuse or they think they have a good enough made-up one, and it takes more than just 1 Mountie.... I don't know if armed forces reserves have manpower for it either but they may be an option. I think what the RCMP probably does in their own areas is profile anyone with a foreign plate, rotate stop checks on main roads and get all locals to call a rat line when they see strangers camping and get camp grounds to report them. I'll probably be driving out this summer and imagine it should be great with far less traffic than usual on the road.
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.