Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Yes... There was nothing on the website or on my policy document stating that a return journey was necessary. I think it's a given that when you're going away for a year, a return journey is impractical.

Nothing on my policy document suggests a return is needed. I'd prefer not to tempt fate and call them and ask them. I don't really care what they say. I've paid for my insurance and it doesn't say anywhere on my policy, so if they start getting funny with me, I'll have grounds for legal action against them.
A lot of companies do demand it. I haven't seen anything on the LV policy documents that says you need a return though, so you should be fine there I reckon.

LV is also a bit cheaper than Insure&Go for me but doesn't allow a temporary trip home, and I was looking to come back home for Christmas...

All this searching will be worth it in the end!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by mansfield250
everyone who is going on a one way ticket please post where your getting your insurance from!!!!

I called essentialtravel.co.uk but they said they cant do it!!! even though on the website it says they can?!?!?!

EDIT - CONGRATULATIONS to everyone getting their LOI cant wait to get to canada!!
Well, it looks like Insure&Go and LV are options - I've checked on the phone with I&G and they say it's fine, and the LV policy documents don't say anything about not having a return flight being a problem, so that should be ok I guess...

Last edited by Mr. Numbers; Mar 8th 2011 at 2:18 am. Reason: I don't make sense!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

kiis102 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not has my LOI yet but which insurance are people getting? I was looking @ the one Bunac was offering (cancelled my bunac membership though) which was about £550

Then looked @ Ace which is £210 for 12months but then people on here have been mentioning essentialtravel which is i think £65ish for 12months

Basically I'm planning to fly out start of August but then come back to the UK every 3months or so for a week then fly back out to another part of Canada, not sure what my plans will be but I'm hoping to try my hand at Skiing near the end of the 12months. Which policy would be best? I've basically no idea which one is best suited for me but I don't want to spend a silly amount
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

mansfield250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiis102
Not has my LOI yet but which insurance are people getting? I was looking @ the one Bunac was offering (cancelled my bunac membership though) which was about £550

Then looked @ Ace which is £210 for 12months but then people on here have been mentioning essentialtravel which is i think £65ish for 12months

Basically I'm planning to fly out start of August but then come back to the UK every 3months or so for a week then fly back out to another part of Canada, not sure what my plans will be but I'm hoping to try my hand at Skiing near the end of the 12months. Which policy would be best? I've basically no idea which one is best suited for me but I don't want to spend a silly amount
Make sure they cover you on a one-way ticket (if you are going out on a one way ticket) as i know essentialtravel will not cover you!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mansfield250
Make sure they cover you on a one-way ticket (if you are going out on a one way ticket) as i know essentialtravel will not cover you!
None of my flights will be one way though. My first flight will be about August 1st - October 20th so will def be a return ticket
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

None of my flights will be one way though. My first flight will be about August 1st - October 20th so will def be a return ticket
You may find that some sort of annual multi-trip policy may be best if you're planning to regularly come back a few times.

Some backpacker policies will allow you to pop back to the UK once during the policy, others not at all. If you get one of the policies that won't allow any trips home, you won't be insured from when you return to the UK for the first time, as they will count that as the end of your "journey".

Alternatively of course, you could just get separate single trip policies for each time you go to Canada...

Last edited by Mr. Numbers; Mar 8th 2011 at 3:42 am.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
You may find that some sort of annual multi-trip policy may be best if you're planning to regularly come back a few times.

Some backpacker policies will allow you to pop back to the UK once during the policy, others not at all. If you get one of the policies that won't allow any trips home, you won't be insured from when you return to the UK for the first time, as they will count that as the end of your "journey".
Does it have to be backpacker insurance? Was looking @ EssentialTravel's options.

Annual Multitrip with wintersports for 12months Superior option is £81.54
Annual backpacker with wintersports is £122.57

I was thinking the regular Multitrip insurance types would be ok?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

britishcobra is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternatively of course, you could just get separate single trip policies for each time you go to Canada...
Do you think that would be ok to do, getting separate single trip policies? If i get my LOI I would be also apply for PR after and I have to come home in november for my graduation but by then there is a SMALL chance id have my Permanent residency so I was thinking i'd just get insurance until november and then once i go back to canada a few weeks later if im still using the IEC visa then just book more insurance. I'm pretty sure this sounds as if its ok to do, but you never know
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have to be backpacker insurance? Was looking @ EssentialTravel's options.

Annual Multitrip with wintersports for 12months Superior option is £81.54
Annual backpacker with wintersports is £122.57

I was thinking the regular Multitrip insurance types would be ok?
There are normally restrictions as to how many days you can be away (without returning to the UK) and also on work.

Look into Gap year insurance instead.

Full list of all Gap Year insurance companies:

http://www.money.co.uk/travel-insura...-insurance.htm

This company offers up to 18 months: http://www.flexicover.co.uk/Gap_Year_Travel_Insurance

Whatever insurance company you use, make sure that you are covered whilst working in Canada and that it isn't just for "holidays", and also that you get winter sports cover for at least a couple of weeks.

Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
There are normally restrictions as to how many days you can be away (without returning to the UK) and also on work.

Look into Gap year insurance instead.

Full list of all Gap Year insurance companies:

http://www.money.co.uk/travel-insura...-insurance.htm

This company offers up to 18 months: http://www.flexicover.co.uk/Gap_Year_Travel_Insurance

Whatever insurance company you use, make sure that you are covered whilst working in Canada and that it isn't just for "holidays", and also that you get winter sports cover for at least a couple of weeks.

I think EssentialTravel is probably my best option, people have said they allow you to come back too, Superior option is £81.54 for 12months with WinterSports coverage too. Will def give them a bell providing I get my visa
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

I think EssentialTravel is probably my best option, people have said they allow you to come back too, Superior option is £81.54 for 12months with WinterSports coverage too. Will def give them a bell providing I get my visa
I'd be careful there though - ET's multi-trip policy allows only a maximum of 45 days for each trip to Canada, and I don't think it covers you for work either.

If you're looking to work (or looking to spend spells of over 45 days in Canada) then backpacker insurance may be a better option - if not though, then it may fit what you're looking for... Definitely check the small print before buying though - you know the companies will do if you ever have to make a claim!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishcobra
Do you think that would be ok to do, getting separate single trip policies? If i get my LOI I would be also apply for PR after and I have to come home in november for my graduation but by then there is a SMALL chance id have my Permanent residency so I was thinking i'd just get insurance until november and then once i go back to canada a few weeks later if im still using the IEC visa then just book more insurance. I'm pretty sure this sounds as if its ok to do, but you never know
I guess as long as it fits your needs (covers you for work/sports etc. if you need it) then I don't see why it would be a problem, particularly if you have your return flight booked for November.

Just reading the IEC instruction booklet again, it does specifically say that you need insurance "for the duration of your permit". However, if you have a flight booked out before the work permit ends then I can't see how it would be a problem with immigration to only insure yourself until then.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Hold the phone!

Go Travel Insurance - up to one year backpacker policies, £200/year, cover for work, allows THREE trips home during the policy, ample medical/repatriation cover - and you don't need a pre-booked return ticket!!!

I think I've found my policy!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hold the phone!

Go Travel Insurance - up to one year backpacker policies, £200/year, cover for work, allows THREE trips home during the policy, ample medical/repatriation cover - and you don't need a pre-booked return ticket!!!

I think I've found my policy!
Be aware that the standard policy only covers you for working in bars or fruit picking - other employment requires an additional premium.

https://www.gotravelinsurance.co.uk/...st=Backpackers

"Our standard policy covers bar work and fruit picking, other casual jobs can be covered for an additional premium. Please call 0844 482 0889 for further information."
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishcobra
Don't want to put a dampener on this for you but unless you're going for a spousal PR application, e.g. you're married/being married to a Canadian, you've not got much chance of getting PR in the next 9 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.