Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:07 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by jonwel
Maybe I'm saying something stupid but investigate: I think cornflour is "maizena".
Maizena is a colloquial name for Amido di mais. It is also a registered trademark.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

About tea: I said some time ago, but no one took any notice, that if you don't mind using a teapot and strainer the Arab (Egyptian) shops (usually butchers) sell a Kenya tea, imported through Egypt, called "El Arosa" in a yellow and red packet. It's very fine, almost a powder, but makes a good strong cuppa. I get a 250g packet for €1.50, which isn't at all bad. Some places charge a bit more, but it's still reasonable.
Pluck up courage, someone, and try it! Tell us what you think!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 37100
Maizena is a colloquial name for Amido di mais. It is also a registered trademark.
Found it in my usual Gigante supermarket. Thank you.... I would never have known what it was otherwise!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:58 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a high today after finding cream of tartar at the supermaket.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter brings me PG tips from Milan. She gets them from one of those Asian mini-markets near Via Paolo Sarpi. A box of 40 is just 1.60 euros - not bad ey I cant find them here in Turin though.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:14 am
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

Anyone have any ideas where to buy:

Colemans english mustard or similar
Heinz salad cream or similar
Garam Masala (cant find this stuff anywhere and its an essential ingridient in my perfect indian curries) ?

Thx in advance.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Engliano

Colemans english mustard or similar - some supermarkets do actually sell it (in powder form). Otherwise try the Filipino-type stores.
Heinz salad cream or similar - You can find it at LIDL, they call it something like "condimento cremoso per insalata", or it may even say "Salad cream" in English.
Garam Masala (can't find this stuff anywhere and its an essential ingredient in my perfect Indian curries)? This one's more difficult! It depends where you live. If you can find an Asian shop you may well find all the curry spices you need, the usual makes you're used to in GB. Failing Asian, try Arab. By the way, if you also want Tahini, the Arabs are the ones who sell it.
Happy hunting!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Garam Masala (cant find this stuff anywhere and its an essential ingridient in my perfect indian curries) ?

Thx in advance.
Coleman's you can get in a lot of supermarkets. I get mine in Esselunga.

Heinz Salad cream I buy in a local Asian store.

Garam Masala. Have you had a look in Eataly? If not, bigger supermarkets or again, an Asian store.:-)) I was once persuaded by a store owner from Pakistan to try their fresh mix.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Thx in advance.
Check out local Asian or Chinese stores ... I've found a lot of stuff in those, they had salad cream def, but I don't eat it.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

I unashamedly copied this from a blog I follow:

One of the lovely things about holidaying in Italy is how laid back everything is. Hanging out at the beach all day without even bothering to read a book. Slow walks in the early evening with no sense of purpose. Long languorous lunches.

Do not be fooled. Although they will humour you when you’re on holiday, Italians are anything but laid back when it comes to rules about food. Here are just a few which would never be transgressed by a self-respecting Italian:

1. Do not have cheese with seafood. If a waiter offers you parmesan for your spaghetti vongole, he is being mischievous and testing you. Look at him with a shocked expression and say ‘Sei pazzo? No grazie!’

2. Do not drink wine with pizza. Beer or a Coke are the correct partners. (Apparently it’s to do with bubbles aiding digestion, but my theory is that the physical wrestling involved in pizza consumption would risk upending an unstable wine glass – better to have a more anchored beer bottle.)

3. Do not drink a cappuccino after 11.30am. From that point it is strictly espresso – yes right until bedtime. Milk in the afternoon is only suitable for the under 3s.

4. It is perfectly acceptable to re-use your knife and fork between courses. But not your plate.

5. If you are served a pasta dish which involves chicken, you are not in a bona fide Italian restaurant. Chicken is a ‘secondo’ which should be eaten on its own. You wouldn’t put a loin of beef or a lamb chop in your pasta would you? Well same thing.

6. Don’t pour wine on wine – ie don’t refill a glass until it is empty, you vulgar beast.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:14 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh damn: now I know that I am a vulgar beast who compounds my vulgarity by drinking wine with pizza - oh the shame
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by malcesine99
I unashamedly copied this from a blog I follow:

One of the lovely things about holidaying in Italy ....

... you vulgar beast.

- I think most of that is true, except perhaps for the pizza one ... I used to enjoy a glass or two of red with my Quattro Stagioni .. nobody seemed to mind.

I would also add : "Do not eat bread with pasta" . .apart from being a super-carb diet, it's def an Italian-food no-no. My Dad does it when he's over and it always gets a smirk .. like the post-perandial cappuccino.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Oh damn: now I know that I am a vulgar beast who compounds my vulgarity by drinking wine with pizza - oh the shame
Ha! snap Mike!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:38 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
I would also add : "Do not eat bread with pasta" .
It gets worse and worse, why does no one ever tell you these things it is no wonder I never get invited anywhere for dinner twice
Old Jul 10th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Its a learning curve

I dared to order a cappucino in a pizzeria and the waiter retorted 'un cappicino a quest'ora'!

Its a standing joke now every time I ask for one - I just don't do espresso.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.