International Experience Canada

Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Congrats man! Now get your behind off your friend's couch, and get flying!

Well done
Thanks. Going to try and book a flight for the middle of next week as my mum's currently on holiday and I would like to see her before I go. I can either travel to london or manchester and fly to vancouver, or fly from glasgow to toronto and bus it... The latter is cheaper and would mean I get to see a fair bit of the beautiful.

Originally Posted by mrtomsterman
congrats! Yours really did come first lol
Persistence... Hope everyone else's comes really soon. Was just kindof joking around...

Originally Posted by justin_h
WHATTTTTTTT!? WHERES MINE?!
Hopefully just being checked over before your email is sent.

Originally Posted by mrtomsterman
I am sure he was lucky! Mine was sent to london on the 7th too. We should be the next batch
About time I got some luck...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

mansfield250 is an unknown quantity at this point

mine was posted to london on the 3rd Feb! still waiting, should i be worried?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mansfield250
mine was posted to london on the 3rd Feb! still waiting, should i be worried?
Nah. I've done office jobs before... Your application will most likely be getting processed, it's just a matter of luck as to who picks up your file and when. While I can't personally speak for the youth and mobility section, I'm guessing they'll have an "inbox" where all the applications are stacked. Unfortunately this means someone whose application was forwarded earlier may lose out to some lucky individual (like me). Shouldn't be long now though.

I have a theory that my ugly mug shot is what inspired someone to pick up my file...

Last edited by Craig1987; Mar 1st 2011 at 5:02 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this, the I.e.c says you have to have insurance upon entry to Canada. I'm going to be flagpoling to get my I.e.c as I'm already in Canada on a WHV and the job I'm going to be at gives me full Heath coverage. Does anyone think this could suffice? - I imagine I'm not going to be the only one wondering about this. We don't even know yet if they will be checking our insurance upon entry, guess we will have to see!

What does everyone think?
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

kc85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Nah. I've done office jobs before... Your application will most likely be getting processed, it's just a matter of luck as to who picks up your file and when. While I can't personally speak for the youth and mobility section, I'm guessing they'll have an "inbox" where all the applications are stacked. Unfortunately this means someone whose application was forwarded earlier may lose out to some lucky individual (like me). Shouldn't be long now though.

I have a theory that my ugly mug shot is what inspired someone to pick up my file...
ahh congrats dude- know this has been killing you- keep us posted on how you get on in canada in the next few weeks!!what jobs ypou gonna be searching for out in canada? judging by my temp job not sure i can settle for just anything when am out there!!!

p.s looks like i hopefully filled in the iec decleration form correctly then lol
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this, the I.e.c says you have to have insurance upon entry to Canada. I'm going to be flagpoling to get my I.e.c as I'm already in Canada on a WHV and the job I'm going to be at gives me full Heath coverage. Does anyone think this could suffice? - I imagine I'm not going to be the only one wondering about this. We don't even know yet if they will be checking our insurance upon entry, guess we will have to see!

What does everyone think?
I'm in a similar position to you, in that I have a job lined up already here in Canada, and currently have Ontario Health Insurance. I was wondering if I just present my job offer and contract they would see that my OHIP would kick in (after 3 months from the date you start work) and therefore I would only need to provide 3 months worth of travel insurance.

When I get my letter of introduction I'm going to call up CIC and see what advice they can give me on it, but someone else who might know the answer will hopefully be along soon!

Last edited by conjonway; Mar 2nd 2011 at 3:18 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
I'm in a similar position to you, in that I have a job lined up already here in Canada, and currently have Ontario Health Insurance. I was wondering if I just present my job offer and contract they would see that my OHIP would kick in (after 3 months from the date you start work) and therefore I would only need to provide 3 months worth of travel insurance.

When I get my letter of introduction I'm going to call up CIC and see what advice they can give me on it, but someone else who might know the answer will hopefully be along soon!
One of the requirements on the IEC eligibility page is that insurance covers repatriation. I would assume your occupational insurance does not cover this and therefore doesn't meet the requirements. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that it wasn't acceptable, but can't remember where.

I am only speculating based on what is on the IEC scheme website. You may need to send an email to the official address for clarification

Last edited by ChrisBan; Mar 2nd 2011 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kc85
ahh congrats dude- know this has been killing you- keep us posted on how you get on in canada in the next few weeks!!what jobs ypou gonna be searching for out in canada? judging by my temp job not sure i can settle for just anything when am out there!!!

p.s looks like i hopefully filled in the iec decleration form correctly then lol
I'll just settle for anything to begin with... I'd rather my pride took a bit of a dent than my savings...

I'm thinking of going in about a week... Cheapest option (to vancouver) seems to be to fly to Toronto from Glasgow then get a greyhound bus... Going to look into it today. Might even try and spend a night or two in Toronto incase I don't like Vancouver... I highly doubt it, but I might as well see a bit of it while I'm there. If I don't settle in Vancouver, I can always hop on a bus...

Edit: Before I book my flight, does anyone know what the rule is for return flights? I was planning on booking a one way flight. Would this suffice or would they want to see me book a return?

Last edited by Craig1987; Mar 2nd 2011 at 11:13 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

I'll just settle for anything to begin with... I'd rather my pride took a bit of a dent than my savings...

I'm thinking of going in about a week... Cheapest option (to vancouver) seems to be to fly to Toronto from Glasgow then get a greyhound bus... Going to look into it today. Might even try and spend a night or two in Toronto incase I don't like Vancouver... I highly doubt it, but I might as well see a bit of it while I'm there. If I don't settle in Vancouver, I can always hop on a bus...

Edit: Before I book my flight, does anyone know what the rule is for return flights? I was planning on booking a one way flight. Would this suffice or would they want to see me book a return?
You're fine to book a one-way flight as long as you can show you have proof of funds to buy a return flight later on, as well as the $3,000 standard proof of funds. They may ask for it at the border, or they may not - depends if you get an easy-going immigration officer I guess!

However, one issue (that I've only just found out) is that getting insurance on a one-way ticket is tricky! Most insurance companies state that you must have a return ticket booked. So I may just go back and book a return ticket anyway to make things easier...
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
You're fine to book a one-way flight as long as you can show you have proof of funds to buy a return flight later on, as well as the $3,000 standard proof of funds. They may ask for it at the border, or they may not - depends if you get an easy-going immigration officer I guess!

However, one issue (that I've only just found out) is that getting insurance on a one-way ticket is tricky! Most insurance companies state that you must have a return ticket booked. So I may just go back and book a return ticket anyway to make things easier...
Are you talking about the Health insurance or insurance on a flight? I plan on extending my visa, but don't want to pay for insurance for 2 years unless I get rejected next time around... Another problem is that I am low on funds... I have just enough for a one way flight, the bus to vancouver the insurance and then I'll just be at the $3000 limit give or take... Some money that was due to me hasn't came my way, plus I was going to sell a few things and that fell through as well.

The only thing I can think of right now is to borrow money from someone using my Guitar as collateral, but it could be a bit tricky...

Edit: Quote from my letter of introduction.

"To apply for an extension of your stay in Canada (this should be done at least 30 days before the expiry date of your work permit) or to modify the conditions of your stay, please consult www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp or contact the CIC Call Center at 1-888-242-2100."

I presume I'll be able to take the "second term" at the end of the first year. Hope they won't need to check for a balance though. At this point, I'd have a job and somewhere to live, but I may have dipped into my savings quite a bit...

Last edited by Craig1987; Mar 2nd 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

tripsammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have joined this forum as I am struggling with the Participation fee payment. I have been to Nat West and they say I can only pay their costs not all bank costs, there seems to be an £8.50 charge at the french end, do I ignore this or do I make a payment of £98.50 to cover it? Can anyone please advise? Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers

Check with your airline. The airline is responsible for ensuring that you're going to go home if you're not a resident. If they believe there's a chance you'll overstay, they'll not let you fly.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Are you talking about the Health insurance or insurance on a flight? I plan on extending my visa, but don't want to pay for insurance for 2 years unless I get rejected next time around... Another problem is that I am low on funds... I have just enough for a one way flight, the bus to vancouver the insurance and then I'll just be at the $3000 limit give or take... Some money that was due to me hasn't came my way, plus I was going to sell a few things and that fell through as well.

The only thing I can think of right now is to borrow money from someone using my Guitar as collateral, but it could be a bit tricky...

Edit: Quote from my letter of introduction.

"To apply for an extension of your stay in Canada (this should be done at least 30 days before the expiry date of your work permit) or to modify the conditions of your stay, please consult www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp or contact the CIC Call Center at 1-888-242-2100."

I presume I'll be able to take the "second term" at the end of the first year. Hope they won't need to check for a balance though. At this point, I'd have a job and somewhere to live, but I may have dipped into my savings quite a bit...
Travel insurance all round (including health insurance and repatriation, which you need for the visa). Most companies require a return flight to be booked, but there are some that don't (Insure&Go seem to be one, someone also has mentioned the Post Office - there is a Wiki article on this). However, this limits your options, and the cheapest quote I've found so far on a one-way ticket is for £250, compared to £100 with any company requiring a return.

You will have to reapply for the second year of IEC as you have for the first by the looks of things. It also looks as though you'll have to exit the country and re-enter to activate the second visa when you have it, at which point I assume they'd be looking at proof of funds, insurance etc. again.

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Check with your airline. The airline is responsible for ensuring that you're going to go home if you're not a resident. If they believe there's a chance you'll overstay, they'll not let you fly.
Good point - worth checking with the airline first. I rang Canadian Affair and they said they'd be fine, but I'm planning on taking full evidence of proof of funds, and the visa application instructions which say you don't need a return flight. The risk isn't so much that you'll overstay, but that you'll get rejected at the border on arrival and the airline is then responsible for flying you back at their expense.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

badniks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Been lurking for a short while, this thread has been really useful for me in the last few weeks!

I joined because I have a couple of questions that I'm not sure other people might be able to help me out with:

a) I received my acknowledgement of receipt e-mail from Paris on Monday afternoon (28th Feb) - since I see a lot of people have had their provisional acceptance through the same day as this e-mail, should I have cause for concern that this hasn't happened with me? Do you get an e-mail to inform you that your application is being returned for whatever reason?

b) I filled out the form properly except for one tiny detail that I noticed about an hour after I'd sent it - on the declaration form, I'd ticked a box about dependents, though I noticed later it instructs you to put N/A if you have none, which I don't. Has anyone here been rejected for something like this?

I think I might be being paranoid to be honest (it's probably just sat on an office temp's desk, I've done that kind of job before!) but you know how it is with these things! I feel like I'm picking at questions after the exam's finished.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by badniks
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a short while, this thread has been really useful for me in the last few weeks!

I joined because I have a couple of questions that I'm not sure other people might be able to help me out with:

a) I received my acknowledgement of receipt e-mail from Paris on Monday afternoon (28th Feb) - since I see a lot of people have had their provisional acceptance through the same day as this e-mail, should I have cause for concern that this hasn't happened with me? Do you get an e-mail to inform you that your application is being returned for whatever reason?

b) I filled out the form properly except for one tiny detail that I noticed about an hour after I'd sent it - on the declaration form, I'd ticked a box about dependents, though I noticed later it instructs you to put N/A if you have none, which I don't. Has anyone here been rejected for something like this?

I think I might be being paranoid to be honest (it's probably just sat on an office temp's desk, I've done that kind of job before!) but you know how it is with these things! I feel like I'm picking at questions after the exam's finished.
I've been exactly the same, and I think loads of others are too!

For what it's worth, it took a full week for me to get my conditional acceptance through, so don't stress too much yet! I think that dependents declaration may have been changed recently, as when I filled it out I ticked it, but others have since said it now says to "N/A" it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.