Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:39 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
There is no longer a "student" or "non-student" permit. It is all under the same umbrella and allows everyone to repeat twice
Can't let this slip without correcting it (some people scour these forums and accept everything at literal face value). You can repeat once, and you can participate for a maximum of two years (as far as I know through my own application). Repeating it twice would give you 3 years, which is not possible under the IEC scheme.

Not being a jerk, but I know a lot of people base all their hopes on stuff like this so, just wanted to clarify in case anyone digs through this thread in a few months and gets all excited and starts firing off a million PMs to you to find out how to get 3 years! Spot on about the student and non student stuff though.

Originally Posted by Third6
I emailed them last night asking about cancelling. Bunac have ripped us all off. I remember when the IEC programme first opened and Bunac kept tell everyone to apply by the end of the week because permits were running out. This now middle of March and there's still permits available....they're full of wrong information. They're a scam, plain and simple.
I don't think that is entirely fair. BUNAC have been doing this for quite a while, and they weren't lying to you regarding the information they gave you - as what they were saying was based on a case of best-guessing, and I was in the same camp they were in. Work Canada visas for non students went in a matter of two or three days (if they lasted that long!). With the student/non student definition gone, there was definitely reasonable scope for them to believe that these new visas would sell out very fast as well. From the way that the embassy are cutting BUNAC off, I strongly doubt they were giving BUNAC updates on how the applications non-BUNAC were going. Plus, under the old BUNAC-only system you had a visa reserved as soon as you originally signed up with BUNAC and paid your money - under the new IEC scheme, no one knows when the visa is properly reserved (probably at the payment stage if when you 'know' you have one reserved).

I'm not an all out defender of BUNAC - and I think the benefits of their SWAP office are somewhat overrated (I used them to get my SIN card, and had a brief look over their job boards - but in truth it is mostly Craigslist adverts printed off). They do have free to use computers with the internet, and printers, which is very handy for newcomers, but there are plenty of libraries and internet cafes, so this isn't completely essential for the money.

That said, if anyone is canceling their BUNAC membership/went alone, and experience any questions or anything when coming out here (specifically looking at people coming over to Vancouver really, as I've never experienced the city of Toronto), they are more than welcome to get in touch with me (via PM or whatever), and I will try to give as much advice as possible. The SWAP office definitely isn't the mecca for BUNAC users I thought it would be - and the staff have to deal with knowing protocol for different nationalities, and backpackers as it operates for all international programs.

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Yeah. Flew on a one way ticket... The guy at immigration didn't ask to see my insurance or proof of funds. My hostel is booked until friday, after which I need to find another one. I'll look into the one you stayed at. I know where Gerrard is... I'll go and look around... If i'm still in toronto when you get here, we'll go for a beer mate.

I've met a canadian lady who is insanely friendly... She's been telling me where all the bargains are and where to go out. She just saved me at least $200 on a laptop.
Super glad you're enjoying yourself man! Always helpful when the locals make you feel welcome as well. Good luck with the job/hostel hunt - but it sounds like you are doing awesomely! You'd still be stuck on a bus if coming to the West Coast right? Urgh!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Super glad you're enjoying yourself man! Always helpful when the locals make you feel welcome as well. Good luck with the job/hostel hunt - but it sounds like you are doing awesomely! You'd still be stuck on a bus if coming to the West Coast right? Urgh!
I know... What a nightmare that would have been. Will still probably see vancouver at some point, but I was kinda blown away when i arrived in toronto. It is bloody cold here though... And that's coming from a scotsman.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Galacticos is an unknown quantity at this point

On an IEC work permit, are we allowed to get a visitors permit to enter the USA?? I ask because i have a few relatives in Ohio, and it would be nice if i had the option of going to visit potentially.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Galacticos
On an IEC work permit, are we allowed to get a visitors permit to enter the USA?? I ask because i have a few relatives in Ohio, and it would be nice if i had the option of going to visit potentially.
Yes. You can go on the vwp (visa waiver programme)... I think i read that it costs $6 and lasts upto 90 days. Apparently, it's easier to go by land. Should be cheaper too.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:08 am
Just Joined

superhans is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, as one of the stragglers, here's my progress so far:

1st March - Sent application to Paris
7th March - Acknowledgement of receipt
9th March - Conditional acceptance
10th March - Paid fee
10th March - Receipt of proof payment
11th March - Sent to London

So I guess I'm now in for at least a few weeks of nail biting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Little Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

I know... What a nightmare that would have been. Will still probably see vancouver at some point, but I was kinda blown away when i arrived in toronto. It is bloody cold here though... And that's coming from a scotsman.
Lol, I was going to ask you about the weather. I bet the windchill is quite a shock. Glad you're having a great time though! Keep us posted.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:25 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by superhans

10th March - Paid fee

So I guess I'm now in for at least a few weeks of nail biting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Yup, there will be a little nail biting - although it seems that almost all of the applications going to London get approved. You've probably got about 4 weeks to wait, if the current average times on here are anything to go by.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Blue
Lol, I was going to ask you about the weather. I bet the windchill is quite a shock. Glad you're having a great time though! Keep us posted.
The weather in Toronto over the past few days has been much like the Uk, lots of Rain bmjust Much colder ha. Youl find it's def started to warm up here now, there's days now and then when it actually hits +1 or 2!! However when you get the windy days it's super chilly!!

In terms of jobs, search on kijiji, alot of jobs on there updated every few minutes.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Little Blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
The weather in Toronto over the past few days has been much like the Uk, lots of Rain bmjust Much colder ha. Youl find it's def started to warm up here now, there's days now and then when it actually hits +1 or 2!! However when you get the windy days it's super chilly!!

In terms of jobs, search on kijiji, alot of jobs on there updated every few minutes.
Sounds like spring is arriving. I'm hoping to go into May/June time so I'll buy some winter clothing whilst there. Saves a lot of room in my case if anything lol.

How cold DOES it get during winter. I've heard horror stories but I feel that they may have been exaggerated somewhat.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

I think the worst of it is due to the wider streets. In glasgow, where the streets are narower, you have a lot of cover from the buildings. A canadian girl at the hostel created the term "snaining" (i.e rain+snow). When you have that light snow that melts before it hits the ground. Annoying when you walk down a long street for about 2 miles and it's "snaining" in your face.

EDIT: just googled snaining... Turns out it's nothing new.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by superhans

10th March - Paid fee

Ur exactly the same as me Date wise...... Hmmmmm i wonder who will get their's first. Lets keep a note of tht and msg when we get the all important LOI

Biting my nails with u
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like spring is arriving. I'm hoping to go into May/June time so I'll buy some winter clothing whilst there. Saves a lot of room in my case if anything lol.

How cold DOES it get during winter. I've heard horror stories but I feel that they may have been exaggerated somewhat.
Well i was over in Toronto back end of Jan and it was snowing.....

In doors its not bad thanks to a great heating system, but outside is freezing if you stand still.... Keep on the move and you should be ok. My only other advice would be cover your mouth with a scarf cuz breathing in that sub zero air is what will make you ill..... I got back over a month ago, and i still have a cough which i know happened as a result of frozen air possibley stuck deep within my lungs
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Can't let this slip without correcting it (some people scour these forums and accept everything at literal face value). You can repeat once, and you can participate for a maximum of two years (as far as I know through my own application). Repeating it twice would give you 3 years, which is not possible under the IEC scheme.

Not being a jerk, but I know a lot of people base all their hopes on stuff like this so, just wanted to clarify in case anyone digs through this thread in a few months and gets all excited and starts firing off a million PMs to you to find out how to get 3 years! Spot on about the student and non student stuff though.

I don't think that is entirely fair. BUNAC have been doing this for quite a while, and they weren't lying to you regarding the information they gave you - as what they were saying was based on a case of best-guessing, and I was in the same camp they were in. Work Canada visas for non students went in a matter of two or three days (if they lasted that long!). With the student/non student definition gone, there was definitely reasonable scope for them to believe that these new visas would sell out very fast as well. From the way that the embassy are cutting BUNAC off, I strongly doubt they were giving BUNAC updates on how the applications non-BUNAC were going. Plus, under the old BUNAC-only system you had a visa reserved as soon as you originally signed up with BUNAC and paid your money - under the new IEC scheme, no one knows when the visa is properly reserved (probably at the payment stage if when you 'know' you have one reserved).

I'm not an all out defender of BUNAC - and I think the benefits of their SWAP office are somewhat overrated (I used them to get my SIN card, and had a brief look over their job boards - but in truth it is mostly Craigslist adverts printed off). They do have free to use computers with the internet, and printers, which is very handy for newcomers, but there are plenty of libraries and internet cafes, so this isn't completely essential for the money.

That said, if anyone is canceling their BUNAC membership/went alone, and experience any questions or anything when coming out here (specifically looking at people coming over to Vancouver really, as I've never experienced the city of Toronto), they are more than welcome to get in touch with me (via PM or whatever), and I will try to give as much advice as possible. The SWAP office definitely isn't the mecca for BUNAC users I thought it would be - and the staff have to deal with knowing protocol for different nationalities, and backpackers as it operates for all international programs.

In regards to BUNAC, they gave me wrong information regarding POF and told me to look on other websites for information which I can easily do for free. So they did give me wrong information, if I'm paying a company £250 I don't want "best guessing". In fact, I asked them a question and they told me they were contacting IEC to find out and just never got back to me. When I've phoned them they've been ver rude and dismissive, like I'm bothering them by phoning them.

That's great that you've had a good experience with them and have found them useful but I can't say the same for myself.

Last edited by Third6; Mar 12th 2011 at 9:56 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Yes. You can go on the vwp (visa waiver programme)... I think i read that it costs $6 and lasts upto 90 days. Apparently, it's easier to go by land. Should be cheaper too.
Yeah, it's easy to pop over to the US - if going by air, you just need to apply for an ESTA online in advance (just google ESTA and apply through the official US Gov't website) - it costs $14 (I think) and lasts for 90 days. Without this they won't let you in!

If going by land, you don't need an ESTA in advance, but you will have to apply for the standard US Visa Waiver using the green form at the border. Still lasts 90 days and I think the cost is the same when I did this last year.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:43 am
Just Joined

David K. Barnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Never used this forum before so a first timer here!

I am very interested in applying for the IEC scheme. I'd love to go to Canada in September after I've finished with my work at the Edinburgh Fringe and live and work in Canada for a year. I also have a friend who lives in Toronto who has offered me a place to stay for the year, so finding accomodation won't be a problem.

I registered at the IEC site and had the personalised application form sent to me. However, I have yet to actually send it off as I had to weigh up various options over the past month.

I'm wondering: is it probably too late for me to apply now? The website doesn't specifically say places have run out but wondered whether it's worth my while at this stage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.