Student Visa - Medicals

Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice
Default Re: Student Visa - Medicals

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I was told to study in UK and come over, but like you wanted to be here NOW!! ... so here we are.

Yeah we'd of loved to have bought the money and threw in on a house but with no chance of PR it was our only chance of getting it so went with it. We both say all the time altho we've done every penny to our name, we'd 100% def do it again!

Waste money or overspend? Well yeah we did but we said if we don't make PR we want our 2 years to be 2 of the best years of our lives. Don't get me wrong, we haven't had a proper holiday, didn't go overboard on the cars, and don't gamble ... ... but I reckon we could've gone easier fa sure!

There was thread on here a while back about a family of 4 living of $80k per year and the general consensus was that you can. Some do it on a lot less too! We worked that we spend roughly $1,000 a week to get by, and that's NOT being extravagant at all. We live in a modest house and rent is just under $400pw, throw into that all the rest and we as I say spend $1,000 pw roughly. The £90k DID as I said pay for 2 cars and ALL course fee's too. Both me and Nic was studying to start with and that was $34k and we spent just under $40k on 2 cars. So far we've paid $25k odd on kids fee's so if you have no kids, ride a pushbike and live in a tent I reckon you can do it on a lot less ...
Thanks for that PaulandNick, Lee will definitly be riding a bike then. Did you buy brand new cars then?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandyp
I know I was reading paulandnic's post with much interest too!!

I have to say though, we'l be taking a lot less than you Lindsay and probably a lot less than I'd originally thought we'd have ( £30.000).

I'm hoping that everyone is taking the hint when we've said not to bother with leaving presents!!LOL

We'r thinking positively though, a guy we know was telling us the other day that his brother (immigrated 30 years ago), is a mr big in the construction industry ( apparantly worldwide n not just Australia by the way woowh!!).

He's gonna pass on our details and he's gave us his, he's based in Brisbane. We'l see what comes out of it but we hope it's even just a contact to line Colin up with some work.

Apparently labouring is very well paid.

It's all about luck n being bold as brass as far as i'm concerned!!! We'l have a budget n we'll need to stick to it, simple as.

I know i'm probably being very nieve but you spend whatever you have wherever you are. There's a really good thread about someone who's been in the gold coast for a few years n they arrived with a couople a suitcases n a few hundred GBP, if they can do it then anyone can!!!!

Cheers
Mandy

I agree we can only make it work if we want it hard enough!!! I plan on buying when I get to Oz if I dont get PR it will just mean selling up? But not looking at it like that

If your guy is Mr Big he could get OH a paid placement for when he is not in college on one of his sites

I never thought of the leaving present idea (cough cough) good idea!!!

Lyndsay x
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently labouring is very well paid.
I'm NOT trying to burst bubbles here, but the goin rate for labouring is $20ph.

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Did you buy brand new cars then?
Nope.

When we arrived we bought a 2 year old Toyota Corolla for $17k (worth every penny) and still have. We was so impressed with the Toyota we DID go a bit overboard and bought a 4 yr old Rav4 for $25k. Sold that 6 months later for $18k so don't believe what ppl say about holding prices over here! Ok, we WAS desperate but it took 6 weeks to sell even at that price!

We could've spent $10k a piece easily but unless lucky you don't get much for less than that from what we see.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brockies
I plan on buying when I get to Oz
Check with the FIRB but when we looked into it they'll let you buy up to $300k I think it was which might buy you a unit!

Dammm! ... I AM sounding quite negative at the mo ... ... so will bail out before I start reading the MBTTUK forum ...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

I'm NOT trying to burst bubbles here, but the goin rate for labouring is $20ph.

Nope.

When we arrived we bought a 2 year old Toyota Corolla for $17k (worth every penny) and still have. We was so impressed with the Toyota we DID go a bit overboard and bought a 4 yr old Rav4 for $25k. Sold that 6 months later for $18k so don't believe what ppl say about holding prices over here! Ok, we WAS desperate but it took 6 weeks to sell even at that price!

We could've spent $10k a piece easily but unless lucky you don't get much for less than that from what we see.
Hee hee,

Well i'd thought we'd both MAYBE get jobs paying around $15 ph so that sounds alright if they take me on too that be great!! LOL

We'r looking to replace our shogun with similar, out there maybe slightly older but planning on spending around $9000, we've bought our last coupla cars with just hubbie looking them over and have done alright, but it's just your luck!!!

As for house buying, apparantly you can apply to get the $300.000 raised if you have family dunno how much by though I'm all for renting cause i think it would be cheaper n if things get really bad can always find a cheaper rental rather than being stuck with a mortgage!!!

We've also been looking through the classifieds to kit out a house, n everything is well cheap!!!!

Also found out that ALDI is over there (cause a use LIDL nappies and wondered if they were there. Best nappies you can buy so much better than pampers/ huggies, some useless info for ya all!!!) think they're pretty cheap too?!!

As a said, don't wanna come across totally nieve but people live on well low wages across the globe, just gotta lower the standards according to the budget!!!

And if MR Big does us all right Linds, all pass on info!!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hay guys,

Totally in shock, visa's been approved has only taken 8 weeks!!!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Hee hee,

Well i'd thought we'd both MAYBE get jobs paying around $15 ph so that sounds alright if they take me on too that be great!! LOL

We'r looking to replace our shogun with similar, out there maybe slightly older but planning on spending around $9000, we've bought our last coupla cars with just hubbie looking them over and have done alright, but it's just your luck!!!

As for house buying, apparantly you can apply to get the $300.000 raised if you have family dunno how much by though I'm all for renting cause i think it would be cheaper n if things get really bad can always find a cheaper rental rather than being stuck with a mortgage!!!

We've also been looking through the classifieds to kit out a house, n everything is well cheap!!!!

Also found out that ALDI is over there (cause a use LIDL nappies and wondered if they were there. Best nappies you can buy so much better than pampers/ huggies, some useless info for ya all!!!) think they're pretty cheap too?!!

As a said, don't wanna come across totally nieve but people live on well low wages across the globe, just gotta lower the standards according to the budget!!!

And if MR Big does us all right Linds, all pass on info!!!

Cheers
Mandy
You know I know of a bloke who got approval for $750k ... (3 family members studying tho!) ... so yeah NOTHING is out of the question! ... and yeah if you budget you can easily get by on a lot less than we have. I don't think renting a lovely house in Coomera Waters with pool for $550pw did much for OUR budgeting ...lol, but hey, it WAS a lovely 6 months there! ...

We kick ourself now for NOT going real easy with the bank balance, but as I say we wanted to make sure if we ONLY get 2 years here, we have a bloody good 2 years! ...

Another point is we're on the Gold Coast and Nic's field is Admin. Trying to get Admin work for 20 hours is as good as impossible and loads of part time work is 25 odd hours too so no good! The best she got was a job offer with 20 hours pw work but it was north of Brissie and she didn't think much of the 90 min commute to be honest ... She was told by quite a few recruitment agencies that part time Admin work is REALLY 'gold dust' here as all the mums want the jobs cos of kids schooling etc and you'll be competing with 40 or 50 other ppl for the job. People that HAVE PR and are obviously more appealing to anyone on a temp visa.

Oh and it took Macca's 6 weeks and TWO interviews to tell me they couldn't take someone on with my visa!

Too funny!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Hay guys,

Cheers
Mandy
Taking that long now! ...

Took 10 days when we applied ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Taking that long now! ...

Took 10 days when we applied ...
Had to be referred to Sydney cause doc didn't tick a box on medical form, but noticed that Sean did his online n it took 17 days!!

It's been too long I just couldn't stand the torture of waiting for any other visa, but a suppose its all just the mentality, if you kinda know how long its gonna take then you're prepared!!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:32 am
Account Closed

doc didn't tick a box on medical form
That was handy! ...

Your obv relieved and best of luck to you!

ALL of you actually! ...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Hay guys,

Cheers
Mandy
CONGRATS MANDY

Starting filling in my applictaion now!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

boobear will become famous soon enoughboobear will become famous soon enough

Hay guys,

Cheers
Mandy
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
oooohhh I'm getting really jealous now
Caroline.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming our house sale goes through we should have about £50k to take with us (and pay the course out of). We chose Adealide as, as well as family being there, it is cheaper to live than other states. We did consider QLD but were worried it would be harder to find work.
We are giving ourselves a max of $250 a week for a rental, which seems perfectly do-able in Adelaide. We have also budgeted between $5-10k per car and we are very used to living cheaply, so don't see too many problems. One of the main things we have going for us I think is that there are just two of us. School fees do look very scarey!!

Everything just resting on the house sale now. Damn it for taking so long!!!! If it falls through I don't know what we will do.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers guys,

Totally excited now, gonna book the flights and holiday rental now!!!

Good luck guys and fingers crossed no-one has to wait as long as we have!!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Hay guys,

Cheers
Mandy
Congratulations mandyp, all you can do now is look forward to your new life in oz. Good Luck with your new life, hope it's what you expect and more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.