International Experience Canada

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

stizzyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hi everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who's got their letter already! Is it valid for one year from the date it's issued or the date you applied? I've got my NZ working visa as well so may go there first and finish my travels in Oz ,before heading to Vancouver...so the more of the summer I can have down under before going to Canada the better!

For anyone who hasn't been to Vancouver it's AMAZING. I went last year and its really obvious why it's been voted the number one city to live in. It literally has everything you could want. I haven't been to any other Canadian cities so I don't have a comparison but if they're as good as this then its going to be great!

Insurance-wise - I went to Oz on a WHP a couple of years ago and I think the best insurance policy I found was with LV. I'll double check the policy when I get home but I'm pretty sure it was £115 for six months full cover. Otherwise I think Nomads offer a pretty competitive rate as well.

My application was sent to London on the 15th Feb so I'm hoping I'll only have another week or so to wait!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

The visa is valid from the date you enter the country. I received my letter of introduction yesterday and it states on the letter, I must enter Canada by 26/2/2012... I'm trying to go next week. Looking at flights on the 4th of march...

Anyone ever heard of an "open return" flight? Want to book a flight asap but worried about not having a return ticket... If I get a flight for £230, would another £230 satisfy their requirements for a return flight?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

mrtomsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard of an open return flight, not actually sure how to get one though. I was in shared accomm in Vancouver about a year ago and this guy with dual nationality (canadian/british) said he has an open return.
Yeah so thats the story of how I have heard of it lol
I reckon having a return flight will make this process a lot easier but its just too difficult getting one a year later.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

britishcobra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stizzyb
Hi everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who's got their letter already! Is it valid for one year from the date it's issued or the date you applied? I've got my NZ working visa as well so may go there first and finish my travels in Oz ,before heading to Vancouver...so the more of the summer I can have down under before going to Canada the better!

For anyone who hasn't been to Vancouver it's AMAZING. I went last year and its really obvious why it's been voted the number one city to live in. It literally has everything you could want. I haven't been to any other Canadian cities so I don't have a comparison but if they're as good as this then its going to be great!

Insurance-wise - I went to Oz on a WHP a couple of years ago and I think the best insurance policy I found was with LV. I'll double check the policy when I get home but I'm pretty sure it was £115 for six months full cover. Otherwise I think Nomads offer a pretty competitive rate as well.

My application was sent to London on the 15th Feb so I'm hoping I'll only have another week or so to wait!
Mine got sent to London on the 15th too! let me know when you get yours cos hopefully I'll be just before or just after
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craig1987
The visa is valid from the date you enter the country. I received my letter of introduction yesterday and it states on the letter, I must enter Canada by 26/2/2012... I'm trying to go next week. Looking at flights on the 4th of march...

Anyone ever heard of an "open return" flight? Want to book a flight asap but worried about not having a return ticket... If I get a flight for £230, would another £230 satisfy their requirements for a return flight?
Open returns tend to be a lot more expensive don't they?

One option (depending on available cash) is to book a fully-refundable return flight with someone at some point in the future, then just ask for the refund once in Canada. I assume that's possible anyway!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

stizzyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking into open returns and I don't think they really exist anymore. Most airlines will allow you to change your return date as long as its within three months of departure from the UK (check the small print in case your fare doesn't allow you) and they usually charge you a fee, anything from £50-£150 as far as I can see.

Depending on the fare you pay you may be able to change it within a year of departure which is what I did when I went to Oz.

I'd speak to STA as they may be able to advise the best option. I'm looking at Round the World tickets but that's because I know I'm going to a few places first, this is then fully flexible and I can change my departure date from any place...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

I seem to be stuck in a loop of wanting to book things but not having the money... My mum returns from her holiday on friday and she's alot more sensible than me. Should probably sit down with her and talk over everything... Perhaps she'll even give me a loan that I could pay back as soon as I enter the country... That seems the most viable option. My last employer screwed me out of 10 paid holidays and I seem to be getting nowhere, plus a few people backed out on sales of some of my possessions... Maybe it's just time to get tough with these people.

On another note, I have a ps3. For those that aren't aware of the situation, there is currently a ban on them being imported to the eu... It's only temporary but if it turns out to be longer term, I could get a good bit of money for mine.

Worth a shot. As long as the flight I've been eyeing up doesn't sell out, then the tickets are just getting cheaper and cheaper...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

coachd is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my e-mail today confirming that ive been approved!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coachd
Got my e-mail today confirming that ive been approved!!! HAPPY DAYS!!!!
Feels great doesn't it? I received mine 25 hours and 21 minutes ago... Yes, I'm that specific. Whilst I haven't really gotten any further than I was before I got the email, I'm still very excited... It's just going to be a case of sitting down for an afternoon with someone sensible (i.e. my mum) and getting everything sorted.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my letter of introduction.

The introduction seems to says it's valid for entry into Canada up until 26th feb 2012, which makes me wonder if they do them in batches because I only just recieved it.

here's the time line of how it happened.

Sent 22nd January from a Canada post office in Oshawa, just outside Toronto. Set via "tracked" delivery which cost $38. However the trackig part never worked.

Confirmation received from France
28th January

Conditional acceptance
31st january

Receipt of proof of payment
2nd feb (sent 2nd feb)

First evaluation phase completed - application sent to London 3rd feb

Introduction letter received 2nd march.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

mansfield250 is an unknown quantity at this point

GOT MY LETTER! ! ! ! ! ! WOOHOO!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

justin_h is an unknown quantity at this point

im happy for all of you who's got theirs! but i think im going to cry soon if mine doesnt come through

im getting realllllly stressed out!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:46 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by justin_h
im happy for all of you who's got theirs! but i think im going to cry soon if mine doesnt come through

im getting realllllly stressed out!
What date were you transfered to London? I wouldn't worry, embassys are known for being a bit wierd at times, and putting the odd thing out of order - it's just the nature of the beast.

Well done to everyone who has their LoI so far! Hope the plans to come over here go well!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

justin_h is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mattieuk
What date were you transfered to London? I wouldn't worry, embassys are known for being a bit wierd at times, and putting the odd thing out of order - it's just the nature of the beast.

Well done to everyone who has their LoI so far! Hope the plans to come over here go well!
it was send to london 7th february! i know some people on this date have received theirs now. i know it'll probs come through in the next few days *touch wood* but im panicking
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:52 pm
Travelbug

poubelle is an unknown quantity at this point

aaahhhh congratulations to you all!! I'm so jealous!! Im just waiting on my PC coming back before I can even send my visa!!!! I don't need to be there until the end of May though.

Eeeee!!! The EXCITEMENT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.