Cannabis

Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:46 am
  #91  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

I think the devil is in the detail. At the moment weed is freely available, quality varies and a specific strain may not always be in stock but anyone who fancies a joint can pop out and get one. Government regulation, as suggested by this tweet, is going to limit availability, ostensibly to protect minors. That's the purpose of the liquor control boards and they're a massive pain in the arse with their limited opening hours, high prices, officious staff and bizarre stocking policies. I'm for legalization and agree with Souixsie about drunks vs. stoners but never expect intervention by any level of Canadian government to improve life for the governed.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:21 pm
  #92  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,689
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I think the devil is in the detail. At the moment weed is freely available, quality varies and a specific strain may not always be in stock but anyone who fancies a joint can pop out and get one. Government regulation, as suggested by this tweet, is going to limit availability, ostensibly to protect minors. That's the purpose of the liquor control boards and they're a massive pain in the arse with their limited opening hours, high prices, officious staff and bizarre stocking policies. I'm for legalization and agree with Souixsie about drunks vs. stoners but never expect intervention by any level of Canadian government to improve life for the governed.
The thing is that the Liquor laws would make perfect sense if areas like Quebec were constantly overflowing with drunken arseholes off their faces on supermarket beer and wine but they're not. There is evidence within Canada itself to suggest that the draconion alcohol laws in place throughout most of the country are entirely unnecessary.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 5:20 pm
  #93  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,271
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
There is evidence within Canada itself to suggest that the draconion alcohol laws in place throughout most of the country are entirely unnecessary.
When I lived in Canada in the mid-1960s, Toronto had "wet wards" and "dry wards". In the latter, it was illegal to drink alcohol in public view. Friends of mine were interviewed and warned by the Police (though not arrested, as far as I can recall) one summer day, for drinking beer while sitting on the window ledge of their rented house - on the second floor, above a mini-balcony, in full view of passers-by!!! Shock,horror!

Another time, soon after I had arrived in TO, I was drinking at a table with new friends after work, when I stood up to take my glass across to another table. A workmate grabbed my shoulder and pulled me roughly down back into my chair, explaining that it was illegal to stand up with a glass in hand. "As soon as you stood up, I saw the bouncer step away from his place by the wall", he said. The law required that I call the bouncer across to carry my glass for me to the other table. That sounds unreal, but it's a true story. Please tell me it's not still like that!
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 5:36 pm
  #94  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,689
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
When I lived in Canada in the mid-1960s, Toronto had "wet wards" and "dry wards". In the latter, it was illegal to drink alcohol in public view. Friends of mine were interviewed and warned by the Police (though not arrested, as far as I can recall) one summer day, for drinking beer while sitting on the window ledge of their rented house - on the second floor, above a mini-balcony, in full view of passers-by!!! Shock,horror!

Another time, soon after I had arrived in TO, I was drinking at a table with new friends after work, when I stood up to take my glass across to another table. A workmate grabbed my shoulder and pulled me roughly down back into my chair, explaining that it was illegal to stand up with a glass in hand. "As soon as you stood up, I saw the bouncer step away from his place by the wall", he said. The law required that I call the bouncer across to carry my glass for me to the other table. That sounds unreal, but it's a true story. Please tell me it's not still like that!
It's definitely not still like that.

The laws are certainly draconion compared to the UK or even parts of America but it's not that bad in Ontario at least anymore.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 5:50 pm
  #95  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,620
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

I remember having to get the server to move a drink, as well as no singing or dancing in the bar. The last beer parlour I was in that had separate entrances and rooms for Gentlemen and Ladies & Escorts was the Marina Hotel in Thunder Bay in about 1973 or 74.
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
When I lived in Canada in the mid-1960s, Toronto had "wet wards" and "dry wards". In the latter, it was illegal to drink alcohol in public view. Friends of mine were interviewed and warned by the Police (though not arrested, as far as I can recall) one summer day, for drinking beer while sitting on the window ledge of their rented house - on the second floor, above a mini-balcony, in full view of passers-by!!! Shock,horror!

Another time, soon after I had arrived in TO, I was drinking at a table with new friends after work, when I stood up to take my glass across to another table. A workmate grabbed my shoulder and pulled me roughly down back into my chair, explaining that it was illegal to stand up with a glass in hand. "As soon as you stood up, I saw the bouncer step away from his place by the wall", he said. The law required that I call the bouncer across to carry my glass for me to the other table. That sounds unreal, but it's a true story. Please tell me it's not still like that!
caretaker is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:05 pm
  #96  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,271
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
It's definitely not still like that. The laws are certainly draconian compared to the UK or even parts of America but it's not that bad in Ontario at least anymore.
Oh well, it's nice to be able to say with pride, "I was there, wayyy back when!"
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:11 pm
  #97  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,271
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I remember having to get the server to move a drink.
All this is a bit off-topic for a thread on cannabis, so to drag it back on topic I will speculate that in the new era there will be "puff parlours", where customers have to call up a server to carry their spliffs when changing tables. Does that sound about right?
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:17 pm
  #98  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
The law required that I call the bouncer across to carry my glass for me to the other table. That sounds unreal, but it's a true story. Please tell me it's not still like that!
You still see that if you want to walk from the patio to the inside of the bar, typically the front step of the bar isn't licensed. That said, the era of each ordering a tray of 4 ounce beers has passed.

Last edited by dbd33; Jun 21st 2018 at 6:29 pm.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:34 pm
  #99  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I remember having to get the server to move a drink, as well as no singing or dancing in the bar. The last beer parlour I was in that had separate entrances and rooms for Gentlemen and Ladies & Escorts was the Marina Hotel in Thunder Bay in about 1973 or 74.
The Canada tavern in the Moss Park area of Toronto still had them when they knocked it down, less than ten years ago. Some areas that were historically dry, High Park, for example, are still short of bars though it's been legal to open one for some years. Still, even in Canadian terms, High Park is not an area one chooses for fun.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:17 am
  #100  
Listen to the Music
 
dave_j's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Fraser Valley BC
Posts: 2,401
dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

It's a sad world where big money sees even more big money to be made by peddling drugs to the eager masses.
Yes, yes, I know that it's been going on for, well a long time, that's why I brew my own beer and wine.. but two wrongs don't make a right.
So we have a product that many think frees themselves from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them and a clutch of financial and political opportunists who'll exploit any disatisfaction with real life as a means to accumulate even more wealth and political advantage.
Q. Is this legalisation a logical expression of the public will and political promise or...
Is this legalisation a realisation that there's money to be made from the weak minded and a pliable government or..
Has the political will bowed a little too low before a willing electorate in the expectation of receiving political benefit?
dave_j is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 3:41 pm
  #101  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,271
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
It's a sad world where big money sees even more big money to be made by peddling drugs to the eager masses. Yes, yes, I know that it's been going on for, well a long time, that's why I brew my own beer and wine.. but two wrongs don't make a right.
So we have a product that many think frees themselves from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them and a clutch of financial and political opportunists who'll exploit any dissatisfaction with real life as a means to accumulate even more wealth and political advantage.
But Dave, if you brew your own beer and thus deny "big money" some profit, why shouldn't I grow my own hashish and deny "big money" some? You're correct that two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't make a right, either. Is one of the wrongs (drinking a liquid intoxicant) somehow less wrong than the other (smoking a non-liquid intoxicant)? I think you're indulging in some "special pleading", here! It's not logical.

When you say, "we have a product that many think frees them from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them", do you mean booze or the weed? What about opioids? When people are in severe pain, shouldn't they be given morphine to free them from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them? If so, why not cannabis?
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:19 pm
  #102  
Magnificently Withering
 
Oakvillian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 6,721
Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Hilarious that a country that mostly still takes an almost puritan approach to alcohol regulation just legalised recreational use of a dangerous narcotic.
​​​​​​
By the end of this year you will be able to legally order weed over the internet in most provinces but you still can't buy a four pack of beers from the supermarket.
Since when (and where) is cannabis a "dangerous narcotic?" In most legislative frameworks that I'm aware of, it is viewed as neither of those things.

Of course, the alcohol laws are ridiculous. But that doesn't mean that cannabis legalization, by its mere existence, is also ridiculous
Oakvillian is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:31 pm
  #103  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,097
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Hilarious that a country that mostly still takes an almost puritan approach to alcohol regulation just legalised recreational use of a dangerous narcotic.
​​​​​​
By the end of this year you will be able to legally order weed over the internet in most provinces but you still can't buy a four pack of beers from the supermarket.

Yes you can!

https://www.ontario.ca/page/beer-win...grocery-stores
Full list of Ontario grocery stores that sell beer | CBC News


I'll second the comment about weed not being a dangerous narcotic. It's not crack cocaine for goodness sake!
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 12:37 am
  #104  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Yes you can!
https://www.ontario.ca/page/beer-win...grocery-stores
Full list of Ontario grocery stores that sell beer CBC News


I'll second the comment about weed not being a dangerous narcotic. It's not crack cocaine for goodness sake!
I don't think you can actually do it. I saw a six pack of swill in Loblaws which I thought ideal for shoving up the arse of dead chickens and took it to the cash register where they didn't know how to sell it to me and added it to a pile of cans not sold to other people. This after joining the long queue at the one check out where the cashier is allowed to fail to sell people beer. Thus far, buying beer in the supermarket is more hassle than going to the LCBO for beer.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 1:24 am
  #105  
Listen to the Music
 
dave_j's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Fraser Valley BC
Posts: 2,401
dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cannabis

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
But Dave, if you brew your own beer and thus deny "big money" some profit, why shouldn't I grow my own hashish and deny "big money" some? You're correct that two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't make a right, either. Is one of the wrongs (drinking a liquid intoxicant) somehow less wrong than the other (smoking a non-liquid intoxicant)? I think you're indulging in some "special pleading", here! It's not logical.
When you say, "we have a product that many think frees them from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them", do you mean booze or the weed? What about opioids? When people are in severe pain, shouldn't they be given morphine to free them from an everyday reality that doesn't do it for them? If so, why not cannabis?
I make no claim to be logical, neither do I claim to be right or to know it all. I'm tolerant, I have no interest into who has faith or who has unusual personal habits.
But I do have an interest in how political decision making will potentially affect me or those I'd rather not have to bury.
We know that drunks kill people. Personal experience tells me, because I've experienced it, that drunks don't think clearly and can't make rational decisions and whilst they may think they can drive safely they can't. I drink but I now never drive having used alcohol.
Cannabis, like alcohol, changes the way people interpret the world around them and I question the political expediency that has resulted in legalising cannabis use.
I fully accept that cannabis use is widespread and is an accepted aspect of canadian life but it worries me that politicians have apparently unlocked this particular locked box and thrown away the key and I question the reasoning behind it.
If I could rely on the average canadian to indulge and not to drive then I'd welcome legalisation, but I'm afraid I can't convince myself that this'll happen.
What legalisation will mean for me personally is that I'll be even more careful when driving my grandchildren, knowing that the truck tailgating me or the car approaching the upcoming intersection will very likely be driven by a cannabis user who may not see the world as it actually exists.
Two days ago my daughter followed a truck that turned over on a bend and crushed an unlucky car coming the other way.. and the driver of this truck was sober. The roads are dangerous enough without adding risk on risk.

Last edited by dave_j; Jun 23rd 2018 at 1:29 am.
dave_j is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.