Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Read a few up ^^ ACE backpackers insurance is what you want. Around 180 GBP per year. But if you are working in Ontario at least, you will get Free Heathcare after 3 months.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
Guys approx. what figure are we looking at for annual insurance? What is the price range? £300-500? Also, does it change if you have a minor medical condition such as asthma or an allergy? Thanks
I have a pre-existing medical condition and the price did not go up and the excess for medical assistance is only £75 which is one the cheapest around. Just be honest with them.

I have chosen 13 months cover with ACE INSURANCE! The good thing is, is that if you need to come back home they suspend your cover until you go travelling again. I paid £180.77 in total but this does not cover personal items, baggage or money. There is the option to add this level of cover to become standard for £40 but if you read the small print, it's not worth it.

Good luck
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Yes it is one of the few that actually lets you leave the country and keep your coverage, which was a major selling point for me.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Yes it is one of the few that actually lets you leave the country and keep your coverage, which was a major selling point for me.
I agree, it is good cover but I've found some horrible reviews about the company. I'll be in Toronto so I'll have free healthcare after 3 months via OHIP I hope.

I'm still a bit iffy about entering as a tourist and then flagpoling lol, knowing me it'll go wrong
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Nice 1 cheers guys
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
I agree, it is good cover but I've found some horrible reviews about the company. I'll be in Toronto so I'll have free healthcare after 3 months via OHIP I hope.

I'm still a bit iffy about entering as a tourist and then flagpoling lol, knowing me it'll go wrong

It will be totally fine, they will let you in as a tourist no problem, you have to tell them if you are picking up a permit, so they will just stamp your passport ask you some questions, and let you in.

ACE are great until you need to claim, they have fine print. They said my phone was covered as a personal belonging, and it was stolen, and I filed a claim, and they said no, it was not covered.

Health wise, I never had to claim.

But honestly, healthcare is cheap in Canada. I blacked out, went to hospital, was in the ER for 3 hours, had an EKG, blood test, Urine test, and something else....$16..
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP!! I am getting conflicting info here, please can someone confirm - do I need to show I have travel insurance to cover the entire period of my IEC visa or do I only need it to cover the first 3 months until I can get free OHIP??

Confused.com.... lol
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Melmo is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be totally fine, they will let you in as a tourist no problem, you have to tell them if you are picking up a permit, so they will just stamp your passport ask you some questions, and let you in.

ACE are great until you need to claim, they have fine print. They said my phone was covered as a personal belonging, and it was stolen, and I filed a claim, and they said no, it was not covered.

Health wise, I never had to claim.

But honestly, healthcare is cheap in Canada. I blacked out, went to hospital, was in the ER for 3 hours, had an EKG, blood test, Urine test, and something else....$16..
If you enter as a tourist first do you need a return flight? I am flying to Toronto and then to America for 4 weeks and don't want to activate my visa until I re enter Toronto 4 weeks later but I don't have a return flight, will this be a problem if I am not activating my visa as soon as I enter Canada?
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I think , personally, from my experience, they are not very strict in at the border for Brits. Just tell them you are planning on going to America, and show them proof of your plans if they ask.

Remember to sign up for your Visa waiver before you enter the states! You might have more issues at the US border than the Canadian one as you cannot prove you are planning on leaving the states - but I have no personal experience there, but just be ready to explain about your permit to the Lovely US customs officials.

Last edited by scottyxx; Jun 11th 2012 at 1:13 am.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UK_Claire
HELP!! I am getting conflicting info here, please can someone confirm - do I need to show I have travel insurance to cover the entire period of my IEC visa or do I only need it to cover the first 3 months until I can get free OHIP??

Confused.com.... lol
If you follow the rules, they will only issue you a work permit up to and including the last day covered by your travel insurance. This is because the IEC permit does not prove that you are eligible for OHIP, as you need to work for 3 months before you get OHIP.

BUT that being said, it is unlikely they will ask you for proof of insurance from what others are saying. But there is a chance.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Confused.com.... lol
IEC is really clear on this so despite what some comments have said on here, it is not worth taking the risk of not getting insurance unless you absolutely can't afford it! You need to get insurance for one year, the full length of your visa. I know of people who purchased insurance for shorter periods, and only received a work permit until when their insurance expires. You may not get asked to show insurance in all likelihood, but it's a requirement of the program and you absolutely should bear that in mind.

FYI, OHIP only kicks in after 3 months if you have a contract of employment for a minimum of 6 months.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Confused.com.... lol
Personally get the insurance coverage for the whole duration as that is one of the IEC qualifiers regardless if you get OHIP coverage or not. What if some zealous CBSA officer asks for it and you dont have coverage try explaining that one.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I will get it for the full duration then just in case as knowing my luck it'll all go wrong if I don't!

Thanks for the advice

Also, anyone in the Toronto area we should arrange a meet up!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, I will get it for the full duration then just in case as knowing my luck it'll all go wrong if I don't!

Thanks for the advice

Also, anyone in the Toronto area we should arrange a meet up!
Im in Guelph! Been here for 2 years, Guelph is around like 100Km from Toronto, via the big main highway. So close!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Melmo is an unknown quantity at this point

I think , personally, from my experience, they are not very strict in at the border for Brits. Just tell them you are planning on going to America, and show them proof of your plans if they ask.

Remember to sign up for your Visa waiver before you enter the states! You might have more issues at the US border than the Canadian one as you cannot prove you are planning on leaving the states - but I have no personal experience there, but just be ready to explain about your permit to the Lovely US customs officials.
Thanks, just want to make sure I have covered everything before I go! Leaving here in 2 weeks! I have my ESTA for the US so hopefully if I can prove I am going back to Canada in 4 weeks and have my LOI, they should be ok!

Hoping my LOI arrives soon, I was sent to CIC on 1st June!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.