Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 3rd 2015, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Spreadsheet updated, good luck with your landing!
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

vinem is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Hello All,

Did flagpoling today at Peace bridge Niagara. 15 mins at US crossing for Administrative Refusal + 15 minutes at CBSA office.

Once again, Thank you the Admins - The timeline and the FAQ helped a lot right from the beginning to end.

Good luck all who are waiting -

Vinem.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Wizardoffire is an unknown quantity at this point

COPR arrived in the post in a very poor condition... envelope was sodden and the documents themselves are rather damp.

There is a little bit of staining but from what I can tell there is no damage to the actual information. Sounds crazy but this shouldnt be an issue unless the ink or something is illegible?
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrisco87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone!

Seeing that my husband will most likely not get his PR before his visitor status expires (January 12th), we will have to apply to prolongate his visitor status.

I am wondering, can you do it twice? We have already applied this summer to prolongate it, and it has been approved for him to stay another 6 months, until January 12th 2016. I would rather we can apply online again instead of having to leave the country.

Also, just to confirm, it says on the website that the delay to treat this requet of of 146 days, but you get an implicit status while you wait right? So you're not illegally in Canada?

Thank you very much and congratulations to everyone who got COPR!

Andrew, I guess we're the oldest waiting here now hehe!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wizardoffire
COPR arrived in the post in a very poor condition... envelope was sodden and the documents themselves are rather damp.

There is a little bit of staining but from what I can tell there is no damage to the actual information. Sounds crazy but this shouldnt be an issue unless the ink or something is illegible?

Spreadsheet updated, sorry to hear your COPR arrived a little worse for wear. I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but Good luck with your landing
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Wizardoffire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisco87
Hello everyone!

Seeing that my husband will most likely not get his PR before his visitor status expires (January 12th), we will have to apply to prolongate his visitor status.

I am wondering, can you do it twice? We have already applied this summer to prolongate it, and it has been approved for him to stay another 6 months, until January 12th 2016. I would rather we can apply online again instead of having to leave the country.

Also, just to confirm, it says on the website that the delay to treat this requet of of 146 days, but you get an implicit status while you wait right? So you're not illegally in Canada?

Yeah that is correct, I had to reapply as things werent looking promising, fingers crossed all of a sudden it suddenly comes through.
Kinda sods law for me... had I left it to chance would still be waiting but better safe than sorry, though the decision is still pending regarding the visitor extension
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisco87
Hello everyone!

Hello, I extended my visitor permit around 3 or 4 times with no issues. I just mentioned that I had a Spousal PR in progress. (not sure if that helped but that's what I did)

You get 'Implied' status when your current permit expires, as long as you submitted your extension request before the expiration of the current visitor permit. So yes, you remain legal in Canada on 'Implied' status
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

chrisco87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
Hello, I extended my visitor permit around 3 or 4 times with no issues. I just mentioned that I had a Spousal PR in progress. (not sure if that helped but that's what I did)

You get 'Implied' status when your current permit expires, as long as you submitted your extension request before the expiration of the current visitor permit. So yes, you remain legal in Canada on 'Implied' status
Thank you !
Old Dec 4th 2015, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bromelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

So my fiancé and I are thinking of going to flagpole tomorrow, now that I have my COPR.

I have looked on the forum to see if I can find the answers to my questions but I cannot (or I am just being blind, most probably the latter):

- I am in Vancouver, so can we go the airport to flagpole or does this have to be at one of the crossings so via land?
- do you get your SIN there and then, or can that wait until January? I was told by one person it takes 6 weeks to process, then someone else told me only a few days. Which is more accurate? Is there a certain amount of time you have to get your SIN after landing?
- how long until you can enjoy medical cover here once you obtain your SIN? I still have private medical coverage but would sooner stop having to pay that now I am a resident and can be put on my fiancé's medical plan 's it is very $$$
- I will take my PR app (copy of), PR letter; anything else?
- what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Skyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond reputeSkyva has a reputation beyond repute

Bromelia,

I hope to be in the same position in the next months, I live in Duncan on Vancouver Island. I am sure that you will need to go to the US border crossing at Point Roberts or White Rock for flagpoling. You have to enter Canada and you cannot do that at the airport.

Can't help with your other questions, but am interested in the answers!

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you need to go to a border. You cannot do this at the airport unless you are flying in from overseas (so not on the float plane from Vancouver Island!)

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 4th 2015 at 9:54 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromelia
Hey,

So my fiancé and I are thinking of going to flagpole tomorrow, now that I have my COPR.

I have looked on the forum to see if I can find the answers to my questions but I cannot (or I am just being blind, most probably the latter):

- I am in Vancouver, so can we go the airport to flagpole or does this have to be at one of the crossings so via land?
- do you get your SIN there and then, or can that wait until January? I was told by one person it takes 6 weeks to process, then someone else told me only a few days. Which is more accurate? Is there a certain amount of time you have to get your SIN after landing?
- how long until you can enjoy medical cover here once you obtain your SIN? I still have private medical coverage but would sooner stop having to pay that now I am a resident and can be put on my fiancé's medical plan 's it is very $$$
- I will take my PR app (copy of), PR letter; anything else?
- what kind of questions do they ask?

Thanks guys!
You cannot 'land' at the airport unless you leave Canada and fly in. If you were an 'inland' applicant, you could make an appointment at your local CIC office, or alternatively you can take a trip over the the US for a day or you can flagpole. Trip around the flagpole-Canada : British Expat Wiki

You apply at Service Canada for your SIN Card - you will be given the number and the card will arrive in a few weeks. Social Insurance Number-Canada : British Expat Wiki / How do I apply for a SIN, obtain a confirmation of my SIN, or amend my SIN record (e.g., a name change)? - Service Canada

Your PR card will take about 8 weeks to arrive, so you will need to give your address in Canada for it to be delivered.

Don't lose your COPR - you will need it for pension and Citizenship!

BC Healthcare website will give you the info you need - or you can look here: Welcome BC - Healthcare

The letter you received with your COPR should tell you what information/documentation you need to have with you but there's some information here: Prepare for arrival – Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

Don't forget your 'Goods to Follow' list if you are planning on shipping any good over!

HTH's and congrats on getting COPR!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 4th 2015 at 10:26 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:14 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You cannot 'land' at the airport unless you leave Canada and fly in. If you were an 'inland' applicant, you could make an appointment at your local CIC office, or alternatively you can take a trip over the the US for a day or you can flagpole. Trip around the flagpole-Canada : British Expat Wiki

You apply at Service Canada for your SIN Card - you will be given the number and the card will arrive in a few weeks. Social Insurance Number-Canada : British Expat Wiki / How do I apply for a SIN, obtain a confirmation of my SIN, or amend my SIN record (e.g., a name change)? - Service Canada

Your PR card will take about 8 weeks to arrive, so you will need to give your address in Canada for it to be delivered.

Don't lose your COPR - you will need it for pension and Citizenship!

BC Healthcare website will give you the info you need - or you can look here: Welcome BC - Healthcare

The letter you received with your COPR should tell you what information/documentation you need to have with you but there's some information here: Prepare for arrival – Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

Don't forget your 'Goods to Follow' list if you are planning on shipping any good over!

HTH's and congrats on getting COPR!

1. SIN cards are no long issued, you are only given the number.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. SIN cards are no long issued, you are only given the number.
Thanks PMM, I had forgotten that.

Old Dec 5th 2015, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Annemarie_Edinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on our landing. We got my husband's COPR all the way back in July but only arrived in Canada this week. We flew in from Europe, with a connecting flight in Toronto. The line was crazy long at immigration but when we got to the front the paperwork was super-fast. We then had to go through customs with our goods to follow lists - no line there and pretty quick service. In retrospect, we should have completed two of the customs forms instead of putting the whole family on the one - that way my husband could have gone and done the landing business while I took care of the luggage and customs with our exhausted toddler. All in all a smooth experience and I am so thankful for all of the information on this board that helped us have all of the right paperwork! Now to get down to preparing for a proper winter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.