Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I have enough tea bags t last 1 week and I am not due to go to the UK for another 3 weeks.

Do any of the supermarkets ship to Italy, I have looked at the British corner shop but they are very expensive. I have searched the forums but can't find the post I remember reading.

Pete
Probably easier if one of us posts some to you in a jiffy bag.
I have enough to last until Christmas and I'm going back at the end of this month for my school reunion, so can easily buy some more.

I have PG Tips, Typhoo (don't know who brought me those) and some called Punjana which is lovely tea.

I nearly ran out once and called my sister to post me some. She bought a box of t-bags in her lunch hour and a jiffy bag, and when she was in line at the post office she kept putting her hand into the open box of tea in her handbag, grabbing a handful of tea bags and stuffing them into a clear bag inside the jiffy bag. This old lady kept looking and looking at her until my sister felt compelled to say "my sister lives in Italy - they don't have good tea over there so I have to post her some."

The old lady chuckled and said "I know all about that love, my Granddaughter lives in Australia. Guess what's in my jiffy bag? Gravy granules."
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Probably easier if one of us posts some to you in a jiffy bag.
I have enough to last until Christmas and I'm going back at the end of this month for my school reunion, so can easily buy some more.

I have PG Tips, Typhoo (don't know who brought me those) and some called Punjana which is lovely tea.

I nearly ran out once and called my sister to post me some. She bought a box of t-bags in her lunch hour and a jiffy bag, and when she was in line at the post office she kept putting her hand into the open box of tea in her handbag, grabbing a handful of tea bags and stuffing them into a clear bag inside the jiffy bag. This old lady kept looking and looking at her until my sister felt compelled to say "my sister lives in Italy - they don't have good tea over there so I have to post her some."

The old lady chuckled and said "I know all about that love, my Granddaughter lives in Australia. Guess what's in my jiffy bag? Gravy granules."
Oh Thats really thoughtful of you.

I will ask my daughter to throw some in a jiffy bag,

Pete
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I have enough tea bags t last 1 week and I am not due to go to the UK for another 3 weeks.

Do any of the supermarkets ship to Italy, I have looked at the British corner shop but they are very expensive. I have searched the forums but can't find the post I remember reading.

Pete
YOu could either try the Chinese shops down in turin (i get my pg tips at the Chinese shop in Milan ) or esle drive over the border to Briancon and go to one of the french supermarkets cos they sell tetley !!
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:41 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
YOu could either try the Chinese shops down in turin (i get my pg tips at the Chinese shop in Milan ) or esle drive over the border to Briancon and go to one of the french supermarkets cos they sell tetley !!
Which supermarket in Briançon, Patty? Roughly how much are they?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Which supermarket in Briançon, Patty? Roughly how much are they?
not sure 37100 but every time I've been in France I've found them - and in Briancon there are apparently quite a few supermarkets including Geant and Champion.

I got PG tips in Milan and they weren't at all expensive - i think I paid about 5 euros for a box of 120 bags (which isnt bad is it ?)

my friend came last week and bought me a box of decaffeinated t-bags and they are lovely - I'm a convert
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:47 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure 37100 but every time I've been in France I've found them - and in Briancon there are apparently quite a few supermarkets including Geant and Champion.

I got PG tips in Milan and they weren't at all expensive - i think I paid about 5 euros for a box of 120 bags (which isnt bad is it ?)

my friend came last week and bought me a box of decaffeinated t-bags and they are lovely - I'm a convert
Thanks. Nope €5 is not bad at all. I pay that for 80. Must admit, I'm a recent decaf convert too, but I was keeping quiet about it.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

Anyone know if they sell French-style (set) yoghurts in Italy? My two-year-old became obsessed with them in England. I've never actually looked for them before so maybe they're easy to find, but there are none in our local Conad or the cheapo discount supermarket.

Oh and I drink decaf PG tips at the moment due to being pregnant and agree that it is very good. The decaf tea you can buy here is awful.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I have seen set yogurts in little glass jars but cant remember where. I usually shop at Penny Market, Lidl or sometimes SMA/Auchan and Carrefour - so it must be one of them
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

I think I have seen set yogurts in little glass jars but cant remember where. I usually shop at Penny Market, Lidl or sometimes SMA/Auchan and Carrefour - so it must be one of them
Thanks. Sounds like they might be expensive. My daughter was eating at least 3 a day in the UK so maybe I'll just let her forget about them!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Lidl are having their British week from next Monday, 10th. Apart from the normal stuff like cheddar, marmalade, etc. they have even got Guiness (yuck) 500ml at 1,29 for those who are interested. Salt and vinegar crisps, too, albeit balsamico!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pugliese
Lidl are having their British week from next Monday, 10th. Apart from the normal stuff like cheddar, marmalade, etc. they have even got Guiness (yuck) 500ml at 1,29 for those who are interested. Salt and vinegar crisps, too, albeit balsamico!
Is that next Monday 15th?

I googled it and it brought me to the thread on this forum of 3 years ago!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635885
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Is that next Monday 15th?

I googled it and it brought me to the thread on this forum of 3 years ago!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635885
yes, sorry .... I've lost all track of time! It's definitely next Monday i.e. today is Thursday, so in 4 days time, whatever date that is!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

yes, sorry .... I've lost all track of time! It's definitely next Monday i.e. today is Thursday, so in 4 days time, whatever date that is!
Cool..15th it is then! I can't see anything on their website .. only Ital specialities and French "cuisine" ..
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Thanks Pugliese. I always forget about Lidl. I'm in Turin and I'll take a look. I don't actually need anything, except for a xmas cake, because I managed to stock up on a bit of everything last time I was in the UK. I sent home two big boxes of stuff and my mum sends regular 30 kilo boxes too. Bought some Suffolk crips here the other day and some decent cheddar too. And now my sons sort of don't live at home, we get through far, far less stuff.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:05 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

They had some excellent Belgian chocolate topped shortcake last time round. The cheddar wasn't bad either. I also got some blackcurrant cordial too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.