Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Wikiposts

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 10th 2015, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Congratulations, spreadsheet updated. That is your DM.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

pauc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andrew.

Also thank you to yourself and Schnooks for maintaining the sheet and being a calming voice of advice in here. This process has lots of potential panicky moments and this forum was a great help to me and I'm certain to many others.

I'll post again when the COPR arrives.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
I checked ECAS 45 minutes ago and boom, decision made!!
At Last!! Congratulations : )))
Old Dec 10th 2015, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Friday all,
I have a dilemma and need some advice. I had booked to move to Canada before Christmas, on dual intent. The house finally sold (exchanged yesterday to complete next week), Ticket booked....
Then, this week we got DM on ECAS. Now, I'm leaving my address next Friday and moving into a short-stay place for a few days before flying. The letter with the decision will probably not arrive before I leave. Should I go on ECAS and change my address now to my Canadian address? Also, without the decision letter, I won't be able to 'land' and will still have to go as dual intent, right? I would like to take 3 pieces of furniture with me but with dual intent, that might seem presumptuous to Canadian authorities. I don't want to go and come back. Don't know how to get the letter before I go. Can't cancel my booking as it's non-refundable and I desperately want to spend Christmas with my partner and my step-daughters. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Crayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, not sure where to ask about this and if I understand this correctly.

we are planning to move permanently in 2017 and applying for spousal sponsorship early next year, I can see in wiki that we have year from medical to activate PR and do landing trip if I understand correct? or is it year to move to Canada?

I was stupidly thinking we can just do it all at once but it seem like you have to fly one time before you can settle or am I understanding it wrong?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crayon
Hi, not sure where to ask about this and if I understand this correctly.

we are planning to move permanently in 2017 and applying for spousal sponsorship early next year, I can see in wiki that we have year from medical to activate PR and do landing trip if I understand correct? or is it year to move to Canada?

I was stupidly thinking we can just do it all at once but it seem like you have to fly one time before you can settle or am I understanding it wrong?
Basically you submit the application and have the medical done. CIC process the application and then issue COPR forms. The COPR is valid for up to 1 year or less depending on when the medical expires (12 months after result) or sooner if passport expires within that 12 months. Some get several months to land others get weeks but you must land before the COPR expires.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically you submit the application and have the medical done. CIC process the application and then issue COPR forms. The COPR is valid for up to 1 year or less depending on when the medical expires (12 months after result) or sooner if passport expires within that 12 months. Some get several months to land others get weeks but you must land before the COPR expires.
To add to this info you can land, activate your PR and then temporarily return to the UK if you are not yet ready to permanently move. So yes there may be a need for two trips depending on your timing. If you plan to move in 2017 I would get your paperwork sorted asap as it can easily take a year to process. In my case I had to redo my medical as the 12 months was up before they had finalised my application.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mine2
Happy Friday all,
I have a dilemma and need some advice. I had booked to move to Canada before Christmas, on dual intent. The house finally sold (exchanged yesterday to complete next week), Ticket booked....
Then, this week we got DM on ECAS. Now, I'm leaving my address next Friday and moving into a short-stay place for a few days before flying. The letter with the decision will probably not arrive before I leave. Should I go on ECAS and change my address now to my Canadian address? Also, without the decision letter, I won't be able to 'land' and will still have to go as dual intent, right? I would like to take 3 pieces of furniture with me but with dual intent, that might seem presumptuous to Canadian authorities. I don't want to go and come back. Don't know how to get the letter before I go. Can't cancel my booking as it's non-refundable and I desperately want to spend Christmas with my partner and my step-daughters. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Hi - Thats very frustrating timing for you but congrats on your DM, at least you have the knowledge that your PR is in the bag so to speak! If i was in your position I would try sending a case specific email to CIC explaining your situation. I would probably also set up a re-direction service on your house postal address, you can do this with royal mail, to a friend or relatives place in the UK, incase the COPR is posted before CiC update your address details. You should also inform them of your Canadian address to take effect from the date you will actually be there.
In the event of your COPR arriving in the UK after you leave perhaps organise someone to send to Canada for you.

Without the COPR you will have to land as dual intent, i wouldn't worry too much about this, take a screen shot of the DM on CiC and all other paperwork. The officials at the airport are well used to this. You enter as dual intent and then when you receive your COPR you can activate it at the border.

I hope this helps and best of luck!
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Mine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond reputeMine2 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Decisive Moment,
the only thing about redirecting my mail to an address in UK is that apparently the COPR letter needs to be signed for. I think I'll change my address on ECAS to my Canadian address and take a print out showing 'DM'.

thanks for the advice
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mine2
thanks Decisive Moment,
the only thing about redirecting my mail to an address in UK is that apparently the COPR letter needs to be signed for. I think I'll change my address on ECAS to my Canadian address and take a print out showing 'DM'.

thanks for the advice
hi - your correct it does need to be signed for, although its only royal mail so i don't think it would matter who signed for it. The issue might be that it takes CiC a while to update your address in their system. I would still advise emailing them with your situation.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:45 am
Just Joined

simbradley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, congrats to those of you who have been granted!

I have now moved to Quebec under Dual Intent, and it is so good to be here!
The process at the airport was surprisingly simple - I arrived with two copies of all the relevant paperwork and proof, then the guy just looked at the Sponsor Approval form, asked if I was going to work and when my flight back to the UK is, and said 'Welcome to Canada!'

Then the Quebec CSQ certificate came through last week, so things are moving well.

I've sent a message to CIC to change my address while waiting for PR.
Now hopefully the weather will change and bring some snow ready for Christmas!
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simbradley
hahaha - you may be eating your words soon!!
Old Dec 11th 2015, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simbradley
Hi everyone, congrats to those of you who have been granted!

I have now moved to Quebec under Dual Intent, and it is so good to be here!
The process at the airport was surprisingly simple - I arrived with two copies of all the relevant paperwork and proof, then the guy just looked at the Sponsor Approval form, asked if I was going to work and when my flight back to the UK is, and said 'Welcome to Canada!'

Then the Quebec CSQ certificate came through last week, so things are moving well.

I've sent a message to CIC to change my address while waiting for PR.

Did you change your address online Simbradley? Looking on CIC, it says if you applied outside Canada you have to notify the Visa office of change of address.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Crayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Originally Posted by Decisive moment
To add to this info you can land, activate your PR and then temporarily return to the UK if you are not yet ready to permanently move. So yes there may be a need for two trips depending on your timing. If you plan to move in 2017 I would get your paperwork sorted asap as it can easily take a year to process. In my case I had to redo my medical as the 12 months was up before they had finalised my application.
Thanks for replies, looks like it will cost much more than I thought to submit application lol 😎
Want to submit asap but at the same time I keep thinking maybe we should wait because otherwise I have half of documents in maiden name still wanted to contact cic to ask about that but doesn't seem like they have any email address to ask questions 😭
Old Dec 11th 2015, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Bromelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by williamceri
Hi Bromelia,

Can I ask where you got your private medical cover and how much it was?
I am in the UK and plan to leave next week for dual intent and still have to get some medical cover for the first 3 months.

The private health cover I have is with William Russell. They're UK-based and cater to expats. I've been with them since 2010 as I was on my ex-company's policy as I travelled with work. Once I left my ex-company I took out my own individual policy. I used to be on a silver plan with work but these days I can only afford a bronze plan. This just covers the mere essentials (i.e. emergency, not well-being). It's a pretty extortionate 90 something GBP. When I hit 35 a couple of years ago they upped my premium. While they're not the cheapest I hear they're mid-range and offer pretty decent cover. I was going to go with a cheaper company but then wondered what I would be jeopardizing in terms of decent cover. Better the devil you know and all that. Still, now that my
COPR is here I look forward to having cover in Canada and nigh on 200 bucks burning a hole in my pocket each month.

Hope this helps .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.