Application of Australian Citizenship

Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

I was first granted PR in 1992 and left in 1995, my RRV expired in the late 90's. I returned for holidays in 2008 and 2009, and applied and was granted PR again, returning last year.

Some of the posts above suggest I can use the time I spent here as a PR from the 90's towards citizenship, but thats not how I read the DIAC website, can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Johnny that's not true - the absence has to have been less than 12 months and the total period including current visa four years.

Not convinced that the 131880 line would have clarified this for you Aly but interested to hear what they say.

Cheers,

George Lombard
OK, thanks George. I stand corrected
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at this thread I'm amazed that people don't realise just how authoritative Jeremy's citizenship opinions are. In my professional experience 99% of all DIAC case officers, registered migration agents and lawyers would know less about the Australian Citizenship Act that he does.

Mandy of course you can apply in March. I'm just sorry that you won't be approved before ANZAC Day, but in the meantime here's something to work on, perhaps you can perfect it by then: citizenship celebration.
OMG George I am totally gobsmacked!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:10 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
OMG George I am totally gobsmacked!!!!
Don't be gobsmacked, this time we want more than one ANZAC bikkie lol.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:02 am
Just Joined

woswwf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've read this thread and used the online residency calculator and it seems I meet the requirements for citizenship. However, I've also spoken to DIAC and they tell me that I don't yet meet the requirements.

My dates are:

Arrived on ETA - 14 Jun 2003
Departed on ETA - 02 Sep 2003

Arrived on 136 visa - 27 Oct 2007
(been in Australia since - apart from a 3 week holiday in UK)

When I enter the 'Lawful Residence Date' of 14 Jun 2003 into the calculator, it tells me I can apply as of today. DIAC says different (27 Oct 2011).

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woswwf
Hi all,

I've read this thread and used the online residency calculator and it seems I meet the requirements for citizenship. However, I've also spoken to DIAC and they tell me that I don't yet meet the requirements.

My dates are:

Arrived on ETA - 14 Jun 2003
Departed on ETA - 02 Sep 2003

Arrived on 136 visa - 27 Oct 2007
(been in Australia since - apart from a 3 week holiday in UK)

When I enter the 'Lawful Residence Date' of 14 Jun 2003 into the calculator, it tells me I can apply as of today. DIAC says different (27 Oct 2011).

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Read Post 38 of this thread and it's accompanying document. If you were to apply today, then 4 years ago you would needed to have held a validated visa irrespective of whether you were in or out of Australia. But looks as though you held No visa 4 years ago today. I've pulled out what I think is relevant from that document, have a read. So they way I read it is that you can apply 27 Oct 2011 assuming you meet the other requirements

Example
Calculation of the 4-year lawful residence period when a person has been absent from
Australia on the day 4 years immediately before applying
If a person’s first arrival in Australia is less than 4 years before they apply for citizenship, they cannot
meet the general residence requirement, even if they spend 3 years continuously in Australia.
The start date of the 4-year lawful residence period is usually the date 4 years immediately before they
lodge their application. However, if the person has not made their first entry into Australia, they need
to wait at least 4 years after their first entry to meet this requirement.
Where a person was outside Australia on the day 4 years immediately before applying, but had
previously been in Australia, they may still use the day 4-years immediately before applying as a start
date, providing that on that day they held visa which was granted in Australia, or which was granted
offshore and the person had entered Australia on that visa.
If these conditions are met, then the person may use the full 4 year period immediately before
applying towards meeting the general residence requirement.
Example
Mr Smith entered Australia on 01/01/2004 on a subclass 457 visa. He departs a week later, and reenters
on 01/01/2006 on the same subclass 457 visa. He remains in Australia, becomes a permanent
resident on 01/01/2008 and applies for citizenship on 01/01/2009.
Mr Smith’s 4-year lawful period starts on 01/01/2005 (4 years before applying) because although he
was outside Australia on this date, he was previously in Australia and was still the holder s/c 457 visa.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnye
Read Post 38 of this thread and it's accompanying document. If you were to apply today, then 4 years ago you would needed to have held a validated visa irrespective of whether you were in or out of Australia. But looks as though you held No visa 4 years ago today. I've pulled out what I think is relevant from that document, have a read. So they way I read it is that you can apply 27 Oct 2011 assuming you meet the other requirements

Example
Calculation of the 4-year lawful residence period when a person has been absent from
Australia on the day 4 years immediately before applying
If a person’s first arrival in Australia is less than 4 years before they apply for citizenship, they cannot
meet the general residence requirement, even if they spend 3 years continuously in Australia.
The start date of the 4-year lawful residence period is usually the date 4 years immediately before they
lodge their application. However, if the person has not made their first entry into Australia, they need
to wait at least 4 years after their first entry to meet this requirement.
Where a person was outside Australia on the day 4 years immediately before applying, but had
previously been in Australia, they may still use the day 4-years immediately before applying as a start
date, providing that on that day they held visa which was granted in Australia, or which was granted
offshore and the person had entered Australia on that visa.
If these conditions are met, then the person may use the full 4 year period immediately before
applying towards meeting the general residence requirement.
Example
Mr Smith entered Australia on 01/01/2004 on a subclass 457 visa. He departs a week later, and reenters
on 01/01/2006 on the same subclass 457 visa. He remains in Australia, becomes a permanent
resident on 01/01/2008 and applies for citizenship on 01/01/2009.
Mr Smith’s 4-year lawful period starts on 01/01/2005 (4 years before applying) because although he
was outside Australia on this date, he was previously in Australia and was still the holder s/c 457 visa.
Thanks Johnny - that makes sense now.

I was a little confused that the online calculator said I could apply today with those dates but it's likely I've mis-interpreted some of the terms it uses.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Johnny - that makes sense now.

I was a little confused that the online calculator said I could apply today with those dates but it's likely I've mis-interpreted some of the terms it uses.

Thanks again for the reply.
So in your case your lawful residence date is 27 Oct 2007. See the text below on how to determine it. If you put this into the calc it says re-apply on 27-Oct-2011

All periods of lawful residence in Australia, such as temporary visas, visitor visas, student visas, all
classes of bridging visas etc, are taken into account when calculating the four year lawful residence
period.

A person is lawful if they hold a visa that is in effect.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Read Post 38 of this thread
and then go on to read post 41. If Jeremy doesn't agree that the guidance provided by DIAC is in accordance with the law, I'd go with Jeremy's view. It depends on how important the timing is to you as to how far you want to push it though....
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

I have a opinion .I wish I can say this.from my understanding your visa got to be validated then the clock starts.from then you have to live in Australia for 4 years. In that 4 years of time you can be away from Aussie for 12 months.so Jaj you are partly right but it's not three years of continous residence.it's 4 years but you can be away from Aussie for 12 months to satisfy the residence req. For example I enter Aussie for validation on 1 Jan 2010 then I make my move to Aussie permanently on 1 Jan 2011 then I m eligible for citizenship on 1 Jan 2014.
Another scenario I enter for validation on 1 Jan 2010 I live there until 1 Jan 2011 then I left Aussie for 12 months and back again on 1 Jan 2012 then on 1 Jan 2014 I can apply for citizenship
This is what the act says
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be gobsmacked, this time we want more than one ANZAC bikkie lol.

Cheers,

George Lombard
This time around my dear you can 101 of the beautiful bikkies!!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at this thread I'm amazed that people don't realise just how authoritative Jeremy's citizenship opinions are. In my professional experience 99% of all DIAC case officers, registered migration agents and lawyers would know less about the Australian Citizenship Act that he does.
Originally Posted by louie
and then go on to read post 41. If Jeremy doesn't agree that the guidance provided by DIAC is in accordance with the law, I'd go with Jeremy's view. It depends on how important the timing is to you as to how far you want to push it though....
The view of Jeremy (JAJ) is also not necessarily the correct interpretation of the law, as previously mentioned by himself in this thread:
Originally Posted by JAJ
Now, a court might say that the term "absence" implies just that. On the other hand, it might not. It could well confirm that the residence requirement is really a "3 years in 4" requirement.

Bottom line in all of this is that if someone was refused citizenship after 3 years continuous presence in Australia (with 12 months as PR) they would have a good case before the AAT. Nothing guaranteed, but a good case.
Now this does depend on different examples of absence, and the grey area surrounding the absence won't matter to a lot of people intending on applying for citizenship. Also something else mentioned by JAJ should be considered:
Originally Posted by JAJ
Problem is that going to the AAT takes time as well as money, for 99% of people it will be simpler to wait the extra few months.
The question should be, are you wanting to potentially risk being refused and maybe taking it to tribunal for the sake of a few months when you could wait a few months and would be sure to meet residency requirements?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roaringmouse

The question should be, are you wanting to potentially risk being refused and maybe taking it to tribunal for the sake of a few months when you could wait a few months and would be sure to meet residency requirements?
No, certainly in my case, I wouldn't go to a tribunal. I'm of course planning to be in Australia permanently anyway, so an extra few months is of no concern.

However, whilst understanding that the residence calculator is only intended as a guide, I do believe the 'Lawful Residence Date' is confusing. Thanks to Johnny and others, I now understand the 'small print'.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

No, certainly in my case, I wouldn't go to a tribunal. I'm of course planning to be in Australia permanently anyway, so an extra few months is of no concern.
Exactly, for most people it shouldn't matter waiting for a few months to make sure - if they intend on staying in Australia permanently.

Of course for those needing to travel or be outside Australia for an extended period (e.g. family illness or work requirement) then it may be a different case and become difficult, particularly if a 5 year RRV is also difficult to obtain.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The dates you have are similar to mine. I will be applying on 22 mar 2011

Hey Johnnye did you get your application sorted today?? Please keep me informed as if this info is correct (which i am told over and over again it is) then we can apply next week too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.