Coronavirus

Old Nov 11th 2020, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Record high 1,426 cases yesterday and 15 deaths in Ontario. Toronto 384. 36,700 people tested.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 11th 2020 at 6:25 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 6:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Record high deaths in UK today: 595.
Cumulative now above 50,000.

Old Nov 11th 2020, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The parks manager in Kimberley, B.C has resigned from his position in part due to bullying and harassment from the public due to recreational facilities being closed due to the pandemic.

Can't say I blame him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5797808
Old Nov 12th 2020, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
How many of those cases have caused people to go to hospital or resulted in their death? To me, those are the important numbers.

I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the virus, but my brother in law lives in Brampton Ontario, and has somehow caught COVID. He is 49, tall and skinny, fit as a fiddle and said the worst thing about it is not being able to taste or smell. He had a high temperature for 2 days and felt run down but otherwise he said things were OK. Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery and there are no issues later on in life. That is my main worry right now.
Hospitalizations and death from Covid-19 are trailing indicators, by several weeks in each case.

There have been some improvements in survivability for Covid-19 cases, but the hospitalization and death counts still unfortunately rise as new case counts rise, with a lag of a few weeks.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
How's the vaccination for 'stupid' coming along?
Seems much of the foregoing can be attributed to this human malaise......
I am assuming the stupid vaccination is for the government that ruined a generation of kids education, torched the economy and plunged the country into levels of debt that our great grandchildren will still be paying off when they retire aged 90! Agreed it's not great for those touched by Covid but 50,000 dead (within 28 days of a covid diagnosis) most of whom sadly would have died in the near future anyway is a tiny number out of 70m. To most people catching covid is pretty much a non event and more an inconvenience than anything but the eventual reckoning to come is going to be so much worse. One of my kids had it and recovered and only found out though having an antibody test for work. Another currently has it together with her partner who live with us, they felt a bit under the weather for a few days but it's the time off work which will affect them more plus the inconvenience to the rest of the family thet we are all having now to isolate. Lucklily my wife and I work from home, unluckily we are both classed as high risk so yes it might not be great if either of us got it but the chances are we would be just fine so we kick on and try and keep our tiny cog in the economy going.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 1:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@ Revin Kevin
You speak as if unaware of 'long covid' and the recent research that found a fifth of 'recovered' patients have mental illness problems within 90 days (pretty astonishing when most people who've had it haven't reached that 90 day point yet)so how much worse might it get.

Plus that matter of hospitals not being able to cope with 'normal' health requirements while dealing with covid patients.

Have you also not noticed that every day sees record highs all over the place. Does that not indicate it's getting worse? And then there's the time lag of outcomes that abner mentioned.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL is over a month now since he tested positive, he is no longer positive and finally off supplemental oxygen, but he is still unable to do his usual activities, and even walking short distances puts him out of breath, and lung x-rays suggest he has permanent lung damage from it as well.

But then my sister was asymptomatic and spread it around, including most in her office.

There was a report of a 5 year old dying in the US recently, she died within 3 or so days of showing mild symptoms, no known underlying health conditions.

You just never know how its going to affect you, could be asymptomatic to dead.

Old Nov 12th 2020, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Record high 1,426 cases yesterday and 15 deaths in Ontario. Toronto 384. 36,700 people tested.
Up again...yesterday’s figures...1,575 new cases, 18 deaths. 472 new cases in Toronto.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 4:24 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea things were so bad in Blighty

The UK has become the first country in Europe to pass 50,000 coronavirus deaths, coming after the US, Brazil, India and Mexico.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54905018

Old Nov 12th 2020, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Danny B
I had no idea things were so bad in Blighty

The UK has become the first country in Europe to pass 50,000 coronavirus deaths, coming after the US, Brazil, India and Mexico.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54905018

It would be much better if the figures were per million. UK pop is almost 70K....US pop over 350 million.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It would be much better if the figures were per million. UK pop is almost 70K....US pop over 350 million.
I posted this a couple of days ago -

While we cannot / must not be complacent I think we can take some consolation from the following published figures for deaths, as follows -

Hungary: 254 / million.
EU27/EEA: 432 / million.
UK: 732 / million.
US: >= 740 / million.

ETA: UK has just posted a record cases figure (up approx 50% on previous day). They are holding back on the death figure (usually posted at approx 17:00 GMT) - it has become quite common to delay figures, when they are bad.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Nov 12th 2020 at 5:07 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I posted this a couple of days ago -

US: >= 740 / million.

ETA: UK has just posted a record cases figure (up approx 50% on previous day). They are holding back on the death figure (usually posted at approx 17:00 GMT) - it has become quite common to delay figures, when they are bad.

Thank you. We need the total figures for each country but per million is gives a better perspective IMO.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I like this one for Canada > https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/
Looks like 2.8 deaths per million for us..

Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I like this one for Canada > https://art-bd.shinyapps.io/covid19canada/
Looks like 2.8 deaths per million for us..

Sorry to burst your bubble but you need to move the decimal point one place to the right.
(Still a lot better than many Countries)

Sorry, 2 places to the right!
Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Sorry to burst your bubble but you need to move the decimal point one place to the right.
(Still a lot better than many Countries)

Sorry, 2 places to the right!
Thanks!!
Population of Canada - 37.59 million (2019) divided by number of deaths - 10,739. (Wishful thinking, perhaps)
Despite working in accountancy and book-keeping waaaay back, numbers are obviously not my forte!! LOL!!
Wooops!!! I'm a wally https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 12th 2020 at 5:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.