April 2008 Applicants

Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

T-bird will become famous soon enoughT-bird will become famous soon enough
Default Re: April 2008 Applicants

Originally Posted by Dodge38
There is a definite change happening in the housing market here, even since we arrived in November...so we could all get ourselves a bargain!! My hubby has not been able to get a job yet....mind you he is in Construction and they downed tools for atlest 4 weeks over the Christmas hols and are starting to return to work now - so seeing jobs advertised this week and he had 2 interviews yesterday...so fingers crossed!!! I start work on Monday...looking forward to it, but feeling a bit scared too as it could be so different!!!

We have enjoyed being here for 9 weeks and not working though - had quality time with the children and discovered Australia together!!

Dodge OH
It is very scary giving up two great jobs here + then trying to find work in a new country in a downturn. I'm just updating my CV so that I can send it off to recruitment agents and hopefully have some meetings on the recce trip.

I did read an article the other day that said Australia will be quick to recover. General consensus for the UK seems to be bad until 2010.

I've surprised myself as I love throwing things out - but I'm quite keen on the idea of having all of my stuff around me when we get there. It's only in the last couple of years that we've bought really nice stuff. I keep telling myself though that I won't need three winter coats... but it's hard to imagine when it's so cold here!

Haven't found a new home for the cat yet though...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

T-bird will become famous soon enoughT-bird will become famous soon enough

There is a definite change happening in the housing market here, even since we arrived in November...so we could all get ourselves a bargain!! My hubby has not been able to get a job yet....mind you he is in Construction and they downed tools for atlest 4 weeks over the Christmas hols and are starting to return to work now - so seeing jobs advertised this week and he had 2 interviews yesterday...so fingers crossed!!! I start work on Monday...looking forward to it, but feeling a bit scared too as it could be so different!!!

We have enjoyed being here for 9 weeks and not working though - had quality time with the children and discovered Australia together!!

Dodge OH
Ooops - forgot to say... good luck with the new job. You'll be fine!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dodge38 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by T-bird
Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by T-bird
Yeah, good luck with the new job.

Hopefully Dodge will be finding a position soon.

I hope that they extend the first time home buyers double the credit past 30 june. That would be helpful to us. I don't think we can get our act together in time to find something before the end of June.

After being here for 8 weeks, my OH starts work tomorrow - and I can tell you it's not a bit too soon either. We have a long list of things on the wish list - once the income starts coming in. We didn't bring anything that didn't fit in the suitcases. We brought 2 laptops and our WII though.

That didn't stop us from taking advantage of the great new car sales, though! Dave needs one for his commute....we'll pick it up later today.

Catherine
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:07 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Congrats to Caliburn

I definitely agree that a laptop is an essential in the first few weeks. I'd recommend getting a prepay mobile Internet dongle from one of the mobile operators (they all do them) - not blinding fast access, and you don't want to start streaming UK tv or youtube on it, but it'll get your email and give you web access.

Mel: it was in the upper 30s for a few days in Perth last week; that's not actually unbearable, though you do learn fast how to keep the house cool (do not do the Brit thing of opening the windows and doors to let the warm air in) and that the middle of the day is best spent indoors. Today and yesterday it's cooler, but it'll probably be 40 by the end of the week. Is that warm enough for you?

We've also been looking at the great prices on new cars... when Margy starts work in Feb we might pick her up a little new one; the prices are only a little more than a good secondhand one, and there's still reasonable finance around if you look.

Cheers
b
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tiger222
Yeah, good luck with the new job.

Hopefully Dodge will be finding a position soon.

I hope that they extend the first time home buyers double the credit past 30 june. That would be helpful to us. I don't think we can get our act together in time to find something before the end of June.

After being here for 8 weeks, my OH starts work tomorrow - and I can tell you it's not a bit too soon either. We have a long list of things on the wish list - once the income starts coming in. We didn't bring anything that didn't fit in the suitcases. We brought 2 laptops and our WII though.

That didn't stop us from taking advantage of the great new car sales, though! Dave needs one for his commute....we'll pick it up later today.

Catherine
We are all wishing your OH 'Good Luck' for his first day at work!!!! Great news about the car purchase. I have popped into work today and everyone was so friendly, so I am glad I have broken the ice....but will still be nervous on Monday!!

Have a good weekend, before Oh starts work....I intend to - & it's my Birthday so going to have a nice meal with friends and family.

Dodge OH
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

hanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the rough

Firstly can I just say thank you to everyone as I know I am getting very boring at work discussing Australia all the time, even though we don't have the visa yet! When people mention it in passing I can loiter for 20mins discussing it. This forum is my outlet and I am becoming very addicted.

We are not sure about the cat T either I am still hoping we may take him. I was using the kids as the carrot as they have always used him as the anchor of where home is, but my eldest decided this week a hamster would be a good substitute in Australia so the cat is no longer a requirement!

Dodge happy birthday hope you have a had a good one.

We were hoping of having family time when we arrive before work and school starts in 2010 - although I am worried that we will find working very hard when we start again.

Hope all the new jobs are going well for you all
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

This forum is a godsend for those of us who have bored everyone at work and at least we have others to share our journey with!

Just a thought hanwilt, there's a couple of us meeting up in Portishead at the end of Jan if you want to come along and let off steam!! Anyone else want to join in, pm me for the details!

Mel
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

We are all wishing your OH 'Good Luck' for his first day at work!!!! Great news about the car purchase. I have popped into work today and everyone was so friendly, so I am glad I have broken the ice....but will still be nervous on Monday!!

Have a good weekend, before Oh starts work....I intend to - & it's my Birthday so going to have a nice meal with friends and family.

Dodge OH
Thanks,Dodge! He's at work now. I haven't received a phone call, so that's good news. Hopefully he'll check in at lunch time.

Good luck to you on MONDAY. Have a great weekend. I'm glad you stopped in to say hello. Smart!

Catherine
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,Dodge! He's at work now. I haven't received a phone call, so that's good news. Hopefully he'll check in at lunch time.

Good luck to you on MONDAY. Have a great weekend. I'm glad you stopped in to say hello. Smart!

Catherine
Hi..Let us know how he gets on!!! We are taking the kids to Wet n Wild today on the gold coast...........sorry to those of you still in the UK!!!! The weather here is good - something to look forward to!!!!

Dodge OH
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi..Let us know how he gets on!!! We are taking the kids to Wet n Wild today on the gold coast...........sorry to those of you still in the UK!!!! The weather here is good - something to look forward to!!!!

Dodge OH
How was Wet and Wild? We drove by on our way to NSW - looked like a fun way to spend the day.

Dave's work went well. He is working with a lot of other contractors from different countries - so that's interesting. He said they are planning to hire 10 more contractors to get up to speed. Dave was tired after 2 days though. Between a new job, the commute of 2 hours, plus not having worked for 8 weeks - it was a lot. Good thing he only worked 2 days this week. We'll see how it goes next week.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Catherine

Who has been enjoying the inauguration process of Obama these last few days and in the days to come.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

How was Wet and Wild? We drove by on our way to NSW - looked like a fun way to spend the day.

Dave's work went well. He is working with a lot of other contractors from different countries - so that's interesting. He said they are planning to hire 10 more contractors to get up to speed. Dave was tired after 2 days though. Between a new job, the commute of 2 hours, plus not having worked for 8 weeks - it was a lot. Good thing he only worked 2 days this week. We'll see how it goes next week.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Catherine

Who has been enjoying the inauguration process of Obama these last few days and in the days to come.
Great to hear that it went well - yes I hope he survives this next week!! I have just got home and am just about to start getting ready for tomorrow...feeling nervous now!! Thanks for the Good Luck wishes.

Will let you know how I get on!!

Jo
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Just checking in with fellow April applicants!!

Congratulation to Caliburn and all of you that I have missed congratulating as we have been away in Perth for 2 and a half wks. Anyone who wishes to have a look on my facebook at my photos is welcome! Just pm me here and I'll add you!

We've also had some BRILLIANT news today (I feel like when we got the visa approvel actually!! A bit shakey!!) We've SOLD the HOUSE after 3 YEARS!!
I just haven't got a clue where we are going to live until we move to OZ!

Much love to everybody.........x
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snoo
Just checking in with fellow April applicants!!

Congratulation to Caliburn and all of you that I have missed congratulating as we have been away in Perth for 2 and a half wks. Anyone who wishes to have a look on my facebook at my photos is welcome! Just pm me here and I'll add you!

We've also had some BRILLIANT news today (I feel like when we got the visa approvel actually!! A bit shakey!!) We've SOLD the HOUSE after 3 YEARS!!
I just haven't got a clue where we are going to live until we move to OZ!

Much love to everybody.........x
Thanks snoo. CONGRATS on the sale. Quite an achievement in this market!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by caliburn
Thanks snoo. CONGRATS on the sale. Quite an achievement in this market!
Congratulations indeed on the sale - wish mine would sell!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.