Coronavirus

Old Sep 18th 2020, 12:36 am
  #2701  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,283
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by bc2015 View Post
And that's the problem with restrictions - when they work as intended, people come and say what was all the fuss over.
Also the problem with the restrictions they put in place was that there wasn't always a clear "exit" strategy. Shut it all down, flatten the curve, open back up. I realize that they didn't just open the flood gates and say "off you go" but it sure seemed like that looking at the news in UK some days. Only a fool would believe that once we started to open up we weren't going to see a rise and of course increased testing adds to that number.
Already we are seeing large parts of UK under local lock downs because they have run out of ideas. Masks are not the answer they were hoping for, they MAY help but they are far from bringing this thing back down.
printer is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 1:48 am
  #2702  
BE user by choice
 
MillieF's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
Posts: 4,835
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Honestly, it's too painful to watch. Although normally quite the newshound, over the last several months I've been tuning it out.
I really agree with this...Pre COVID my husband always said it was like being married to mission control! I needed to know everything as it happened!

I don’t want to know too frequently now...it makes me feel physically sick and very anxious...had I had a guide to losing the plot today, I would have followed it slavishly! I feel that it ‘must’ get better tomorrow- I think that lots of us have moved forward onto the ‘more than normally anxious’ queue!
MillieF is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 2:02 am
  #2703  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,678
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Those aged 4 to 18 will no longer need to have a swab stuck up their nose for testing in BC.

BC has a new option, eventually they plan to make it available to all ages but supply is still limited.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:27 am
  #2704  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,902
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Party animals in Saskatoon - out of 47 attendees, 21 new cases.
"The host of the party has since been fined $2,000 under the province’s public health order which limits all gatherings to 30 people as long as there’s enough space to maintain a two-metre distance."
https://globalnews.ca/news/7342536/s...9-coronavirus/
caretaker is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 1:26 pm
  #2705  
BE Enthusiast
 
tumbleweedly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Location: At home
Posts: 520
tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

From most countries the statistics are still saying that around 90% of deaths from Covid19 are in the 65 years and over age group.

Why aren't most of the health measures making the over 65's be compliant and let the rest do as they will?

It would be important to put in place assistance to over 65's to allow them to isolate at home if they want to stay at home. For instance free delivery of pharmaceuticals, groceries and safe transportation to medical appointments. Apartment managers should post a sign if there are any over '65people in the building and require masks in halls and elevators and make sure social distancing rules are followed with those people who are over 65.

Younger people can speak up for themselves, mask or not, social distance or not amongst themselves.

If we just reduced the amount of Covid19 cases in the over 65's most of the economic problems wouldbe solved because schools can open, under 65's can work, go to pubs and gyms, party, whatever.
It's really on them if they don't want to mask up or socially distance. They can advise their friends of what they choose or don't choose to comply with.

Anyway, it looks like the majority of people have gotten tired of what is a loss of freedom concerning social distancing and masks.

If over 65's are causing the majority of hospital costs to go up, beds taken up with them lingering on for weeks beforea finally dying then they need to be the ones protecting themselves from getting this virus and be given the support to do so, not younger people who probablywon't even realize they have got SarsCov2 if they contract it!

Everyone could be given the support to be allowed to be free to do what suits them.

I'm over 70 and I understand how people under 65 feel their lives are slipping away under lockdown. As we older ones need to protect ourselves at this time pr we will die, we can't expect everyone else to be locked away for months at a time, its not necessary for younger people to do that. It is us older ones that must do that if we want to live or not. The world can't be made to comply to our needs, we have to make ourselves safe at this time. Hopefully there will be more programs of support so this can happen.
tumbleweedly is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:31 pm
  #2706  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,347
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
From most countries the statistics are still saying that around 90% of deaths from Covid19 are in the 65 years and over age group.

Why aren't most of the health measures making the over 65's be compliant and let the rest do as they will?

It would be important to put in place assistance to over 65's to allow them to isolate at home if they want to stay at home. For instance free delivery of pharmaceuticals, groceries and safe transportation to medical appointments. Apartment managers should post a sign if there are any over '65people in the building and require masks in halls and elevators and make sure social distancing rules are followed with those people who are over 65.

Younger people can speak up for themselves, mask or not, social distance or not amongst themselves.

If we just reduced the amount of Covid19 cases in the over 65's most of the economic problems wouldbe solved because schools can open, under 65's can work, go to pubs and gyms, party, whatever.
It's really on them if they don't want to mask up or socially distance. They can advise their friends of what they choose or don't choose to comply with.

Anyway, it looks like the majority of people have gotten tired of what is a loss of freedom concerning social distancing and masks.

If over 65's are causing the majority of hospital costs to go up, beds taken up with them lingering on for weeks beforea finally dying then they need to be the ones protecting themselves from getting this virus and be given the support to do so, not younger people who probablywon't even realize they have got SarsCov2 if they contract it!

Everyone could be given the support to be allowed to be free to do what suits them.

I'm over 70 and I understand how people under 65 feel their lives are slipping away under lockdown. As we older ones need to protect ourselves at this time pr we will die, we can't expect everyone else to be locked away for months at a time, its not necessary for younger people to do that. It is us older ones that must do that if we want to live or not. The world can't be made to comply to our needs, we have to make ourselves safe at this time. Hopefully there will be more programs of support so this can happen.



Most should try to get back to normal. We need to get on with our lives and get the economy up and running. IMO everyone should wear masks and at least for the time being, stay away from large gatherings. Those over 60/65 and those with health issues should take all necessary precautions.

I have a health issue. I have started to go to the supermarket, here the stores are very quiet, you can usually walk straight up to the cashier. I prefer to use the self checkout if possible, because I prefer to pack my own food and there is less contact with the cashier and my shopping. We have only seen our daughter and granddaughter from approx 10 ft away and that is outside. I can live with this. I know it’s not going to be for ever. Hopefully by next summer things will have improved greatly.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:43 pm
  #2707  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 4,620
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Knowing how the virus affects the older generation, shouldn't it be the other way around? the parents are in hospital after their adult child attended an event?
Danny B is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:45 pm
  #2708  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,347
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Ontario has now broken 400 cases...first time in 3 months.

https://www.cp24.com/news/new-covid-...june-1.5110473
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 4:08 pm
  #2709  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,678
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Knowing how the virus affects the older generation, shouldn't it be the other way around? the parents are in hospital after their adult child attended an event?
The cartoon makes some sense for the US, as they started to see increasing deaths in younger age groups, the US population tends to be heavier, and less healthy, so I wouldn't say the same shift would happen in Canada since overall Canadian's tend to be healthier. But for the US the cartoon makes sense considering what is going on, although the kid in the cartoon should probably be black since young blacks seem to be dying more than young whites.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...ng-deaths.html


BC has made it fairly clear over the last few weeks they don't plan to shut much down, only reason night clubs and banquet places ended up closes as they were the 2 biggest sources of spread, and more than one club was caught not following the rules.

But then we never had a true lock down in BC like other places, not even a mandatory mask rule at the government level.

I do think it will take quite a lot of cases before BC shuts much down, but there doesn't seem to be a number, upside is the positivity rate is fairly low while testing is up, so that is good, anything under 5% positivity is good, and we are still well below that, now if we start to see 10% positivity rates things make change.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 18th 2020 at 4:13 pm.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 4:50 pm
  #2710  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,083
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
...It would be important to put in place assistance to over 65's to allow them to isolate at home if they want to stay at home...Younger people can speak up for themselves, mask or not, social distance or not amongst themselves.
.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Those over 60/65 and those with health issues should take all necessary precautions.
What about all those households with Seniors or people with health issues and younger people with no health issues? Do we confine the young and healthy with the seniors and less healthy or do we split them up?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 4:54 pm
  #2711  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,347
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
What about all those households with Seniors or people with health issues and younger people with no health issues? Do we confine the young and healthy with the seniors and less healthy or do we split them up?

That’s the problem...there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’. In such cases I think you have to take whatever precautions you can and be very sensible.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:04 pm
  #2712  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,083
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
That’s the problem...there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’. In such cases I think you have to take whatever precautions you can and be very sensible.

I always say "one size fits nobody"

I just did some googling. Obviously it varies over the world but for North America it seems something approaching 20% of seniors live in households with non seniors while 25% of households have someone with a disability.

Of course not every disability would necessarily be someone at risk but then an awful lot of people with conditions that put them at risk are not disabled either.

When you add in the non seniors who have as yet undiagnosed conditions (they call them silent killers for a reason) that would put them at risk you might have at least half household containing someone at risk.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:06 pm
  #2713  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,902
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Charmin' over half off at Giant Tiger this morning, limit of 3. Roll on, second wave!
caretaker is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:42 pm
  #2714  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 4,620
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Charmin' over half off at Giant Tiger this morning, limit of 3. Roll on, second wave!
Knowing what I know from March & April regarding people panic buying unnecessary crap, I will be going back to a once every 2-3 week big food shopping trip over the winter and buying more canned food, big bag of rice, and large cuts of meat.

The winter of 2020/2021 in BC is either going to be a non event (like it has been all Summer), or a complete COVID nightmare. I don't think there will be an in-between.
Danny B is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:46 pm
  #2715  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,347
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

I always say "one size fits nobody"

I just did some googling. Obviously it varies over the world but for North America it seems something approaching 20% of seniors live in households with non seniors while 25% of households have someone with a disability.

Of course not every disability would necessarily be someone at risk but then an awful lot of people with conditions that put them at risk are not disabled either.

When you add in the non seniors who have as yet undiagnosed conditions (they call them silent killers for a reason) that would put them at risk you might have at least half household containing someone at risk.
A household near us has 3 generations living there. A 90+ year old man and woman (Russian I think), a middle aged woman (Asian) (I think possibly the DIL) and her teenage autistic son. There is also a middle aged man who comes (rarely) and goes, maybe works away from home, he is the son. Apart from the Asian lady, non speak English, it is difficult to exchange words with her. From what she has said the older man has been ill in bed for 12 months now...he can’t get out of bed. A healhcare worker arrives promptly at 8.30 every morning...others come and go throughout the day.

The old lady goes for a short walk several times a day. Good for her...over 90 and walks every day, in all weather. She often returns carrying a carrier bag, so must have been shopping. The teenager has to be escorted by his mum everywhere. She holds onto his arm, never letting go of him. Normally he is collected every morning by bus, he must go to a special school.

Lots of people, of different age groups, coming and going in that household every day. Hopefully non will be infected by Covid.

Have to say I do not know how the Asian lady copes. The house is on 4 levels, no elevator, 2 x 90+ yr olds (one who is bedridden) and an autistic teenager. I take my hat off to her.
Jerseygirl is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.