Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by David K. Barnes
Never used this forum before so a first timer here!

I am very interested in applying for the IEC scheme. I'd love to go to Canada in September after I've finished with my work at the Edinburgh Fringe and live and work in Canada for a year. I also have a friend who lives in Toronto who has offered me a place to stay for the year, so finding accomodation won't be a problem.

I registered at the IEC site and had the personalised application form sent to me. However, I have yet to actually send it off as I had to weigh up various options over the past month.

I'm wondering: is it probably too late for me to apply now? The website doesn't specifically say places have run out but wondered whether it's worth my while at this stage?
I'd say go for it man. Nothing to lose by applying.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:21 am
Just Joined

David K. Barnes is an unknown quantity at this point

But I also would need to get this police form thing and the bank to stamp whatnot. I'm not quite sure how much time it'll take to get everything sorted before I can even submit an application, added to which I don't know the total cost of everything. Initial application payment, police form check, I need about £2000 in the account to prove I can live there, and then there's travel/medical insurance and the flight itself... I'm an ex Classics student living off an overdraft and so far unable to find work despite best efforts. Might be able to get family to help out with costs and maybe get a bank loan but otherwise not sure if it's worth my while applying...

I've read that you can secure a visa placement via Bunac (with the heftier £250 fee) giving time to sort out forms. Is this true?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

Need some advice....my fiance and I want to apply for the International Experience programme, to depart in Jan 2012.

We are getting married in September 2011 and basically need to know:
If we apply for the visa now - our marital status will be single. However, come September our marital status will change.
I'm trying to find out whether this will invalidate the visa.
I can't find any information on the High Commision website, it just says to put your current marital status at time of application. But I'm sure I read somewhere else, that any changes may invalidate your visa.
I have emailed the High Commission, but a month has passed and I've yet to receive a reply.
There doesn't seem to be any telephone contact details...

Would be very grateful if anyone knows anything about this or has been in a similar situation.

Thank you
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Can't let this slip without correcting it (some people scour these forums and accept everything at literal face value). You can repeat once, and you can participate for a maximum of two years (as far as I know through my own application). Repeating it twice would give you 3 years, which is not possible under the IEC scheme.

Not being a jerk, but I know a lot of people base all their hopes on stuff like this so, just wanted to clarify in case anyone digs through this thread in a few months and gets all excited and starts firing off a million PMs to you to find out how to get 3 years! Spot on about the student and non student stuff though.

I don't think that is entirely fair. BUNAC have been doing this for quite a while, and they weren't lying to you regarding the information they gave you - as what they were saying was based on a case of best-guessing, and I was in the same camp they were in. Work Canada visas for non students went in a matter of two or three days (if they lasted that long!). With the student/non student definition gone, there was definitely reasonable scope for them to believe that these new visas would sell out very fast as well. From the way that the embassy are cutting BUNAC off, I strongly doubt they were giving BUNAC updates on how the applications non-BUNAC were going. Plus, under the old BUNAC-only system you had a visa reserved as soon as you originally signed up with BUNAC and paid your money - under the new IEC scheme, no one knows when the visa is properly reserved (probably at the payment stage if when you 'know' you have one reserved).

I'm not an all out defender of BUNAC - and I think the benefits of their SWAP office are somewhat overrated (I used them to get my SIN card, and had a brief look over their job boards - but in truth it is mostly Craigslist adverts printed off). They do have free to use computers with the internet, and printers, which is very handy for newcomers, but there are plenty of libraries and internet cafes, so this isn't completely essential for the money.

That said, if anyone is canceling their BUNAC membership/went alone, and experience any questions or anything when coming out here (specifically looking at people coming over to Vancouver really, as I've never experienced the city of Toronto), they are more than welcome to get in touch with me (via PM or whatever), and I will try to give as much advice as possible. The SWAP office definitely isn't the mecca for BUNAC users I thought it would be - and the staff have to deal with knowing protocol for different nationalities, and backpackers as it operates for all international programs.

Super glad you're enjoying yourself man! Always helpful when the locals make you feel welcome as well. Good luck with the job/hostel hunt - but it sounds like you are doing awesomely! You'd still be stuck on a bus if coming to the West Coast right? Urgh!
Thanks, I realised my mistake as soon as I posted but couldn't be bothered to edit
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherryj
Need some advice....my fiance and I want to apply for the International Experience programme, to depart in Jan 2012.

We are getting married in September 2011 and basically need to know:
If we apply for the visa now - our marital status will be single. However, come September our marital status will change.
I'm trying to find out whether this will invalidate the visa.
I can't find any information on the High Commision website, it just says to put your current marital status at time of application. But I'm sure I read somewhere else, that any changes may invalidate your visa.
I have emailed the High Commission, but a month has passed and I've yet to receive a reply.
There doesn't seem to be any telephone contact details...

Would be very grateful if anyone knows anything about this or has been in a similar situation.

Thank you
it wont invalidate the visa
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David K. Barnes
But I also would need to get this police form thing and the bank to stamp whatnot. I'm not quite sure how much time it'll take to get everything sorted before I can even submit an application, added to which I don't know the total cost of everything. Initial application payment, police form check, I need about £2000 in the account to prove I can live there, and then there's travel/medical insurance and the flight itself... I'm an ex Classics student living off an overdraft and so far unable to find work despite best efforts. Might be able to get family to help out with costs and maybe get a bank loan but otherwise not sure if it's worth my while applying...

I've read that you can secure a visa placement via Bunac (with the heftier £250 fee) giving time to sort out forms. Is this true?
no one knows how much time you will have before all of the visas run out (it is probably a matter of days or weeks rather than months though). You could always consider applying next year instead.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
no one knows how much time you will have before all of the visas run out (it is probably a matter of days or weeks rather than months though). You could always consider applying next year instead.
You say that... but when BUNAC had the exclusive rights to the permit in the past, they were still offering them 10 months after opening the scheme. Either way, I wouldn't be willing to risk that being the case this year
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
You say that... but when BUNAC had the exclusive rights to the permit in the past, they were still offering them 10 months after opening the scheme. Either way, I wouldn't be willing to risk that being the case this year
They weren't constantly available for the 10 months though. Last year, the non-student visas went in a matter of weeks after release in December - the student visas stayed open until early summer, then a batch of "returned visas" went back on sale in September.

No-one really knows how long these visas will last though as this is a new scheme - I'd say if you're in doubt, just get an application in. You have 12 months to decide if you want to actually use it or not, and the visa process itself will only cost around £100.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thrice87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Just cam across this site after looking for answers to this problem that I now have.

I have the conditional acceptance, and have made the wire transfer and have now uploaded the form. The problem is that I didn't put my DOB on there! and apparently that must be on there....I've sent an email to them via the contact form after attempting to upload again, but will they reject the application if it isn't on there? I'm really worried now
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Galacticos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thrice87
Hi guys,

Just cam across this site after looking for answers to this problem that I now have.

I have the conditional acceptance, and have made the wire transfer and have now uploaded the form. The problem is that I didn't put my DOB on there! and apparently that must be on there....I've sent an email to them via the contact form after attempting to upload again, but will they reject the application if it isn't on there? I'm really worried now
Why dont u just upload it again with ur DOB on it??
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Galacticos
Doesn't allow you to I'm afraid
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Did u get the email saying they confirmed that you sent it ??? Hopefully that shouldnt cause a problem, but keep your fingers crossed!!!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Did u get the email saying they confirmed that you sent it ??? Hopefully that shouldnt cause a problem, but keep your fingers crossed!!!
Yea I got the confirmation email. I'm sure that they'll not be too bothered by it. I've also used the contact form that they linked me to to send them my DOB so maybe they'll pick that up...
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thrice87
Yea I got the confirmation email. I'm sure that they'll not be too bothered by it. I've also used the contact form that they linked me to to send them my DOB so maybe they'll pick that up...
Yeah hopefully its just a Data Protection thing and they can by pass it.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:08 pm

techy2487 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superhans
Ok, as one of the stragglers, here's my progress so far:

1st March - Sent application to Paris
7th March - Acknowledgement of receipt
9th March - Conditional acceptance
10th March - Paid fee
10th March - Receipt of proof payment
11th March - Sent to London

So I guess I'm now in for at least a few weeks of nail biting. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Can anyone help me in relation to this.....

Hi guys
When you hear back of your conditional acceptance, how do they contact you? By email ? Or by post ?

Hope all is well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.